Just back from the Beyond 3/5-3/12 sailing

industrious95

Back from our March 5-12 cruise, here's a few notes:

We were AquaClass in cabin 9276.  The room was spotless and well serviced.  Tons of storage space.  No complaints at all.

As far as the Infinity Balcony debate, it was definitely different than what we're used to.  I could take it or leave it.  It was wonderful sleeping with the window open at night, with the cool Caribbean breeze to cool the room and the sound of the waves.  The last two days of the cruise were windy and we experienced the creaking sounds others have mentioned.  It doesn't come from the window, it comes from the ceiling above.  My guess is that the winds gets in there.  We didn't have it too bad and it didn't affect my sleep. 

We ate all our dinners at Blu.  The service was wonderful.  The food was good.  Escargot and shrimp cocktail as much as you wanted it.  We had lobster tail one night and filet Mignon twice.  Wine service was good.  We asked for wines that weren't on the wine list, and the Sommelier (hope I spelled it right) went to other restaurants to get it.  We would get to the restaurant at 8PM, and were always greeted with a smile an a friendly welcome.  One day they told us we would have to wait ten minutes for a table so we went next door to the bar at Eden, and the Maitre'de from Blu came over after about 15 minutes to tell us our table was ready whenever we were ready.  On the "basic drink package" we got 15% off.  Our travel friends were on the "Premium drink package" and got 20% off. 

Never tried any of the specialty restaurants.  There was enough variety and great service in Blue.  Never went to any of the MDRs either.

We used room service for continental breakfast, usually just coffee, tea or juice, and it was always on time as promised.  No charge for continental menu in Blu.  We ate lunch at the buffet most days, and a late breakfast a few times.  

For breakfast, Eggs Benedict was okay, the eggs poached perfectly every day, but their Hollandaise sauce not that great.  Scrambled eggs were pretty bad.  Oatmeal was fine.  Always lots of fresh cut fruit. 

For lunch, the caeser salad station was always crisp and fresh.  Everything else was run-of-the mill buffet, nothing to write home about.   There is a burger grill buy the pool bar, and the burgers were nice and juicy and greasy (in a good way).   Pizza station was often crowded, during lunch they couldn't make it fast enough.  When it was hot and out of the oven, it was pretty good.  Other times, it would sit and get dried out under the red warming lights.

Biggest complaint was trying to find a lounge chair outdoors.  By 8am on Sea days, almost every chair was "reserved," although they were often empty until 11 or 12.  But it seemed if you walked around enough, you could always find one or two after walking around the entire 14 & 15 decks.

Bar service was awful at the sunset deck and pool deck.  Their were not enough bartenders and no smiles at all from the staff.

Never waited longer than a couple minutes at the martini bar, even during peak times.  As others have said "silent disco" was a trip!  We totally loved it.

We put down a $200 deposit for a future cruise.  We were very happy with Celebrity and may try again.

If anyone has any specific questions, I'll be happy to share our experience.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, industrious95 said:

We were AquaClass in cabin 9276.  The room was spotless and well serviced.  Tons of storage space.  No complaints at all.

As far as the Infinity Balcony debate, it was definitely different than what we're used to.  I could take it or leave it.  It was wonderful sleeping with the window open at night, with the cool Caribbean breeze to cool the room and the sound of the waves.  The last two days of the cruise were windy and we experienced the creaking sounds others have mentioned.  It doesn't come from the window, it comes from the ceiling above.  My guess is that the winds gets in there.  We didn't have it too bad and it didn't affect my sleep. 

We ate all our dinners at Blu.  The service was wonderful.  The food was good.  Escargot and shrimp cocktail as much as you wanted it.  We had lobster tail one night and filet Mignon twice.  Wine service was good.  We asked for wines that weren't on the wine list, and the Sommelier (hope I spelled it right) went to other restaurants to get it.  We would get to the restaurant at 8PM, and were always greeted with a smile an a friendly welcome.  One day they told us we would have to wait ten minutes for a table so we went next door to the bar at Eden, and the Maitre'de from Blu came over after about 15 minutes to tell us our table was ready whenever we were ready.  On the "basic drink package" we got 15% off.  Our travel friends were on the "Premium drink package" and got 20% off. 

Never tried any of the specialty restaurants.  There was enough variety and great service in Blue.  Never went to any of the MDRs either.

We used room service for continental breakfast, usually just coffee, tea or juice, and it was always on time as promised.  No charge for continental menu in Blu.  We ate lunch at the buffet most days, and a late breakfast a few times.  

For breakfast, Eggs Benedict was okay, the eggs poached perfectly every day, but their Hollandaise sauce not that great.  Scrambled eggs were pretty bad.  Oatmeal was fine.  Always lots of fresh cut fruit. 

For lunch, the caeser salad station was always crisp and fresh.  Everything else was run-of-the mill buffet, nothing to write home about.   There is a burger grill buy the pool bar, and the burgers were nice and juicy and greasy (in a good way).   Pizza station was often crowded, during lunch they couldn't make it fast enough.  When it was hot and out of the oven, it was pretty good.  Other times, it would sit and get dried out under the red warming lights.

Biggest complaint was trying to find a lounge chair outdoors.  By 8am on Sea days, almost every chair was "reserved," although they were often empty until 11 or 12.  But it seemed if you walked around enough, you could always find one or two after walking around the entire 14 & 15 decks.

Bar service was awful at the sunset deck and pool deck.  Their were not enough bartenders and no smiles at all from the staff.

Never waited longer than a couple minutes at the martini bar, even during peak times.  As others have said "silent disco" was a trip!  We totally loved it.

We put down a $200 deposit for a future cruise.  We were very happy with Celebrity and may try again.

Thank you for the review we leave on sunday.  Question, the first night at Blu they have veal and duck and a ravioli, my other half and adult daughter do not eat duck or veal and we stay away from pasta.  Do they offer a steak there like the MDR does and or can you order a main entree from the MDR.  I have posts on this and they are 50/50 yes and no so like to hear what your thoughts are on this thank you.

My friend was talking to me withing earshot of our waiter, and he said he would prefer a steak.  The waiter mentioned that he could get us a NY Strip Steak, which was not on the menu.  That's also how we found out about the escargot.  My friend was very pleased and said it tasted quite good.

Just as another note, the bread is all freshly made every day.  They have a dark, multigrain bread that we asked for refills on several nights.  We asked for extra butter one night, and every night after that they brought it out without being asked.

I am not a fan of veal, but I decided to try the veal tenderloin.  It almost tasted like a filet mignon, it was quite tasty and verytender.  They do tend to drown the meat in a brown mushroom sauce.

I found the servers in Blu very accommodating.  I asked for Ceaser salad several times, it was never on the menu and it was never a problem.

For desert, I figured that since it was Strawberry season in Florida, I asked for a scoop of vanilla ice cream with fresh Strawberries.  It was delicious and I think I had it 3 nights.

The only request they couldn't fulfill was when I asked for a bottle of Montepulciano.  The Sommelier said he would check and was gone almost 10 minutes until he came back and said they didn't have any on the ship. 

I've read some very negative reviews of the wine offerings and the food.   Maybe my palate isn't as sophisticated as some of those critics, but I was very happy with the food and the wine.

A quick note about the internet service.  I upgraded our "basic internet" to the "Premium internet."  On multiple locations on the ship, I couldn't make wifi calls or send text messages.  We tried face timing with our daughter and she couldn't see us.  For the extra $10/day/passenger, it was a total waste for me.  We both have iPhone 12's with all updated iOS versions.  Our email worked, but I have no idea if the email I sent out at 12:00 was received stateside at 12:01, or hours later.  Starlink on the Beyond in the Cribbean isn't what I would consider "ready for prime time."

Glad you enjoyed your cruise.  We have done many sailing in Blu and love it: actually prefer it to Luminae.

Thanks for sharing your experience, we were on tge Beyond in October and she is now our favorite Celebrity ship.

On 3/13/2023 at 7:18 PM, industrious95 said:

What is your thoughts on the thermal spa?  Do you think aqua class is worth the extra money?  Thanks for your information.  

It's really a personal choice.  I'm 65 and have lived my entire life without sitting in a sweaty hot room listening to soothing music.  I guess I just don't "get it."

Anyway, I'm not a spa person, so I don't think it the spa was worth it. 

The main benefit to Aqua Class, from what I could tell, was being able to go into the Blu Restaurant.  Otherwise, Aqua Class is a collection of options you could buy individually, such as a drink package and the wifi. Aqua Class includes a few silly features, such as a pillow menu, "environmentally wonderful" soap in the shower and the use of a yoga mat in your cabin.  Those aren't the things I generally shop for when booking my vacation.

On 3/13/2023 at 8:03 PM, Cruisegirl6 said:

Thank you for the review we leave on sunday.  Question, the first night at Blu they have veal and duck and a ravioli, my other half and adult daughter do not eat duck or veal and we stay away from pasta.  Do they offer a steak there like the MDR does and or can you order a main entree from the MDR.  I have posts on this and they are 50/50 yes and no so like to hear what your thoughts are on this thank you.

You should ask for the always available menu.  On that menu, there are items like shrimp cocktail, Caesar salad, French onion soup, salmon, chicken and sirloin strip steak.  They are available every night and we order from this menu when there is nothing we like.  I had the soup and strip streak with mashed potatoes and they were excellent.  

We were flatly refused to order from the MDR but were told they had to go to Deck 3 to get the soup.