Embarkation Lunch

tjcletzgo

The appetisers include grilled vegetables with Italian meats, bay shrimp salad with avocado and a Tuscan-style vegetable soup.  The pasta is a cheese ravioli with marinara.  The entrees include a cheeseburger, beef tenderloin, salmon or chicken cacciatore.  The desserts include an orange soufflé.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NIkkiGR said:

Is the MDR open on all Princess ships upon embarkation 

Only one Main Dining Room is open, and the crew will not tell you about it.  The crew is instructed to direct you to the buffet.  

The embarkation day lunch menu seems to be the same one offered on every ship for many years.  I recommend the souffle.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike45LC said:

Only one Main Dining Room is open, and the crew will not tell you about it.  The crew is instructed to direct you to the buffet.  

Knowing that you can avoid the buffet for embarkation lunch is one of the best tips I've picked up here. The MDR was mostly empty, I'd guess above 20% occupied.

The lunch menu on the Diamond I sailed out of San Diego in February had a different lunch menu than the one posted above.  I specifically remember ordering mango ice cream, and the waiter did a double take because he wasn't aware it was on the menu and it became a running joke between us the rest of the meal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mike45LC said:

The embarkation day lunch menu seems to be the same one offered on every ship for many years.  I recommend the souffle.  

Thanks. I also noted it was not listed as open on the a recent Patter on a thread I have been following. I will be checking it out on Friday 

26 minutes ago, NIkkiGR said:

Thanks. I also noted it was not listed as open on the a recent Patter on a thread I have been following. I will be checking it out on Friday 

I thought that this was listed on the Patter as being open, but you usually don't have access to the Patter until after the MDR is closed for lunch.  

Is the MDR open on all Princess ships upon embarkation 

usually but NOT always for various reasons

it was not listed in the Patter for our current Crown cruise, but even though boarding was delayed DaVinci was open for MDR lunch

Edited by travelin.sisters

2 hours ago, travelin.sisters said:

usually but NOT always for various reasons

it was not listed in the Patter for our current Crown cruise, but even though boarding was delayed DaVinci was open for MDR lunch

The thread I was referring to is yours! That is where I looked. Thanks for letting me know. We get on the Crown when you get off. I am hoping that we will be on board before the MDR closes. 

• Like 1

Maybe we will see you there. We much prefer the MDR to the buffet.

Rhonda

10 hours ago, Kolleen said:

Rhonda

Sometimes the buffet does have better options. It only takes a few minutes and  pays to check it out. 

10 hours ago, Kolleen said:

Rhonda

We always go to the MDR for embarkation lunch or Alfredo’s.  The buffet is such chaos the first day and you literally wander around and around holding your plate to find a seat and your food gets cold.  No thank you!  We like our first day to be relaxing and comfortable.  The food is so much nicer in the MDR, too.  So many people walk by Alfredo’s not realizing it’s complimentary dining.  Don’t tell! lol

On some of the newest ships Alfredo’s is renamed Gigi’s.

Edited by Lady Arwen
  • Like 1

We went to Gigi's on the the first day in Dec, which was OK but then I found out that at the buffet they were carving roasted turkey ! 🦃 😃

If you're early to board there's never any problem finding seats at the buffet. It only gets crowded later on.

14 minutes ago, david63 said:

What time does the MDR open for lunch on embarkation day?

Noon, I believe.

Far too early for us,  as we will have taken full advantage of the Premier Inn buffet breakfast !

• Like 2