Gift/Snacks/anything for cast members on cruises

cruisingisfun00

I've been on a few cruises but as the more experienced I've become, the more conscious I've become of the human side of employees. I've met homesick employees and I've talked with employees who you can tell dearly miss their family.

I know that everyone talks about the value of tips for staff, but has anyone found specific gifts that cast members appreciate? I was thinking of either something local, but also I've thought some about filipino snacks - since I'm sure that there are little things that they miss from home.

I just mention filipino since I know that there are tons of filipino cruise staff... and I know that food has to be prepackaged.

Any hints? :) Thanks!

1 hour ago, cruisingisfun00 said:

I've been on a few cruises but as the more experienced I've become, the more conscious I've become of the human side of employees. I've met homesick employees and I've talked with employees who you can tell dearly miss their family.

I know that everyone talks about the value of tips for staff, but has anyone found specific gifts that cast members appreciate? I was thinking of either something local, but also I've thought some about filipino snacks - since I'm sure that there are little things that they miss from home.

I just mention filipino since I know that there are tons of filipino cruise staff... and I know that food has to be prepackaged.

Any hints? 🙂 Thanks!

Typically an extra cash tip is more appreciated.  You have no way of knowing whether your room host/servers have any allergies to food products, and crew member quarters are pretty small and not conducive to tchotchkes.  

I have read that the CMs onboard like current magazines.

One thing, the CMs onboard DCL are not as predominantly from the south Pacific area as on other lines.  

Edited by Shmoo here
  • Like 2

Yeah, I know that they're small. I wasn't really thinking tchotchkes. 

That's interesting about magazines, I never would have thought about that (since I take internet access for granted)

Thanks for the mention about not as predominantly from the south pacific. I couldn't remember since the last cruise I was on was pre-pandemic...

While extra cash is certainly appreciated, the absolute best thing you can do is mention them by name on your comment card or in a follow-up email (or if someone not in a normally tipped position such as the crew who are always cleaning the bathrooms, stair rails, etc. you can go to Guest Services and get a card then). Those are noted, recognized, and saved and can go a long way towards getting a crew member a promotion and/or a raise which will ultimately help them more in the long run than a little extra cash in the moment.

• Like 1