Sushi rice

shepherd really

I had some of the least enjoyable sushi rice on my most recent cruise.  It was sweet and there was no taste of mirin.  This was both in Red Ginger and Terrace and I tried it several times over the course of a week.

Anyone else notice something amiss with the sushi rice or was this a one off?

Edited by shepherd really

15 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

I had some of the least enjoyable sushi rice on my most recent cruise.  It was sweet and there was no taste of mirin.  This was both in Red Ginger and Terrace and I tried it several times over the course of a week.

Anyone else notice something amiss with the sushi rice or was this a one off?

There were never good sushi onboard Oceania ships. Can’t be compared to any sushi places that I have been on land. Fortunately, we don’t cruise for sushi.

• Like 1

While we like sushi here and there we did not sample it onboard.  I am not surprised that Terrace is nothing special as part of a buffet but I would have thought Red Ginger would be closer to the real deal.  I wonder if there is some reason if they use plain rice?  Fyi, I assume most of the supermarket lunch type sushi we get here is also plain.  I am not even close to an expert on sushi but generally prefer sashimi.

Edited by Woofa
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, osandomir said:

There were never good sushi onboard Oceania ships. Can’t be compared to any sushi places that I have been on land. Fortunately, we don’t cruise for sushi.

It was bad enough that it stood out from both the rest of the offerings, which were quite good and my previous experience with sushi on O pre-covid.

17 minutes ago, Woofa said:

While we like sushi here and there we did not sample it onboard.  I am not surprised that Terrace is nothing special as part of a buffet but I would have thought Red Ginger would be closer to the real deal.  I wonder if there is some reason if they use plain rice?  Fyi, I assume most of the supermarket lunch type sushi we get here is also plain.  I am not even close to an expert on sushi but generally prefer sashimi.

I've been eating sushi for decades, the rice was the correct short grain rice but the flavor was way off.  Not a hint of mirin (sushi vinegar) and a cloying sweetness that had no business being a flavor component.  

It stood out because it was so much below the standards I have come to expect.  At first I thought someone in the kitchen screwed up, but it happened over a week, s it wasn't a one off error.  

• Like 1

We have found the sushi on all the ships to be sub-par. Even in Red Ginger. We learned the hard way. But it is such a small part of the dining options that we don't mind skipping the sushi when we see it.

Edited by CruiseLibra
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, CruiseLibra said:

We have found the sushi on all the ships to be sub-par. Even in Red Ginger. We learned the hard way. But it is such a small part of the dining options that we don't mind skipping the sushi when we see it.

I agree it is a small part of dining, but it was a jarring miss that is such a simple thing to get right.  Making sushi rice is a pretty basic skill. I would think that anyone in the kitchen should have done better and also is a comment on how tightly the food leaving the kitchen is being checked for quality.

30 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

I agree it is a small part of dining, but it was a jarring miss that is such a simple thing to get right.  Making sushi rice is a pretty basic skill. I would think that anyone in the kitchen should have done better and also is a comment on how tightly the food leaving the kitchen is being checked for quality.

Yes pretty basic.  We were on Marina in the Terrace and the chef was making it (and sashimi) with literally frozen tuna and putting it out unthawed. 

Then the again serving staff were making plates -- yes mam -- wasabi, ginger and red soy...  Pour the soy into a cup, add the wasabi and throw the raw ginger into the soy.

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I despise sushi, can't stand it, but my wife loves it. She's vegetarian, does anyone know if Oceania ever has vegetarian-friendly sushi? (No seafood)

If  she lets  them know   they can probably make  her  a the vegetarian option

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

If  she lets  them know   they can probably make  her  a the vegetarian option

Thank you for that suggestion! Somehow I always assume "what you see is what you get" on cruise menus. Never hurts to ask, right?

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

Thank you for that suggestion! Somehow I always assume "what you see is what you get" on cruise menus. Never hurts to ask, right?

if you do not ask  for what you want  you will not get what you want LOL

If she has specific dietary issues  make sure it is on her file   so they can work with her  for meals

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

if you do not ask  for what you want  you will not get what you want LOL

If she has specific dietary issues  make sure it is on her file   so they can work with her  for meals

We already did that, we communicated her vegetarian 'status' some time ago, so they know. I was just wondering what we might find as a general matter. Thanks!

1 hour ago, zalusky said:

I was on the Bali to Sydney sailing in May on Regatta and found the rice to be dry with no flavor.  I was also disappointed in how thin the salmon and tuna  cuts were.   Definitely a low point.

You can always take some tuna and salmon nigiri, take some tuna and salmon sashimi, and put a second slice of each fish on top of the nigiri. or just get a plate full of sashimi. You can make your own ponzu by squeezing fresh lemon slices into the shoyu.

Just now, susiesan said:

You can always take some tuna and salmon nigiri, take some tuna and salmon sashimi, and put a second slice of each fish on top of the nigiri. or just get a plate full of sashimi. You can make your own ponzu by squeezing fresh lemon slices into the shoyu.

Yes I did that but I personally prefer biting into bigger pieces.  I felt like I had to take a good 15 pieces to get anywhere near the quantity I enjoy i a good sashimi meal.  Overall the Sushi bar was disappointing.

33 minutes ago, zalusky said:

Yes I did that but I personally prefer biting into bigger pieces.  I felt like I had to take a good 15 pieces to get anywhere near the quantity I enjoy i a good sashimi meal.  Overall the Sushi bar was disappointing.

Agree, but it was still better than not having any sushi at all. Years ago the sushi chef would make you a custom hand roll to order but not anymore. That was great.

11 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Agree, but it was still better than not having any sushi at all. Years ago the sushi chef would make you a custom hand roll to order but not anymore. That was great.

I have to think on that.  Maybe 10% better than no sushi.  Due to the dryness of the rice I found none of the actual sushi was edible for me. 

4 minutes ago, zalusky said:

I have to think on that.  Maybe 10% better than no sushi.  Due to the dryness of the rice I found none of the actual sushi was edible for me. 

Well you're better than I - ALL sushi is inedible for me. Something about 1) raw fish and 2) seaweed. No thanks! I know lots of people who love sushi, but not this guy.

7 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I despise sushi, can't stand it, but my wife loves it. She's vegetarian, does anyone know if Oceania ever has vegetarian-friendly sushi? (No seafood)

The sushi on the room service menu is vegetarian CA rolls:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Well you're better than I - ALL sushi is inedible for me. Something about 1) raw fish and 2) seaweed. No thanks! I know lots of people who love sushi, but not this guy.

Two of my last meal favorites.  Sorry for your loss!

One of my adventure experiments was something called Shirako  (fish sperm) as compared to Ikura (salmon eggs)