From Yacht Club back to Bella! Is there any going back?! Live review MSC Virtuosa 17-24th March.

ConnieTact

On 3/17/2023 at 10:55 PM, heatherb1958 said:

In all our MSC cruises we have never had a problem changing our table even when on Bella experience but we like to eat early so maybe that helps . I immediately go and check on boarding day to see if we like the location  , politely speak with the Maitre D and ask for a change if available if we don't.  As  an aside I think it is funny that in MSC's current media promotions they are actually showing the table we sat at for a week last September on Virtuosa , a table for 2 by a round window with fabulous views 😆.  

Screenshot_20230317_220514_Chrome.jpg

We did the same- requested politely and got a slip of paper to say we were allocated a table for two last night. 
A table just away from a window but we can still get a good view! 

• Like 2

Catching up on yesterdays news…..

We had breakfast in Minuetto and service compared around the same as YC. Both places I wait 15minutes for a pot of Earl grey tea! It seems there’s no hurrying a tea order on this ship! Us Brits like their tea so I find that a little frustrating. 

Generally the servers were friendly, showing great professionalism and care. Unlike the white jacketed managers whom it appeared never, ever smiled! So unlike their team who smiled at customers even if they weren’t particularly engaging. They showed great customer care.

My eggs were hot & perfectly cooked. A good breakfast.

We had a wander around the ship & by the time we got back to our room it had been cleaned & made up. The steward is very conscientious and sorted the bathroom smell while we were out last night. I was impressed. We enjoyed time in the room as it was larger and had balcony. Unlike YC we’re we don’t spend much time if we have an inside room.

I loved seeing the sail past a wind farm at sunrise- really beautiful. I wouldn’t have seen that in a YC1! I’m enjoying the space of the balcony at such a reduced cost. 

We did a few laps of the walking track and soon it was lunch time in Minuetto.

This time service was slow. Around 15 minutes for cold drink but food was fine. Apparently one cannot get crackers at lunchtime with the cheese plate! I’m pretty sure I could if I was in YC! 

8C7BDB2B-D6C2-4B89-ADE7-CEB6C52F74FD.jpeg

A98BE820-7AA2-430A-833D-A2DCF5B681E3.jpeg

48890B41-8C32-47A7-BC85-3C16717CBE71.jpeg

Next, we went to see why I received an I-message while on airplane mode! I was worried I’d get charged for internet I hadn’t paid for! Service there was great and every but as good as advice I received from YC concierge in the part. It seemed all was fine and I was happy to revive text from my cat sitter to say Ziggy was fine and happily eating well! 

Instead of top sail lounge we headed for L’Atelier for a pot of tea and to people watch on the promenade. That was good and felt just as pleasant as YC. 

1B3ECDAF-B07C-44E8-B21B-30AEC8F2D3C0.jpeg

4D52C3BD-2CDF-45C7-BEB1-ADD1938C8128.jpeg

83774E57-ACD8-443D-A35A-BD5174248B0E.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ConnieTact said:

Looks like you struck lucky! I wonder how much extra you paid for YC while onboard! 
I must admit, I am enjoying the extra room in the balcony so will stick to my experiment for now & save my £££ for next cruise in May!

I got the YCI at time of  booking best price I saw was just under £1k about double the IB with drinks at the time (YC adds WiFi we used and spa we don't)

One in our FB group did the full YC upgrade.

once we decided to do a couple of these there was only 1 date with YCI,  some came up later, on the 3rd March 1 appeared for a few hours(I think they were action bidding) on the 1st march.

Its worth keeping an eye on all embark ports as there was a decent deal from Hamburg (cheap flights available).

going to be watching close next winter as I think they hold cabins back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saab4444 said:

Thank you! Is the ship fully booked?

It really doesn’t feel that way. I will ask. All may change in this port as a lot of guests embark in Hamburg. It’s a changing number through the week on an MSC cruise!

Yesterday, we took out entertainment in the afternoon but didn’t end up going to the evening show or staff talent show as planned.

I’ll post about why we missed the talent show later but I’m heading off for breakfast soon so here’s a post about the opera/ballet for now!

La Traviata (a reduced version) makes MSC the first and only cruse line to feature an opera on a ship! Quite a feat to reduce to 55 minutes but absolutely worth it. The addition of ballet in parts was superb and added  further dimension to the performance. The performers were top notch and stage and costumes too. A novel way to spend an afternoon at sea. 

I didn’t miss sitting in the large YC off area because we always sit further forward even I sailing in YC. There were lots of empty seat in that area which seemed a waste as the theatre was otherwise full.

FF0C4620-C0E9-444C-ABA1-6234F452C9C1.jpeg

66353F98-3B41-45AE-A0BE-ABEB5E9FE33B.jpeg

CE42C7BB-973A-43B8-84B8-6998FC3BD9A8.jpeg

3488506D-6042-4328-B375-7D79A36230B2.jpeg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

Thank you! Is the ship fully booked?

They have been running at around 3500, during March.

31 March/7 April  hits UK school holidays numbers will be up.

As said the numbers change at each port as disembark/embark numbers don't match.

28 minutes ago, ConnieTact said:

Next, we went to see why I received an I-message while on airplane mode! I was worried I’d get charged for internet I hadn’t paid for! Service there was great and every but as good as advice I received from YC concierge in the part. It seemed all was fine and I was happy to revive text from my cat sitter to say Ziggy was fine and happily eating well! 

Instead of top sail lounge we headed for L’Atelier for a pot of tea and to people watch on the promenade. That was good and felt just as pleasant as YC. 

1B3ECDAF-B07C-44E8-B21B-30AEC8F2D3C0.jpeg

4D52C3BD-2CDF-45C7-BEB1-ADD1938C8128.jpeg

83774E57-ACD8-443D-A35A-BD5174248B0E.jpeg

I think they have a leaky internet connection when attached to the WiFi.

Notifications seen to get through sometimes.

We did find the app chat a bit variable as some message did not get through.

One thing we don't do when downstairs is the MDR breakfast/lunch  we just seem to be out of sync with the opening times.

Virtuosa buffet is OK food  but can get crazy busy, was plenty of seating when we were on if you went down the sides or the back.

Often we got one of the high tops by the bar, much better for the people watch and bar service is good there as every server goes past you.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2023 at 7:59 PM, Beamafar said:

Looks like they learned how to pull a pint of the black stuff.  We were on Meraviglia for her inaugural, when MSC first introduced it on draught.  However, the barman refused to pull it correctly, despite my DH explaining how and why it should be done properly. 

The guys(and girls) in Masters have been great (last year an this)

Good selection of draft and all available.

About out to Marvic who looked after us well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ConnieTact said:

Hi FamilyCruiserUK! 
Here’s a cryptic clue as I’m not allowed to say the name on CC!

My travel agent sounds like a very cold house that eskimos live in! They sometimes have fabulous deals. I’ve booked many cruises with them but so as o booked directly with MSC and NCL too. 
Glad to have you here!

The guide price in UK is 15% off MSC on line rates

Two other big UK TA have been competitive.

One(that has a forum) has in the last year set up an on line only operation under a different brand.

Prices have been so good they have be hitting deal tracking sites.

one animal enclosure that deals with travel. and holidays.

The other is a general UK deals tracking sites that does everything.

• Like 1

Hi CT. Sounds like you’re enjoying steerage.  We, too, have done inside cabins, sometimes, in YC and find we spend much more time out and about the ship, which is a real plus.   The only thing I miss is natural light in the morning, which a step out to TSL sorts. 😁

• Like 1

Late breakfast in buffet- fab service. Really good and friendly. Got my tea straight away by helping myself then toast made immediately and even a follow up by manage! I prefer this & bonus- we got up late!

Just about to head into a Hamburg.

CD87CAA7-035D-4011-843E-B767BA54C5E4.jpeg

Happy to see you got your table for 2 😎

L'Atelier bar is our favourite for people watching especially on dress up nights , like watching a fashion show runway  😁👌.  If you are not aware Meraviglia and Bellissima do not have that venue so makes the Galleria seem more busy with the only seating being at the other end . Got to have a seat to people watch 😆.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ConnieTact said:

Just arrived in Hamburg! 

BD974BC2-F837-4056-BFF2-4B3811156256.jpeg

I have also arrived in Hamburg. If you feel like having a coffee in the next few days, let me know.

Fun fact: You took a picture of my car.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ConnieTact said:

Hi FamilyCruiserUK! 
Here’s a cryptic clue as I’m not allowed to say the name on CC!

My travel agent sounds like a very cold house that eskimos live in! They sometimes have fabulous deals. I’ve booked many cruises with them but so as o booked directly with MSC and NCL too. 
Glad to have you here!

Fantastic thank you. Always prefer word of mouth when going through TAs. 

Hope your having a great cruise and thanks for the updates.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ConnieTact said:

We had planned an Uber from the terminal to the centre but no cars available. Taxi could be up to  €33 each way so we are now on MSC shuttle bus for €18 each return. 

We are booked into wondeland for the sunday we are at Hamburg. Sorry to ask as i know your on holiday but where is the drop off point in centre of Hamburg. Working our best way to get to wonderland. 

Cheers

20 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

We are booked into wondeland for the sunday we are at Hamburg. Sorry to ask as i know your on holiday but where is the drop off point in centre of Hamburg. Working our best way to get to wonderland. 

Cheers

Not at all FamilyCruiserUK - it’s a pleasure to help! Here is the screenshot of the pin I dropped when we disembarked the shuttle bus. I hope this is helpful. It’s Baiilndamm. 
it was only five minutes walk to our Arts museum - very handy- and open on Sunday too! 4D7ED312-E586-4690-B43A-3A5127356E5B.thumb.jpeg.c5bdbd4ac5bb2d7163881c9b1f08a5cc.jpeg

6EA2325D-03DC-44EF-8388-7026317E4FEB.jpeg

1 hour ago, LiquidWu said:

I have also arrived in Hamburg. If you feel like having a coffee in the next few days, let me know.

Fun fact: You took a picture of my car.

Welcome aboard LiquidWu! 
That sounds like a great idea! Maybe tomorrow PM, on our sea day? We could meet at L’Atelier if you fancy it? Perhaps, let’s wait to see the activities on offer for tomorrow. We’ll have internet until we sail tonight but you can always leave a message for us on our phone…cabin 12258. 
I can’t believe I took a photo of you car- luckl

you didn’t take one of me, on balcony, in my dressing gown! 😅😂

38 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Cheers

The last shuttle back is at 6.30pm