Is it really necessary to check in 2 days earlier?

nascartim

Am I missing something here? Is it really that important for me to check in asap 2 days earlier b/c I am Platinum? When I get to the port, I get ushered to a special line that let's me bypass most other people anyway. Then I get ushered to a special section ready to board early.

12 minutes ago, nascartim said:

Am I missing something here? Is it really that important for me to check in asap 2 days earlier b/c I am Platinum? When I get to the port, I get ushered to a special line that let's me bypass most other people anyway. Then I get ushered to a special section ready to board early.

Helps them allocate slots to other guests

• Like 1

Good question.  We have a suite booked, so it's the same thing. 

If you look at what is written, it says priority guests have their priority line, but must adhere to the arrival time. But, that didn't seem to be what happens in practice. 

So, even though it probably isn't necessary, I'll be checking in online at midnight 16 days out. 

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

If you look at what is written, it says priority guests have their priority line, but must adhere to the arrival time. But, that didn't seem to be what happens in practice. 

Exactly, that is what is in print, but the reality at the ports I have been to this year is that all Priority guests are allowed to ignore check in time. 

• Like 1

I'm going to say NO to the midnight thing.  If you check in promptly the next day you'll be absolutely fine.  As others have indicated, your BP will say Priority (if the IT guys can ever get their crap together) and you'll be directed through that line and into the Dia/Plat lounge (if the port has one) where priority customers will be called in order prior to the commencement of general boarding.  Your A03 designation won't matter or be applicable.  Of course the caveat is when there is no priority boarding whatsoever, typically on a Journeys where literally everyone has theoretical 'priority'.

BTW, that new lounge in the new terminal in Miami is AWESOME.  Now THAT'S the way to treat a loyal guest. 

• Like 2

Guest BasicSailor

Yes, because some ports are still not recognizing Plats or Diamon's special line. so they go by the letter for check-in time.

6 minutes ago, BasicSailor said:

Yes, because some ports are still not recognizing Plats or Diamon's special line. so they go by the letter for check-in time.

Such as? I've sailed out of 4 of the 5 biggest in the last 6 months (save Port Canaveral) and they all had dedicated lines and called Priority guests before starting A01.  My last time being 'regulated' by my specific boarding slot (with the Journey exception noted) was last September; before Covid protocols were relaxed about October/November.

Seriously OP, if you check-in during that 2 extra day grace period slot you'll be fine.  Now checking in 4 days before the actual cruise? Maybe not if the port is enforcing the arrival appointment slot aggressively. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

Same with Galveston.

Remember that we were on that ship together Blerk!  I think it was you, Ben Hur, and then me on that starboard oar!

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, nascartim said:

It's strictly up to you when you want to board but everyone is forgetting FTTF people and I think there were 20million of them standing in the Priority line for embarkation (just off the MG). What was nice is that they changed the suite lounge on MG to Diamond and Suite and had a separate waiting areas with tables and chairs for Platinum and then seating for FTTF. Seemed much more organized this time with not everyone saying they had A01 and trying to get on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jsglow said:

I'm going to say NO to the midnight thing.  If you check in promptly the next day you'll be absolutely fine.  As others have indicated, your BP will say Priority (if the IT guys can ever get their crap together) and you'll be directed through that line and into the Dia/Plat lounge (if the port has one) where priority customers will be called in order prior to the commencement of general boarding.  Your A03 designation won't matter or be applicable.  Of course the caveat is when there is no priority boarding whatsoever, typically on a Journeys where literally everyone has theoretical 'priority'.

BTW, that new lounge in the new terminal in Miami is AWESOME.  Now THAT'S the way to treat a loyal guest. 

Not in the Terminal D that Spirit used in Feb, no lounge, just chairs in the main area,  

• Like 1

Just now, Elaine5715 said:

Not in the Terminal D that Spirit used in Feb, no lounge, just chairs in the main area,  

I've been in that terminal several times, I think all before I was Plat or before the strict Covid protocols were eliminated.  I'm not recalling a lounge either. You been in Terminal F yet?  Fancy!

2 hours ago, jsglow said:

I've been in that terminal several times, I think all before I was Plat or before the strict Covid protocols were eliminated.  I'm not recalling a lounge either. You been in Terminal F yet?  Fancy!

Not yet.  Pretty sure there was a Captain's Lounge in Terminal D preCoVID.  In Feb,  I was inside before boarding started and those without Priority were being sent out of sight while those with Priority were being seated in the the main area where you could see the walkway.