"Twin" beds on Eurodam

Hllb

3 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Curious where you have seen a queen split? Seems to me its always a king being split.

On Eurodam, they have a queen that can be split into two "twins". Which likely means they aren't actually twin beds, but smaller, and by a lot. But that was the crux of my question - two twins = king, but Eurodam says two twins = queen and only Neptune suites have a King.

I don't find the twins on a HAL ship to be tiny, they feel like a normal twin. But they are not the larger, longer twin beds that you see a lot nowadays (popularized in college dorms I think). King sized beds are longer than standard beds, as well as being wider. I have slept o the HAL beds both together and apart and they are fine. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lupaglupa said:

I don't find the twins on a HAL ship to be tiny, they feel like a normal twin. But they are not the larger, longer twin beds that you see a lot nowadays (popularized in college dorms I think). King sized beds are longer than standard beds, as well as being wider. I have slept o the HAL beds both together and apart and they are fine. 

Just FYI:

King sized bed is 76x80 (WxL)

Queen sized bed is 60x80 (WxL)

Twin sized bed is 38x75 (WxL)

Twin XL sized bed is 38x80 (WxL)

That's where they get two twins normally is the same as a king.  76x75/80.  Split a queen and  you would get two 30x80 which is much narrower than a twin.

-gregma

• Like 3

I think the twin beds are maybe a bit less wide than a regular twin (have never been in one), but when are put together they are not equal to 76" so HAL can't call them a King. I do know that when the twins are put together to make "queens" they seem wider than a regular queen, almost as wide as a California King, which is slightly less (72"-74"?) wide than a regular King.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PSR said:

I think the twin beds are maybe a bit less wide than a regular twin (have never been in one), but when are put together they are not equal to 76" so HAL can't call them a King. I do know that when the twins are put together to make "queens" they seem wider than a regular queen, almost as wide as a California King, which is slightly less (72"-74"?) wide than a regular King.

Now I want someone to measure them 😂 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, PSR said:

While a King is 76x80, a California king is 72x84.  However, RV twin beds are between 28x75 and 36x80!  They might be using rv sized mattresses to get them smaller. Sorry, getting way too technical!

-gregma 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hllb said:

so are these "twin" beds extra tiny?

I normally sleep in a queen bed at home.  The queen beds (two beds put together) on all the HAL ships I have been on feel wider than my home bed.  The split beds on Vista and Signature ships which are then called twin beds are comfortable and wide/long enough for me!  I'm 5' 6" and quite "round". 😉

~Nancy

• Like 2

5 hours ago, oakridger said:

I normally sleep in a queen bed at home.  The queen beds (two beds put together) on all the HAL ships I have been on feel wider than my home bed.  The split beds on Vista and Signature ships which are then called twin beds are comfortable and wide/long enough for me!  I'm 5' 6" and quite "round". 😉

~Nancy

Thanks, that’s helpful.

• Like 1

The beds in Neptune and S cat. suites are actually King sized (North American king size). When they are split they form two actual "twin" size beds.  In all other cabin categories the beds are QUEEN size and when they are split the two small beds are smaller than usual "twin" beds on land. 

7 minutes ago, Moriah said:

The beds in Neptune and S cat. suites are actually King sized (North American king size). When they are split they form two actual "twin" size beds.  In all other cabin categories the beds are QUEEN size and when they are split the two small beds are smaller than usual "twin" beds on land. 

It depends on the ship. On the Eurodam, the SS suites have a Queen, not a King. On other ships, it's a King.

1 minute ago, Hllb said:

It depends on the ship. On the Eurodam, the SS suites have a Queen, not a King. On other ships, it's a King.

Really? Good to know.  I almost paid for an upgrade to an SY on NA and now I'm glad I didn't... I assume beds same size as Eurodam.

Edited by Moriah

11 minutes ago, Moriah said:

Really? Good to know.  I almost paid for an upgrade to an SY on NA and now I'm glad I didn't... I assume beds same size as Eurodam.

I'm not sure which ship has which, but the suite description for each ship should tell you. The pictures do look bigger than a typical queen as some have stated, so I'm hoping that's true. We sleep on a king at home and I have a shoulder issue which requires me to build an entire pillow fort to take pressure off my shoulder LOL.

One thing to remember is the different standards.  Just as a US gallon is different to an Imperial measure Gallon, with beds a 'king' in Europe is different to a 'king' in UK and different again to a 'king' in USA.

https://www.naturalbedcompany.co.uk/2020/07/30/everything-you-need-to-know-about-uk-us-and-continental-bed-sizes/

23 hours ago, Hllb said:

Now I want someone to measure them 😂 

Boarding Rotterdam tomorrow and happy to measure the bed in our verandah cabin. I always carry a tape measure in my knitting bag. We sleep in a king at home and the cabin beds that are called "queen" feel a little narrower than our bed at home but wider than a true queen bed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CruiserN1 said:

Boarding Rotterdam tomorrow and happy to measure the bed in our verandah cabin. I always carry a tape measure in my knitting bag. We sleep in a king at home and the cabin beds that are called "queen" feel a little narrower than our bed at home but wider than a true queen bed.

That would be awesome, thank you! I’m so curious after this discussion!

2 minutes ago, CruiserN1 said:

On Rotterdam now. The "queen" size bed in our verandah is 68 inches wide. 

Thank you! 8” wider than a US Queen. Hope you have a great cruise! Where are you headed?

4 minutes ago, Hllb said:

Thank you! 8” wider than a US Queen. Hope you have a great cruise! Where are you headed?

Sea days tomorrow and Monday and the St. Maarten and a bunch more islands. It's the 11 day Southern Caribbean itinerary. Last one before Rotterdam heads for Europe. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CruiserN1 said:

On Rotterdam now. The "queen" size bed in our verandah is 68 inches wide. 

Thanks for that real time "data"!!  Now I know I wasn't just imagining that the beds I had last fall "felt" wider than my queen size at home.

~Nancy