Seaweed blob

MikeNKim

44 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

Y'all have a bad time on the west side....killer hurricane, red tide and sargassum island has arrived

I live far enough north on the west coast that the killer hurricane missed us and the red tide is well south of us.

On the other hand, I am closer to Tallahassee than the areas affected by the hurricane and red tide.  

2 hours ago, EngIceDave said:

So, not in Homosassa....or Homosassa Springs

I am in Homosassa.  The killer hurricane missed us (just some wind and brief rain showers) and no red tide this far north.

Homosassa Springs is used only for the immediate area of the state park; everything else is Homosassa.

• Like 1

To me, that's the Tampa area.

Your local news is Tampa?

Up around and past the bend is "near Tallahassee to me"

No big deal....

I used to race motocross over there at a place called "Chicken Farm MX"

Here's where it was...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/5355+W+Grover+Cleveland+Blvd,+Homosassa,+FL+34446/@28.8080265,-82.5258603,372m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x88e8151b90533367:0xb8eec453985ef3c2!8m2!3d28.807941!4d-82.524813!16s%2Fg%2F11c26pd_bk

9 hours ago, bguppies said:

If they're expecting Florida will get clobbered this year, the Bahamas will have it worse. (the same general area as the Miami/ Keys beaches, just a tad easterly)

At least Florida can load it up in dumptrucks and haul it away.

MtXbhjxMutSzAbXuSavTbB.jpg

Where do you take this much Sargassum on an island? (barge 1,600 dump trucks a day, away?)

And for those thast say it happens every year don't worry.

Its been getting worse the past few years.

From the reports I've been watching, alot of scientists think that fertilizer runoff from South America where they have been converting rainforests to farmland has been feeding the natural yearly bloom of Sargussum that flows from Africa to Florida/Mexico each year.  (Kind of looks like it grows bigger off the South American coast)

Can I ask where you're able to find the sargassum tracker map?

13 hours ago, bguppies said:

If they're expecting Florida will get clobbered this year, the Bahamas will have it worse. (the same general area as the Miami/ Keys beaches, just a tad easterly)

At least Florida can load it up in dumptrucks and haul it away.

Where do you take this much Sargassum on an island? (barge 1,600 dump trucks a day, away?)

And for those thast say it happens every year don't worry.

Its been getting worse the past few years.

From the reports I've been watching, alot of scientists think that fertilizer runoff from South America where they have been converting rainforests to farmland has been feeding the natural yearly bloom of Sargussum that flows from Africa to Florida/Mexico each year.  (Kind of looks like it grows bigger off the South American coast)

They should load this up on the biggest barges they can find and ship it down to South American, just in international waters, and dump it.

11 hours ago, jamscckmc said:

Is this just heading towards the gulf coast of Florida not the east coast of Florida and the Bahamas?

We've been hearing the current should keep it away from the southwest Florida coast, but that Miami area could get hit hard.

10 hours ago, EngIceDave said:

Y'all have a bad time on the west side....killer hurricane, red tide and sargassum island has arrived

The red tide advisories were finally lifted today for all the beaches in our area. If this holds for the weekend we're going to have a beach day Saturday for the first time since Ian hit us. And our roof replacement was finished yesterday, so we're almost finished with all our repairs. Good thing, since hurricane season starts in just over two months. 🤦‍♀️ 

Edited by SRQbeachgirl
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

We've been hearing the current should keep it away from the southwest Florida coast, but that Miami area could get hit hard.

The red tide advisories were finally lifted today for all the beaches in our area. If this holds for the weekend we're going to have a beach day Saturday for the first time since Ian hit us. And our roof replacement was finished yesterday, so we're almost finished with all our repairs. Good thing, since hurricane season starts in just over two months. 🤦‍♀️ 

I live in Venice, and the beaches have been pretty nice for the last 2 weeks or so. We've been out to watch the sunset a few times and were pleasantly surprised at how nice it was. Seems like the last front that came through really helped.

1 minute ago, TPG40 said:

I live in Venice, and the beaches have been pretty nice for the last 2 weeks or so. We've been out to watch the sunset a few times and were pleasantly surprised at how nice it was. Seems like the last front that came through really helped.

Hi neighbor! We're thinking of heading out to Sharky's tomorrow night for dinner.

20 hours ago, EngIceDave said:

Yes, Citrus  County is the northernmost county in the Tampa news area.

We also have Orlando stations available.

I agree we are not close to Tallahassee, I was just joking that we were closer to Tallahassee than the areas that had the hurricane damage and problems with red tide. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

Hi neighbor! We're thinking of heading out to Sharky's tomorrow night for dinner.

Can't beat the atmosphere at Sharky's. I think the food at Dockside is better, but the wife likes the bar service at Sharky's. Sharky's also throws a great NYE party.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2023 at 2:25 PM, EngIceDave said:

Up around and past the bend is "near Tallahassee to me"

No big deal....

I used to race motocross over there at a place called "Chicken Farm MX"

Here's where it was...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/5355+W+Grover+Cleveland+Blvd,+Homosassa,+FL+34446/@28.8080265,-82.5258603,372m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x88e8151b90533367:0xb8eec453985ef3c2!8m2!3d28.807941!4d-82.524813!16s%2Fg%2F11c26pd_bk

I ride and race dirtbikes.  I have been wondering if engine ice dave has anything to do with engine ice coolant.  Apparently it does. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, resetjet said:

I ride and race dirtbikes.  I have been wondering if engine ice dave has anything to do with engine ice coolant.  Apparently it does. 

I'm the founder/inventor. I sold it and retired a couple years ago, why you see the new logo.

I am "Engine Ice Dave"

Been around and part of moto since mid-70s

Raced moto for about 6-7 yrs long ago

On 3/24/2023 at 2:33 PM, TPG40 said:

Can't beat the atmosphere at Sharky's. I think the food at Dockside is better, but the wife likes the bar service at Sharky's. Sharky's also throws a great NYE party.

Happy to report that there was zero red tide at Sharky's today. Beach was crowded with Spring Breakers, but the water was gorgeous and we had a nice breeze. Definitely agree with your wife about the bar service - love those Mango Bangos! 

On 3/24/2023 at 4:17 PM, mamiamjo said:

This is the map I'm looking for. Where can I find it online??

Right click on the picture and hit copy link address in a search bar and it'll take you to the original article it came from.

A simple google search will take you to many articles with different satelitte maps of the sargassum "blob". (The one i posted just showed the clearest)

Edited by bguppies

On 3/23/2023 at 8:36 AM, ninjacat123 said:

The Krazy Lobster in Mahahual beach area is clear of saragassum according to the manager.  Maybe the currents don't affect that area as much as others.🤷‍♀️

I feel for the beaches in Mahahual because they get clobbered year after year once the Sargassum belt starts up each year. 

This year just looks insane.

I wish I kept a link to the video from Krazy Lobster a couple of years ago (before it got as bad as the past few years) where a 2 foot long, 10-15 pound Iguana was easily walking on the Sargassum floating on the water, it was so thick in June/July.