Tipping etiquette in London/Europe

cruisinqt

This will be our first time in Europe and we are cruising out of London. The cruise goes to Ireland, Scotland, and Iceland. Being from the USA we tip on everything everywhere and to be honest it’s really out of hand. I understand that’s not the case in Europe. I know tipping is okay and even encouraged while onboard cruise ships regardless of where they’re located. But what about London and the other countries we are visiting? Where should I tip? Maybe not restaurants but perhaps tipping for a drink at a bar is ok. And we still tip the baggage handlers at the cruise terminal, right? Does anyone have experience with this?

15 minutes ago, cruisinqt said:

This will be our first time in Europe and we are cruising out of London. The cruise goes to Ireland, Scotland, and Iceland. Being from the USA we tip on everything everywhere and to be honest it’s really out of hand. I understand that’s not the case in Europe. I know tipping is okay and even encouraged while onboard cruise ships regardless of where they’re located. But what about London and the other countries we are visiting? Where should I tip? Maybe not restaurants but perhaps tipping for a drink at a bar is ok. And we still tip the baggage handlers at the cruise terminal, right? Does anyone have experience with this?

It is the case but nothing like as much as the US, 10% is normal as a guide. Personally I tend to leave around 10% rounded up  and a minimum £5/€5 for inexpensive meals (IE under £50).

You never tip a bar tender but for servers it's normal.

36 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

It is the case but nothing like as much as the US, 10% is normal as a guide. Personally I tend to leave around 10% rounded up  and a minimum £5/€5 for inexpensive meals (IE under £50).

You never tip a bar tender but for servers it's normal.

Okay good to know because evidently I had it backwards. Thanks. 

Tipping culture is very different in the UK compared to North America.

Tipping in restaurants is relatively common and as ziggyuk says, 10% would be the norm. Often a service charge of 10% is included, and if so, there is no need to tip more unless the service is exceptional. 

Tipping in pubs and bars is not at all common, and not expected.

For taxis, traditionally people tended to round up to the nearest pound, but that has happened a lot less with the increased use of credit and debit cards.

Tour guides do tend to expect a tip, at least from American tourists! 

Beyond that there is really no expectation to tip.

7 minutes ago, cruisinqt said:

Okay good to know because evidently I had it backwards. Thanks. 

😏 did uoy ,seY

BTW, when paying for anything by card decline offers to charge your card in your currency "for your convenience" 🙄,  and check that it's in local currency before signing or typing in your PIN or swiping. Your card issuer will always give you the best exchange rates, currency auto-changers on point-of-sale card-readers will usually give you exchange rates similar to the rip-off kiosks at airports. Being charged in local currency also means that you can confirm that there's no increase on the sticker or menu price  - by law taxes are included in all consumer sales and any other add-on such as service charges must by law be clearly shown on menus, including menus outside the premises.

In some outlets like restaurants, the card reader will give you the opportunity to add a tip. Yes, even those that have added a service charge to the check give you the opportunity to add a tip 😡 Tip nothing if that service charge is more than 12%,. Some restaurants have service charges at American levels, I'd rather starve than pay at US levels in the UK.

Tip small-group guides and transfer car drivers £5 to £10 (that's per car or couple) if the service is good, zilch if it isn't

.Large-group guides and transfer coach drivers £1 or £2, max £5 per couple.

In all cases again zilch if not up-to-standard.

If you don't have GBP, USD or euros are acceptable to those who regularly deal with overseas visitors - they add a few months of them together, or change them with colleagues, or spend them on vacations.

And, to stress, tipping isn't the big deal in the UK or Europe that it is in the States. Some folk don't tip at all & they're not hounded

JB 🙂

• Like 2

As JB says, the more upmarket restaurants will often add a service charge. If you choose to eat in a pub, where typically, you order and pay at the bar and the food is delivered to your table, no tip is expected.

Taxi drivers are pretty resigned to the fact that most people pay by card and don't add a tip. However, if the driver helps with luggage, or does anything apart from taking you from A to B, then a tip may be appropriate.

In general, we assume that staff are paid adequately for their work, and tips are a reward for going over and above the minimum.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cruisinqt said:

I know tipping is okay and even encouraged while onboard cruise ships regardless of where they’re located.

I'm not sure why you think that ?

We certainly don't tip on a cruise ship, other than to give our steward a little something, if he/she has done a good job.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bob++ said:

As JB says, the more upmarket restaurants will often add a service charge. If you choose to eat in a pub, where typically, you order and pay at the bar and the food is delivered to your table, no tip is expected.

Taxi drivers are pretty resigned to the fact that most people pay by card and don't add a tip. However, if the driver helps with luggage, or does anything apart from taking you from A to B, then a tip may be appropriate.

In general, we assume that staff are paid adequately for their work, and tips are a reward for going over and above the minimum.

And for folk like taxi drivers where you're paying by card, it's perfectly acceptable to say to them "make it £x" and they'll put that much through the card machine; the tip doesn't have to be in cash.  Even for employed drivers, they get enough cash in a shift to take the equivalent tip out of their cash takings.

19 hours ago, Simon-t said:

Tipping culture is very different in the UK compared to North America.

Tipping in restaurants is relatively common and as ziggyuk says, 10% would be the norm. Often a service charge of 10% is included, and if so, there is no need to tip more unless the service is exceptional. 

Tipping in pubs and bars is not at all common, and not expected.

For taxis, traditionally people tended to round up to the nearest pound, but that has happened a lot less with the increased use of credit and debit cards.

Tour guides do tend to expect a tip, at least from American tourists! 

Beyond that there is really no expectation to tip.

Yes that’s drastically different from what I’m used to. Nowadays even if I’m picking up a food order from a restaurant they still expect a tip. It’s really out of hand. I think Europe is more balanced in this matter. 

18 hours ago, John Bull said:

😏 did uoy ,seY

BTW, when paying for anything by card decline offers to charge your card in your currency "for your convenience" 🙄,  and check that it's in local currency before signing or typing in your PIN or swiping. Your card issuer will always give you the best exchange rates, currency auto-changers on point-of-sale card-readers will usually give you exchange rates similar to the rip-off kiosks at airports. Being charged in local currency also means that you can confirm that there's no increase on the sticker or menu price  - by law taxes are included in all consumer sales and any other add-on such as service charges must by law be clearly shown on menus, including menus outside the premises.

In some outlets like restaurants, the card reader will give you the opportunity to add a tip. Yes, even those that have added a service charge to the check give you the opportunity to add a tip 😡 Tip nothing if that service charge is more than 12%,. Some restaurants have service charges at American levels, I'd rather starve than pay at US levels in the UK.

Tip small-group guides and transfer car drivers £5 to £10 (that's per car or couple) if the service is good, zilch if it isn't

.Large-group guides and transfer coach drivers £1 or £2, max £5 per couple.

In all cases again zilch if not up-to-standard.

If you don't have GBP, USD or euros are acceptable to those who regularly deal with overseas visitors - they add a few months of them together, or change them with colleagues, or spend them on vacations.

And, to stress, tipping isn't the big deal in the UK or Europe that it is in the States. Some folk don't tip at all & they're not hounded

JB 🙂

I love the backwards comment at the top, it really cracked me up. I appreciate you breaking it down for me that helps a lot. Thanks. 

10 hours ago, Bob++ said:

In general, we assume that staff are paid adequately for their work, and tips are a reward for going over and above the minimum

And that’s as it should be. American tipping culture is completely out of control. 

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

I'm not sure why you think that ?

We certainly don't tip on a cruise ship, other than to give our steward a little something, if he/she has done a good job.

I say that because many of the staff on board are from very poor countries and are supporting large families back home. And they get very small wages from the cruise ships and rely mainly on our gratuities for their income. So when some go way out of their way for us we usually tip them a little extra. 

4 hours ago, fruitmachine said:

And for folk like taxi drivers where you're paying by card, it's perfectly acceptable to say to them "make it £x" and they'll put that much through the card machine; the tip doesn't have to be in cash.  Even for employed drivers, they get enough cash in a shift to take the equivalent tip out of their cash takings.

Thanks for the tip that helps. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruisinqt said:

I say that because many of the staff on board are from very poor countries and are supporting large families back home. And they get very small wages from the cruise ships and rely mainly on our gratuities for their income. So when some go way out of their way for us we usually tip them a little extra. 

Sorry - just a specious argument.

But I agree when you say that you tip when someone goes out of the way for you. We do the same. 

Edited by wowzz

19 hours ago, cruisinqt said:

I always include gratuities as part of the cruise cost. I can't be doing with envelopes of cash at the end.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cruisinqt said:

Sometime ago there was a documentary on TV and a Philipino cabin attendant was interviewed. 
She said she could not believe how 'well off' she was on the salary paid. She had free food,uniform, accommodations etc. The only money she spent was of her own choosing. This was AFTER she sent 60% of her wages home!

From a professional pov, I have sailed with many many crews from the Indian sub continent. Same attitude.. they felt 'rich'. I never ever heard a 'sob story' from any of them. 

As an aside, the senior rates earned the same as the British officer cadets.

3 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

This was AFTER she sent 60% of her wages home!

I enjoy talking to the various workers and hearing what life is like in their country. I love learning about other cultures. And just like you were saying just about every single person said they sent 60-70% of their pay back home. So it must be a very normal thing for them. They always feel very blessed to have what they have on the ship. I like their thankful attitude they appreciate everything they’ve been given. That’s why I don’t mind giving a little extra to those that go out of the way to make my vacation more enjoyable. 

2 hours ago, Merry25 said:

As a first time cruiser can anyone advise (roughly) what tip you would give to your cabin steward at the end of the cruise?

On a UK-based ship eg P&O or Marella, and on some US & Italian ships when sailing out of the UK no service charge is added to your on-board spend. We'll tip £5 to £10 per couple, the higher end - or more - if they go out of their way.

And waiters in the main dining room if we're on traditional sitting and they're good, friendly and helpful (eg "I can't make up my mind between the strudel or the cheeseboard, they're both so tempting". If that hint results in "well I suggest both - starting with the strudel?"  I'll remember that). But if on "anytime" dining different waiters on different nights we don't tip.

But on ships which add a service charge to our on-board account, we don't tip at all cos to us its like double-tipping.

But others may disagree, and anyway it's all entirely up to you.

JB 🙂

• Like 1

For what it's worth, if our steward does a decent job, we tip £20($25) per week, so on a 14 night cruise we would give £40.

We do this regardless of autotips,  as the amount that trickles down to the steward is minimal. 

Edited by wowzz

Having worked in a chain restaurant in the UK, I can state less than half would leave a tip, probably about 30%, most that did would leave a few coins or about 10%, It was a nice extra.

Never feel pressured to leave a tip in UK or Europe, it's not necessary.

• Like 3