Miami South Beach hotel on March 31 - am I crazy?

BfloBills

My husband and I have a South Beach hotel booked for 1 night post-cruise (March 31-April 1) not realizing it is still Spring Break time. The hotel is on Ocean Drive near 7th.  We are 65 + 66 and I am concerned that we are in for more young and rowdy crowds than we are willing to deal with.  Anyone have any insight?  We really want a beach location, not downtown or near the airport.

23 hours ago, BfloBills said:

My husband and I have a South Beach hotel booked for 1 night post-cruise (March 31-April 1) not realizing it is still Spring Break time. The hotel is on Ocean Drive near 7th.  We are 65 + 66 and I am concerned that we are in for more young and rowdy crowds than we are willing to deal with.  Anyone have any insight?  We really want a beach location, not downtown or near the airport.

Miami Beach spring break shooting leaves 1 dead, sends crowd scrambling | Fox News

The Miami Beach Police Department responded to a report of shots fired around 10:41 p.m. Friday on Ocean Drive near Seventh Street, finding two men injured. Both men were taken to Jackson Memorial Hospital’s Ryder Trauma Center, where one died. The other remains in critical condition. 

Yea, basenji56 -- I saw that on line, and saw our hotel in the background of the video!  Unfortunately, the hotel won't refund our money, and $400 is too much to walk away from....so we will hole up in our room at night

25 minutes ago, BfloBills said:

Yea, basenji56 -- I saw that on line, and saw our hotel in the background of the video!  Unfortunately, the hotel won't refund our money, and $400 is too much to walk away from....so we will hole up in our room at night

Sorry!  I love South Beach and stay there often.  But, this story worried me because I stay not far from the shooting.  If you stay inside after dark you are PROBABLY safe.  

• Like 1

We love South Beach too.  We always stay on Ocean Drive in the 14th block, so the slightly quieter end of the drive.  I would think daylight hours will be OK.  They have a good police presence keeping an eye on things.    We have been there during several busy times and have enjoyed sitting on our property's 'front porch' to watch the crowds.  

I heard on the news today that they will have a midnight curfew tonight (and perhaps for longer?).  Hopefully things will be more settled for your stay at the end of the month.

Edited by Sand and Seas
  • Like 1

Unless staying at one of the larger resorts, as a local, I don't recommend South Beach anymore, unless beach time is the priority. Brickell, Coconut Grove, and other areas on the mainland have much more to offer. 

• Like 1

After the 2nd murder on Ocean Drive this week, we decided to eat the financial loss and book a hotel in Coconut Grove instead of South Beach.  So sad that the unsavory element of our society ruin vacations for the rest of us!

58 minutes ago, BfloBills said:

After the 2nd murder on Ocean Drive this week, we decided to eat the financial loss and book a hotel in Coconut Grove instead of South Beach.  So sad that the unsavory element of our society ruin vacations for the rest of us!

It's understandable that you are not comfortable staying there with the news this week.  

I do think that the worst of spring break crowds will be over with in a couple of weeks but you need to do what you are comfortable with.  It's similar to when we stay on the Las Vegas strip or in New Orleans.  We are always careful about where we are walking and generally are back at our hotel long before late night 'partiers' are out.  (We have been retired for several years.)   

We will be staying on Ocean Drive 1400 block in late April.  As always, we will be vigilant and not walk around late at night, but we will love our days & evenings there after our cruise.  Great food and a beautiful beach.     

I hope you have a wonderful cruise and enjoy your stay in Coconut Grove!  😎

Spring Break brings out the street thugs. They look for easy targets, easy drug sales, and anything they can swipe. Last place in the world I want to be. But with SB ending soon, it should get back to normal. Unfortunately, you don't know exactly when it will end. The week leading up to Easter is still a pretty big vacation week.