Most recent sargassum update?

nascartim

MtXbhjxMutSzAbXuSavTbB.jpg

It'll be heavy in Costa Maya soon.

Plenty of Sargassum this year to make compost for all the farmers on the planet.

Hopefully when we go in early December, there won't be so much since the fertilizer runoff from Brazil that has been making the Sargassum worse the past few years won't be there since they will just be starting their spring/summer down there.

Best of luck to you.

Costa Maya and Cozumel are no fun when its heavu. (done both once each and it was terrible)

I was in Costa Maya on Friday (3/17). We cancelled our beach day at Almaplena because it was covered in sargassum. They were using a wheelbarrow and pitchfork to clean it, but it was bad. I live in FL and I’ve never seen so much sargassum. 

3 hours ago, Carlys_chaos said:

I was in Costa Maya on Friday (3/17). We cancelled our beach day at Almaplena because it was covered in sargassum. They were using a wheelbarrow and pitchfork to clean it, but it was bad. I live in FL and I’ve never seen so much sargassum. 

Since you canceled your beach day, what did you wind up doing?

13 hours ago, Carlys_chaos said:

Did you cancel after arriving at Almaplena or did they send you photos in advance?

10 hours ago, MississippiMom said:

Since you canceled your beach day, what did you wind up doing?

My stepdad and I last-minute booked Aldea Mahahua. It was a little cheesy, but we had a great time. It’s a newer excursion, and they tried really hard to make it fun. It would have been better with a different group of people, but still fun. It was $79 then we got a $50 credit each from NCL. Can’t beat $30! We got four margaritas (I couldn’t finish mine, lightweight, haha) and a small lunch of local food. They did four dances, a purification ritual, some education on Mexico, and played a game. I don’t recommend it for little kids, but it’s fun for adults. 

C516177A-0F1C-4259-9585-1E68BBA71F17.jpeg

9E5C42A8-1263-42BD-B97F-E7DF25091C0D.jpeg

FBBBC411-F2D8-4D46-BC54-0ACE8E05696B.jpeg

5F7E52D4-AE46-4F95-ABD3-30083E6C7D93.jpeg

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Did you cancel after arriving at Almaplena or did they send you photos in advance?

They emailed saying there was sargassum they were trying to clean it up and offered that we cancel. There’s a $15 fee to cancel. We opted to get a taxi over and hope for the best, but it was too bad to stay. The taxi ($70 round trip) was deducted from our refund. They processed the refund within a day, no issues. I’ll be honest that the property was not what I was expecting and we wouldn’t go back if we were in Costa Maya again. Also, be advised there are no toys for kids. One family opted to stay so we gave them our beach toys to use. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Carlys_chaos said:

They emailed saying there was sargassum they were trying to clean it up and offered that we cancel. There’s a $15 fee to cancel. We opted to get a taxi over and hope for the best, but it was too bad to stay. The taxi ($70 round trip) was deducted from our refund. They processed the refund within a day, no issues. I’ll be honest that the property was not what I was expecting and we wouldn’t go back if we were in Costa Maya again. Also, be advised there are no toys for kids. One family opted to stay so we gave them our beach toys to use. 

What was the problem with Almaplena other than the sargassum?

Did you booked the above excursion at the port after you had returned or I guess through the ship? I understand it is relatively new? I am wondering if it is owned by the port operators. 

Edited by c-leg5

1 hour ago, Carlys_chaos said:

My stepdad and I last-minute booked Aldea Mahahua. It was a little cheesy, but we had a great time. It’s a newer excursion, and they tried really hard to make it fun. It would have been better with a different group of people, but still fun. It was $79 then we got a $50 credit each from NCL. Can’t beat $30! We got four margaritas (I couldn’t finish mine, lightweight, haha) and a small lunch of local food. They did four dances, a purification ritual, some education on Mexico, and played a game. I don’t recommend it for little kids, but it’s fun for adults. 

C516177A-0F1C-4259-9585-1E68BBA71F17.jpeg

9E5C42A8-1263-42BD-B97F-E7DF25091C0D.jpeg

FBBBC411-F2D8-4D46-BC54-0ACE8E05696B.jpeg

5F7E52D4-AE46-4F95-ABD3-30083E6C7D93.jpeg

Thank you!

We currently have twenty family members booked on the sailing.  I know that several want to go see the ruins, but this "cheesy" with margaritas might be perfect for a bunch of us.

4 hours ago, Carlys_chaos said:

I forgot to ask, previously, but where is Aldea Mahahua?  Please tell me that it is outside of the cruise port area, as we would like to have a chance to look around Mahahual so we can say that we saw it.  I know you were on NCL and we will be on CCL, but was there provided transportation or is it all walking?  (I noticed the cruise line's description recommended walking shoes.)

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.  So far, I think that six of us might be booking this excursion.

2 hours ago, MississippiMom said:

I forgot to ask, previously, but where is Aldea Mahahua?  Please tell me that it is outside of the cruise port area, as we would like to have a chance to look around Mahahual so we can say that we saw it.  I know you were on NCL and we will be on CCL, but was there provided transportation or is it all walking?  (I noticed the cruise line's description recommended walking shoes.)

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.  So far, I think that six of us might be booking this excursion.

it looks to be on the road to the lighthouse before you get to the town.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Carlys_chaos said:

@bguppies

I think you were asking about sargassum at Almaplena last year? I knew there had been reviews previously on TA but not many cruisers seem to go these days so not many reviews on CC.

Will be in Costa Maya on Apr 6 and looking for a nice beach that we could sit on, read a book, and do a bit of snorkeling.  Don't want to pay for anything, if we get hungry, we'll just go back to the ship early.  Don't need chairs, etc., we'll just bring towels and sit on the sand.  Will the sargassum affect all beaches equally?  Will we be able to just swim pass the sargassum, or will it prevent us from swimming/snorkeling?  Can I just find a spot off the malecon?  Or, better to catch a taxi and head out of town some where?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spencer71 said:

Will be in Costa Maya on Apr 6 and looking for a nice beach that we could sit on, read a book, and do a bit of snorkeling.  Don't want to pay for anything, if we get hungry, we'll just go back to the ship early.  Don't need chairs, etc., we'll just bring towels and sit on the sand.  Will the sargassum affect all beaches equally?  Will we be able to just swim pass the sargassum, or will it prevent us from swimming/snorkeling?  Can I just find a spot off the malecon?  Or, better to catch a taxi and head out of town some where?

If there is sargassum it is likely to affect all beaches. There are some baffles installed offshore on the main area and some bars have additional barriers and people cleaning the beach collecting sargassum.

If you are wanting to go somewhere with no facilities there will  be no protection or cleaning in operation. When sargassum is severe the smell is overwhelming.

However, I believe there are open beach areas available just north of the lighthouse at the beginning of the malecon and south of town beyond the malecon on the unpaved road. Whether they are “nice” beaches is subjective.

Depending on severity and whether sargassum is in patches you can swim through/beyond but the sargassum can contain lice and jellyfish which can cause rashes and blisters.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Spencer71 said:

Spencer71, I really hope that after your April cruise you will update us on your experience.

We (over 20 family members) will be stopping in Costa Maya in July, and none of us want to plan on the pricey beach clubs or pricey water excursions only to discover that the sargassum ruins the experience for us.  At this moment, we have a very small handful headed to the ruins, another small group leaning toward one of the other cultural excursions, but the rest are not willing to commit.  I think your idea of just finding a nice beach for a bit to read might work for most.

Too early to tell how it will be in a couple of weeks and unfortunately the two webcams in Mahahual were down last time I checked which would actually give you a real time answer- Maya Chan and Pez Quadro, if they come back up.

I thought you were looking for a no cost beach on another thread?

I can tell you Maya Chan will work hard to remove sargassum but we have been there when it was overwhelming as sell as just OK. Seagrass is almost always present in the ocean.

They used to  have sargassum photos for the day at the meeting point and allow you to cancel.

7 hours ago, MississippiMom said:

Spencer71, I really hope that after your April cruise you will update us on your experience.

We (over 20 family members) will be stopping in Costa Maya in July, and none of us want to plan on the pricey beach clubs or pricey water excursions only to discover that the sargassum ruins the experience for us.  At this moment, we have a very small handful headed to the ruins, another small group leaning toward one of the other cultural excursions, but the rest are not willing to commit.  I think your idea of just finding a nice beach for a bit to read might work for most.

Not wanting to be Debbie Downer but I would say chances of sargassum in Mahahual in July are very high.

I hope you are lucky but I would have a Plan B and it certainly wouldn’t be going to a an undeveloped beach area.

• Like 1

You're right, I am looking for a no-cost beach to go to.  If I understand correctly, I can go to any of these hotel/restaurant areas that have a beach, I just wouldn't be able to use their chairs/umbrellas or order food, right?  Aren't all beaches in Mexico supposed to be no cost?  I'm getting the feeling that sargassum may ruin our beach experience, but I want to try and hoping to get lucky.  Worst-case maybe we don't snorkel or go into the ocean, but we just sit on the sand.

7 hours ago, Spencer71 said:

You're right, I am looking for a no-cost beach to go to.  If I understand correctly, I can go to any of these hotel/restaurant areas that have a beach, I just wouldn't be able to use their chairs/umbrellas or order food, right?  Aren't all beaches in Mexico supposed to be no cost?  I'm getting the feeling that sargassum may ruin our beach experience, but I want to try and hoping to get lucky.  Worst-case maybe we don't snorkel or go into the ocean, but we just sit on the sand.

Apologies I didn’t see you quoted @nascartimand thought you said YOU had booked Maya Chan.

i answered your question above as to where to try. ACCESS to Mexican beaches has to he public, as I understand, so hotels/bars etc cannot block access but you need to make a purchase if you want to use any facilities including restrooms and many bars along the malecon have adopted an AI/cover charge model

However if you have never been to Mahahual I would suggest you take a virtual walk along the beach/malecon on google maps or equivalent to get a feel for the area. Beach bars are elbow to elbow - personally, I think it would be difficult to put a beach towel on an occupied lot without it feeling awkward or someone becoming confrontational YMMV.  

Mahahaul is not a “lie in the sand” and quietly read a book type of beach - you will be regularly bombarded by vendors every few minutes but you have a better chance of being undisturbed away from the beach bars and certainly away from the central malecon area.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

Thanks for the explanation, this helps.  To be clear, my best bet for no-cost swimming may be the open beach areas available just north of the lighthouse at the beginning of the malecon and south of town beyond the malecon on the unpaved road, correct?  And, since it seems likely that there may be sargassum everywhere so there may not be swimming, any recommendations on a good spot just to sit on the beach and enjoy things without it being super crowded? Or, would you just recommend the same place for that as well?  I'd be willing to spend for a taxi ride if it's not too long and could get us somewhere nicer.

29 minutes ago, Spencer71 said:

Thanks for the explanation, this helps.  To be clear, my best bet for no-cost swimming may be the open beach areas available just north of the lighthouse at the beginning of the malecon and south of town beyond the malecon on the unpaved road, correct?  And, since it seems likely that there may be sargassum everywhere so there may not be swimming, any recommendations on a good spot just to sit on the beach and enjoy things without it being super crowded? Or, would you just recommend the same place for that as well?  I'd be willing to spend for a taxi ride if it's not too long and could get us somewhere nicer.

Crowds will depend on number of ships in port. They have been trying to dock 4 quite often which is a lot if people but many ships seem to have been unable to dock due to winds recently.

If you use search engine for Blue Key or light house you may find some reviews from people who stopped just to the north.

I wouldn’t recommend a taxi to out of town because unless you are at an official location you wouldn’t get a taxi back. You could rent a golf cart and possibly find somewhere but there is a limit as to the distance they will service in case of difficulty. I don’t usually recommend the golf carts but in your case it may give you flexibility. 

or you could find a quiet area at the port for free.

Since this is off-topic to OP original question you should direct further conversation to your original thread.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

This photo was posted to a Houston meteorologist's social media page last week as being taken at Maya Chan.  Can anyone confirm this is the location?  Not thinking our 3 grandchildren will enjoy the beach in May if this is the scene we're likely to encounter.  😞

IMG_9297.jpeg