Most recent sargassum update?

nascartim

On 3/24/2023 at 11:07 AM, MississippiMom said:

Spencer71, I really hope that after your April cruise you will update us on your experience.

Unfortunately, our ship was not able to dock at Costa Maya due to high winds, so I can't give you a report.  No issues with seaweed in Roatan and Cozumel that I could see anyway though.

• Thanks 1

I was just there last week on the Mardis Gras.  We went to Nohoch Kay and the water was actually clearer than Cozumel.  They had a barrier set up around the beach area that kept most of the grass away.  Much better than I was expecting.  

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

Edited by Thenagers
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I was on the same sailing as @Spencer71 and yes, our port stop was cancelled, but before that, Maya Chan cancelled our beach day due to the Sargassum. There were high winds - we actually had a very windy sailing experience overall, but especially bad the night before our Costa Maya stop and they knew ahead of time that they wouldn't be able to get it cleared for visitors. 

On 4/11/2023 at 4:43 PM, Thenagers said:

I was just there last week on the Mardis Gras.  We went to Nohoch Kay and the water was actually clearer than Cozumel.  They had a barrier set up around the beach area that kept most of the grass away.  Much better than I was expecting.  

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

Thank you for sharing your photos.

Did you reserve in advance or just walk up?  I am overly stressed about our ship’s 1 pm arrival time and everything being crowded with no seats available.

4 hours ago, MississippiMom said:

Thank you for sharing your photos.

Did you reserve in advance or just walk up?  I am overly stressed about our ship’s 1 pm arrival time and everything being crowded with no seats available.

NK requires advanced reservations.  $50 per adult. 

As far as I've ever exprienced, the loungers on the malecon have never been full.  If a reservation type club, like NK or Jaime's or Maya Chan. is full they'll let you know when you try to reserve.  But if you reserve, they'll have loungers available.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, susanNjay said:

I’m cruising 5/20 and have been watching info on sargassum and I’ll be canceling Maya Chan and have booked Nohoch Kay. 
I will post pics of the current conditions. 

Not sure I understand your reasoning? Is Nohoch refundable? You have to pay transport in addition to Nohoch.

Look forward to your photos, unfortunately it has been a bad year.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, susanNjay said:

The recent reviews I’ve read say that conditions at Nohoch Kay are much better than at Maya Chan. 

Thanks. At least you will have the benefit of offshore baffles. 

I have never been to Nohoch and don’t know what their refund policy is. If I was changing I would probably have changed to PAYG and decided on the day.

Maya Chan can be bad (I know from experience) but I have had no problems with their refund policy.

1 hour ago, susanNjay said:

fyi NK offers transportation from the port. 

Thanks I didn’t know that. It must be new with the new owners.

@crewsweeper do you know who is running Nohoch now?

I just checked and found it. SERIOUSLY, $19pp for round trip transport to Nohoch? Are they even allowed to pick you up inside the port?

17 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Thanks I didn’t know that. It must be new with the new owners.

@crewsweeper do you know who is running Nohoch now?

I just checked and found it. SERIOUSLY, $19pp for round trip transport to Nohoch? Are they even allowed to pick you up inside the port?

Not sure.  We won't be back in CM until next January. last there in 2021.

But agree $19mpp for transportation is a bit steep. Back when the shuttle ran from port it didn't stop that far down.  But taxis would go there.

• Thanks 1

On 5/6/2023 at 7:48 PM, tallyho8 said:

We were on the melacon 2 weeks ago and they had a barrier up the whole way keeping the beaches clean. I was impressed.

@tallyho8 is there a specific resort you recommend on/in Melacon.  This is our first time traveling to Costa Maya and we want to avoid the sargassum as much as possible 

• Like 1

Is there a website for Nahoch Kay to book thru? We have reservations with Maya Chan for this coming September, but may want to swap. 

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it! 

Edited by pirate4me2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...