LIVE from the most hated ship in the NCL fleet, Epic, March 26-April 2

spenecer

Day 2

I bought the wrong kind of motion sickness patches. I put ‘Motion Sickness Patch’ into the Amazon search and it returned some homeopathic patches which contain datura flower, ginger extract and menthol.

The Caribbean Sea is fairly rough today with waves coming crosswise against the Epic. I can feel the ship rocking side to side. So, admitting my abject purchasing failure, I went to Guest Services and begged some motion sickness pills. They were FREE!  For all the complaints about NCL charging for everything, the motion sickness pills were free. My daughter has taken one. Cross your fingers for chemistry. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, spenecer said:

Day 2

Drink #4 - A Dark and Stormy

9FBE895A-46F6-4E12-B62E-F1CF72BD12E4.thumb.jpeg.1bc528dbc629407c94a1ac2041ab7013.jpeg

We found the ‘secret’ or quiet deck up on 18 yesterday and used it to watch the Sailaway. This made the Epic horn rooting very loud as we were right under the horn. 

There are waiters roaming Deck 18 and he brought us drinks. 

Did you love it?

Oh Man...you just made me so happy by affiliation 🥰

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, spenecer said:

Day 2

I bought the wrong kind of motion sickness patches. I put ‘Motion Sickness Patch’ into the Amazon search and it returned some homeopathic patches which contain datura flower, ginger extract and menthol.

The Caribbean Sea is fairly rough today with waves coming crosswise against the Epic. I can feel the ship rocking side to side. So, admitting my abject purchasing failure, I went to Guest Services and begged some motion sickness pills. They were FREE!  For all the complaints about NCL charging for everything, the motion sickness pills were free. My daughter has taken one. Cross your fingers for chemistry. 

Green apples...grab some from the buffet. If they do not have any out, just ask at the fruit station. I am a physician (even spent time as a cruise ship doc) and can offer you no explanation as to why eating green apples banishes sea sickness but anecdotally, it works!

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, amygutman said:

Did you love it?

Oh Man...you just made me so happy by affiliation 🥰

I think it could have used a lot more rum but it was tasty and I was happy to try to recommendation. 

32 minutes ago, amygutman said:

Green apples...grab some from the buffet. If they do not have any out, just ask at the fruit station. I am a physician (even spent time as a cruise ship doc) and can offer you no explanation as to why eating green apples banishes sea sickness but anecdotally, it works!

I’m not sure these qualify as green apples (my daughter claims no) but she loves green apples so this was an easy choice to make. I went to the buffet. I got them to cut up an apple!  My day daughter ate the apple (almost ecstatically).

54BFF5A1-E447-4225-A751-DE722BAF64A9.thumb.jpeg.e2d9080a6d9b26581dfceeb19f96a777.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, amygutman said:

1 hour ago, spenecer said:

Day 2, Drink #6

The Matador at Maltings Whiskey Bar

I’m not seasick, but the Matador has fresh ginger in it. (And by association, I’m all for ginger right now)

16E8FE03-8BFB-48AC-88BE-5898862A392A.jpeg

My Filipino MIL swore by ginger tea for all gastric ills.

On Pearl in Alaska, a Filipina server noticed that my wife was absent from the family group on a night of rough seas, and she sent me back up to the room with a pot of hot ginger tea from the Chinese restaurant, "just like Mama used to make".

I'd say that plus the green apples, and daughter may very well survive!

And based on the inventory of your beverages so far, well, whether you survive or not--you may not care! 😂

You've hit most of my faves so far--but make sure you have a Rum Cake from Shakers Martini Bar for dessert at least one night!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, chrisdar1 said:

Thanks so much for sharing the dailies!  

Loving your review, not sure if you’ll be hanging at Spice H2O, but would love to know how bad the smoke stack debris is… and how crowded it is on the sea day.

I did a quick pass through Spice H2O on my way to a massage at Mandara Spa. The wind is currently blowing the smoke from the stacks sideways and Spice H20 is 50% (?) occupied. 

979EE351-355C-4A50-8BF8-6A947EAB2814.jpeg

4DFA7CAC-4725-416A-BB43-C4F9F8998FAA.jpeg

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, spenecer said:

I did a quick pass through Spice H2O on my way to a massage at Mandara Spa. The wind is currently blowing the smoke from the stacks sideways and Spice H20 is 50% (?) occupied. 

Awesome!  Thanks so much.  I didn't see Spice H2O listed as a venue in the Dailies for the 80's party tonight so I didn't know if it was shut down or closed again.  

Glad to hear it's open!  (And not too packed on your only sea day!)

2 hours ago, spenecer said:

Day 2, Drink #6

The Matador at Maltings Whiskey Bar

B6A8C5B4-86A9-48F2-A124-E3A553951A7A.jpeg

May I suggest you try the Honey Lemonade,  it’s dangerously delicious!   Sadly on my last 4 NCL cruises I could not get one as they couldn’t get JD Honey.  😢

11 minutes ago, AKR2011 said:

How is your daughter adjusting to ship life? Is she finding ways to enjoy herself and making friends?

My daughter spent the day seasick but seems to be recovering now the pharmaceuticals are kicking in. 

• Like 2

Day 2, Drink #7 - Cosmopolitan

2C39D28E-6FAA-4796-A806-2ED0F6A4C538.thumb.jpeg.7971a0a11cefd42e3659e6cf2984ba44.jpeg

This post is short because the martini glass doesn’t fit in the cup holder in the Epic Theatre without tilting and the ship is swaying a lot so I’m typing this entry with only one thumb and holding the drink with the other hand. My daughter claims she is too young for Elton John so I’m seeing This One’s for You alone.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, spenecer said:

My daughter claims she is too young for Elton John so I’m seeing This One’s for You alone.

😨  Nobody is too young for Elton John!  What's next, is she going to claim the Beatles are old people music?  😉 

• Haha 3

Mandara Spa Massage Review

Yesterday, Mandara Spa held a raffle for spa services (must be present to win!) and as a consolation prize, all the (losing) attendees present were offered the chance to purchase the Manager’s Special for $149 (but now, book later). The Manager’s Special consisted of a 75 minute Swedish massage with hot oils, hot stones, foot massage and hand massage.  As I almost never have time to get a massage during my normal work week nor do I have a good masseuse, I decided to take the discount and experience a cruise massage. 

F260DE38-D1F4-40A1-83F0-B8C2E76D2A74.thumb.jpeg.62e7927184fcf9b0078604503d8591a4.jpeg

As I’ve had a lot of bodywork done in the past and I have severely tight muscles in my shoulders and neck, I wasn’t expecting much from a cruise ship massage.  I now have very soft skin but my neck and shoulder muscles are still tight. This is about what I expected. It was relaxing (I feel asleep twice!) but my muscle problems are too severe.

My recommendation is to go the raffle on the first day and get in on the Manager’s Special.  The massage is nice but even nicer is not paying full price. 

• Like 3

I see you are going to Aruba tomorrow (Mar 28). Have a great time, amazing beautiful beaches. I always stay at a hotel in Aruba in Palm Beach so if you will be near the RIU, Hilton, Hyatt on the beaches, I recommend having lunch at Bugaloes on the DePalm Pier between the RIU and the Hilton. It is a great bar/restaurant overlooking the water. Great location for a nice, decent price lunch.  Enjoy Aruba, it's amazing.

1 hour ago, Pat.D said:

😨  Nobody is too young for Elton John!  What's next, is she going to claim the Beatles are old people music?  😉 

😂 Brings to mind a conversation with my nephew many years ago. Apparently the Beatles were not that popular, certainly not a mega band.

• Haha 2

I went to Headliners Comedy club (sans daughter) where the comedian did anagrams!  I love words. Now, I’m on the pool deck with the recovered seasick girl listening to music that I completely don’t recognize but she can sing the lyrics. I feel old but I have a martini to console me. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3