Where does Riviera port for Bordeaux?

sammygeorge

We are scheduled to arrive in Bordeaux on October 1 on Riviera. There are 3 possible ports for Bordeaux: Verdon, Bassens, and city center. Our reservation simply says Bordeaux. I'm trying to figure out tours. Does anyone know where we'll port?

52 minutes ago, sammygeorge said:

We are scheduled to arrive in Bordeaux on October 1 on Riviera. There are 3 possible ports for Bordeaux: Verdon, Bassens, and city center. Our reservation simply says Bordeaux. I'm trying to figure out tours. Does anyone know where we'll port?

You’re just a tad early for a definitive answer.

But, for starters, check with the local Port Authority (one or more). Their website should have the cruise ship schedules and berth assignments months ahead.

of course, that could change the night before your arrival (even making the location sent to you in your Cruise Summary and Boarding Pass emails incorrect.

That said, where multiple possibilities exist, always check with the local port authority for the actual location within 24 hours of embarkation.

2 hours ago, sammygeorge said:

Certainly makes doing private tours a thing of the past....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

Certainly makes doing private tours a thing of the past....

Most  reputable tour guides  know where the ship will be docked

Pax  well that is another story 😄

17 hours ago, sammygeorge said:

Per the 2023 Collection of Voyages...

On Oct 1st (1100) & Oct 2nd (to 2100) Riviera will be at "Bordeaux". Compare to May 29th when Riviera is shown as "Bordeaux (Le Verdon)".

Marina is shown at "Bordeaux (Le Verdon)" on May 27th.

It is fascinating that Sirena is shown at "Bordeaux (Le Verdon)" from 0800-1100 on April 29th AND also then shown at "Bordeaux" at 1700, staying the night and leaving from "Bordeaux" the next day at 1700.

So it appears you can rule out Verdon.

I see no mention of any ships at "Bassens".

Emailing the port authority would be the best way to go.

We had planned to be on Sirena last year on its cruise which included Bordeaux(but caught Covid two days before the boarding date so were unable to go). It was an overnight stop which seems to be a regular schedule for O here and I wanted to plan our time, devising our own walking tour and finding somewhere for dinner. Knowing where it would berth was important. Emailed the port authority (writing in English and French) and got a reply within a few days (in English) confirming Sirena would berth right in the city centre (which I assume is O's description of "Bordeaux").

I had previously searched the port authority website to try to find the answer but it only mentions that a ship is berthing, without the detail of exactly where.

Might be worth searching this forum for mentions of Bordeaux just to see if there's a pattern for the likes of Riviera.

FWIW, Riviera is doing a version of Sirena's cruise last year and is visiting the city on 6/7 June, the schedule only mentioning "Bordeaux".  Whilst the river is obviously wide enough for Sirena to turn, I've no idea if it would be OK for a larger ship, such as Riviera. I'd be interested in the answer, as it's possible we may look to book this cruise at the last minute

Edited by Harters

I had time on my hands this afternoon (the benefit of being retired)  so have done  a  bit of searching on the forum.

I find mentions that both Riviera and Marina have berthed in the city centre, so no technical problem there about turning. I've also looked at several cruises this year which go to the city. There is a pattern. Those cruises which are only there for the day seem to berth at "Bordeaux (Le Verdun)", whilst cruises which have an overnight stay berth at "Bordeaux" which I am now sure in my own mind means the city centre. Makes sense - if the cruise schedule only includes for the day, then you don't want to waste what time on what I understand is a four hour sail each way on the river.

1 hour ago, jonthomas said:

Ah we are there overnight...thank you for the sleuthing...

Don’t get too excited just yet. We were on the final two segments of the Insignia ATW this past summer 2022.

We we’re originally scheduled for an overnight in Bordeaux at the City Center. However, we had a port change that found us in Le Verdun on day 1 and Bordeaux on day 2.

As always, check with the appropriate Port Authorities within 24 hrs prior to arrival in the scheduled port.