Cruise stop in Kusadasi is 6am - 12:30pm. Is that too short for Ephesus?

Cruising in July NCL - was hoping to see Ephesus but concerned about the timing on that short a day.  Has anyone done this? Looks like all the tours are for longer periods than we'd have.

If that doesn't work, any recommendations for a short day in Kusadasi? 

Thanks!!

33 minutes ago, dotdo said:

Cruising in July NCL - was hoping to see Ephesus but concerned about the timing on that short a day.  Has anyone done this? Looks like all the tours are for longer periods than we'd have.

Thanks!!

The cruise line is offering excursions to Ephesus that are longer than you are in port?  Or are you looking at non-cruise line tours?  

It's definitely not ideal, but technically, a quick walk thru the entire Ephesus site could be done in less than an hour (excluding the Terrace Houses).  But I would not want to do that.  A talking guide would probably use 90 minutes or more, I think (again, excluding the Terrace Houses).  It is about a 30 minute trip each direction to get from port to Ephesus.  Add in some delays for loading/unloading/waiting/traffic.  So, yes it's doable in your timeframe, but not ideal.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 1

It's worth repeating that private tours in Europe are generally truly private and flexible. Assuming you're not booking thru a consolidator but with a genuine operator, they will work with you to provide a tour that matches the time you have available if it is at all possible.

In July, the site opens at 8am. Have a van pick you up at 7:30 and you will be among the first there. You can spend 3 hours on the site, which is plenty for most. You'll still be back at the ship around 11:30.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 3

On 3/21/2023 at 5:06 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Forgot to mention that with such a tight time-frame it wouldn't be possible to include any of the other stops that are often included (such as the Virgin Mary's House, the Temple of Artemis, etc.)

I disagree. Last year, with the same 12:30 p.m. departure time, I set up a tour with Ephesus Shuttle that included the Temple of Artemis and the Terrace Houses (both specifically requested by one or more in our group), but not the House of Mary. We didn't feel rushed, and made it back to the ship with plenty of time.

2 hours ago, kochleffel said:

I disagree. Last year, with the same 12:30 p.m. departure time, I set up a tour with Ephesus Shuttle that included the Temple of Artemis and the Terrace Houses (both specifically requested by one or more in our group), but not the House of Mary. We didn't feel rushed, and made it back to the ship with plenty of time.

I consider the Terrace Houses part of the Ephesus site. 

For the Temple of Artemis did you just do a photo stop?

• 2 months later...

I have been to Ephesus once - a very long time ago.  (40 years or more ago).  It is amazing.  Since I was there they have added a museum which I am keen to see.   I don't mind a quick walk through of the main sites and the terrace houses are off limits to me anyway now (mobility).   We signed up for a tour of Ephesus with minimal walking AND a short museum tour.  Sounds ideal and is listed on Oceania to last 2 1/2 hours which would be well within the time stated as available.

I think it takes under 30mns to drive there from the port.

• 2 weeks later...

We just went to Ephesus, and I think we spent about 3 hours there, including the Terrace Houses, so if you can find a tour that works with your schedule restrictions, and can get you there right when it opens, you should be okay. I think it would be worth doing even with a shorter visit.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/28/2023 at 7:58 PM, fishiecrackers said:

We just went to Ephesus, and I think we spent about 3 hours there, including the Terrace Houses, so if you can find a tour that works with your schedule restrictions, and can get you there right when it opens, you should be okay. I think it would be worth doing even with a shorter visit.

Who did you book your tour through?

On 3/21/2023 at 1:30 PM, dotdo said:

Thanks!!

We are cruising NCL in November and currently there aren't any excursions offered.  Called the excursion desk and they gave me the run around

5 hours ago, auburngirl said:

We are cruising NCL in November and currently there aren't any excursions offered.  Called the excursion desk and they gave me the run around

We've just been in June. Did Ephesus and Mary's place with Curio Travel. They picked us up at 7.30am and had us back to the ship at noon. It was an excellent excursion. It cost us US$84 each for 4 people. If you're departing at 12.30pm though.. you would want to shorten it. Probably drop off Mary. 

• Like 1

It's been several years, but I've booked Ephesus Shuttle multiples times.  Always had wonderful tours. There never was pressure to "add on" stops not wanted (rug factories!), and they adapted the tour to our time.  

• Like 1

On 3/28/2023 at 9:44 PM, cruisemom42 said:

I consider the Terrace Houses part of the Ephesus site. 

For the Temple of Artemis did you just do a photo stop?

At the Temple of Artemis, just a photo stop. One of our group had a degree in classics and probably wanted more. As for the Terrace Houses, a standard tour with limited time doesn't automatically include them, and there wouldn't have been time without skipping the House of Mary (which someone in the group said they wanted to see, but I had told everyone before they signed up that we'd be skipping it).