King Crab Legs in Pinnacle Grill on Koningsdam?

Phamer55

Hello.  Any recent cruisers know if the Pinnacle Grill is serving King Crab legs on the Koningsdam?  I checked the menu on my HAL Navigator app (sailing in May) and it's not listed, but I still see on it on the "sample menu" from the HAL website.

15 minutes ago, lavictoria said:

Local news reported last autumn that the King Crab harvesting season was cancelled due to population collapse.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/alaska-crab-season-cancelled-1.6613694

That is correct and I saw it on the TV show "Deadliest Catch" and there was a very limited season on the Golden King Crab which was fetching a very high price for the crab fishermen last year.

• Like 1

This is really awful. I like king crab and I want the crab industry to flourish, but sheesh, it's looking pretty bleak. Wonder how it long it might take for the populations to come back. But if warm water is a big part of the problem, that might not change. 

• Like 1

Plus, we stopped buying Alaskan King Crab that walked west into Russian waters and are harvested there. Miss Alaskan King Crab on menu in Pinnacle and MDR.  Ashore in Alaskan Ports, the price was nuts!

4 hours ago, Colorado Klutch said:

This is really awful. I like king crab and I want the crab industry to flourish, but sheesh, it's looking pretty bleak. Wonder how it long it might take for the populations to come back. But if warm water is a big part of the problem, that might not change. 

No one can say, but most fingers are pointing to trawling - harvesting methods. As well as shifting population grounds, due to variable ocean temperature changes.  Maybe they still are out there, but they have not yet been discovered in their new homes?  

Good survey of possible causes: https://news.mongabay.com/2022/11/did-climate-change-really-kill-billions-of-snow-crabs-in-alaska/

Who does or can really patrol the seas when various nations choose to follow their own rules, as well as their own country's commercial taste demands.

We did the Koningsdam 18-day Circle Hawaii just this past February. I did not notice King Crab on the Pinnacle Grill menu, but there was a Seafood night that was held in a cordoned-off portion of the Lido one night. $49pp (my best recollection) for a bucket of seafood that included King Crab legs, a white fish, salmon, mussels, potatoes. Chowder and cornbread was served as an appetizer.  It was delicious,  but too much food. One bucket really enough for two. Although I doubt they would have allowed two to split... lol

We were just on the Noordam in New Zealand and a Seafood Boil was offered one evening in the Lido, as mentioned above. It included a piece of salmon, a 1/2 Dungeness crab, shrimp, mussels, potatoes, garlic bread and corn. $35 plus gratuity-DH really enjoyed it. I don't care for seafood so I just chose what I wanted at the buffet and ate with him.

• Like 1

The king crab was on the PG menu on the Rotterdam, December 2021 in the Caribbean. It was delicious. It was not on the menu on my next two cruises, but lobster was. It was delicious and huge and much tastier than I had had before. I’m hoping that it’s on the menu next month on the Volendam. 

On 3/22/2023 at 1:01 PM, lavictoria said:

Local news reported last autumn that the King Crab harvesting season was cancelled due to population collapse.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/alaska-crab-season-cancelled-1.6613694

Crab entree/main selection was not offered in MDR or Pinnacle Grill during our May 2022 Alaskan cruise as it had been in the past. Nor was it offered Sept Canada/NE, Nov/Dec Mexican Riviera, Feb 2023 Caribbean.

The only place we were able to find King Crab was at the Captain Cook hotel in Anchorage - almost $200/lb!! 

Yes, the cancellation of crab season is real.

• Thanks 1

The other day we had lunch at the Nishiki Market (Kyoto, Japan) at a popular stand that had all kinds of crab (and other seafood).  A simple crab on a stick item (these are quite large) cost 400 Yen (about $3) and was quite delicious.  A similar sized item of King Crab on a stick was 4000 Yen (about $30).  Suffice it to say that they were not selling many King Crab treats.  I do really enjoy King Crab but it is now difficult to justify the cost.  The last couple of times we were on Seabourn, they were no longer offering King Crab (they used to sometimes have it at a special party in their Colonnade (Lido).  No way HAL can now afford to offer King Crab  unless they had a very big extra charge.

Hank

Just came off the Koningsdam and the Pinnacle has removed the crab legs from their menu.  Also, my husband wanted some mushrooms (he got three of them) along with his salad and they charged him $7 extra.  

12 minutes ago, femxrczr said:

Just came off the Koningsdam and the Pinnacle has removed the crab legs from their menu.  Also, my husband wanted some mushrooms (he got three of them) along with his salad and they charged him $7 extra.  

Curious, when you brought that up with the waiter/Maître d'/customer service, what was the explanation?

-gregma

32 minutes ago, wdw1972 said:

Any additional appetizer brings a cost of $7 plus 18% service charge.  Are mushrooms listed on the appetizer menu?

Sue/WDW1972

Might have been different on that cruise...  But I'm seeing mushrooms as a "side" for an entree, not an appetizer.  And no mention of charges for sides.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/hal/cruise-experience/dining/menus/pinnacle-grill-dining-experience.pdf

-gregma

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gregma60 said:

Might have been different on that cruise...  But I'm seeing mushrooms as a "side" for an entree, not an appetizer.  And no mention of charges for sides.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/hal/cruise-experience/dining/menus/pinnacle-grill-dining-experience.pdf

-gregma

I recall them as a side also, but wasn't sure.  Sides aren't supposed to cost any extra, but maybe to get them out with appetizers the steward had to enter it as an appetizer?  In any case, I hope they took that charge off - that's just ridiculous!

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 2

Mushrooms have been an included side dish on all my Pinnacle Grill visits.  That charge should have been removed from their bill.  Unfortunately, they said they have already disembarked and it's a hassle to get it removed at this point.

~Nancy