Grand voyage s America and Antarctica

55cruises

Completed 74 day voyage on volendam.

cruise was not a true grand voyage..it was totally misrepresented..

Holland has gone down in many areas...

Staff as usual was wonderful....food not so much..entertainment little to none...complaints galore by many 4 n 5 star Mariners..as well as,President Mariners.

COVID did have an impact for sure.

But ridiculous  the lack of grandeur  for a so called "Grand  Voyage....

Here is one clue about what to expect when asking for "gradueur" when choosing similar long itineraries in South America: price

HAL ships Zaandam-Zuidedam:  $9,000 to $15,000

"Grand Luxury Lines - Silversea-Regent:  $42,000 - $199.000

Caveat Emptor when picking future "grand" cruises.

Fort Lauderdale, FL Fort Lauderdale, FL Silversea / Silver Nova 6 $199,600 $52,000 74% Suite!
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know anyone that has done a cruise blog for South America?  We are planning a cruise in 2025 and would like to read and get some helpful hints, information, ideas and gather more excitement, if that is possible, until then.  I know I have read Kathi's blog from 2019 but would love any more suggestions for other blogs.  Thank you!

• Like 1

On 3/21/2023 at 8:53 PM, 55cruises said:

Completed 74 day voyage on volendam.

cruise was not a true grand voyage..it was totally misrepresented..

Holland has gone down in many areas...

Staff as usual was wonderful....food not so much..entertainment little to none...complaints galore by many 4 n 5 star Mariners..as well as,President Mariners.

COVID did have an impact for sure.

But ridiculous  the lack of grandeur  for a so called "Grand  Voyage....

Could you give us an example, for instance----------?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alibabacruisers said:

Does anyone know anyone that has done a cruise blog for South America?  We are planning a cruise in 2025 and would like to read and get some helpful hints, information, ideas and gather more excitement, if that is possible, until then.  I know I have read Kathi's blog from 2019 but would love any more suggestions for other blogs.  Thank you!

The roll call participants excelled at incorporating a day by day experience guide in the roll call.  It should be bookmarked for all future travelers.

in general response:

I did the 35 day segment.  Yes, the entertainment was not great but both the CD and shore ex manager did excellent presentations - far better than some lecturers I have listened to.  I did not care for the enrichment lecturers but many others seemed to think they were great. I expected a far better enrichment experience.  The house band was the best.  As to the grandness, i missed the memo and had no preconceived notions. DH picked the voyage as that best suited his wish list and this one was from his side of the aisle.

My only major disappointment, trite as it is, was they had “special” lunch menus in the MDR and I never got my Dutch Pannekoeken or my beloved Croque Madame🥺

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, alibabacruisers said:

We are planning a cruise in 2025 and would like to read and get some helpful hints, information, ideas and gather more excitement, if that is possible, until then. 

The itinerary was excellent.  We had a party of six and enjoyed every port stop, although a few were a bit rustic.  Now, beware, the weather can play a major part in all this, particularly as you head south across Drake's Passage, around Antarctica, and return via the Falklands.  Several complained when we skipped the Falklands to avoid heavy weather, not to mention the harbour at Stanley was closed for that reason.  It just ruined their entire trip, you know.

As far as a "true Grand Voyage"...I don't know what that means.  I'm an inside steerage denizen.  By my observation, bring a little black dress/blazer/sport coat/dress slacks and you'll be fine.  Bring a tux and formal dresses if that's your preference.  The difference between smart casual, gala and formal wear in the dining room is a bit blurred.  It's all pretty liberal - even shorts on men occasionally pass muster.

• Like 1