Cruising from Amsterdam

Frankzal

12will be cruising out of Amsterdam on Aug 26 on the Rotterdam. 

Does anyone know if HAL offers a pre-cruise hotel with transportation to the cruise port (I can’t find anything in the cruise planner).

we will be taking the train from London on Aug 25 (actually, we are getting off the QM2 in Southampton on the25th).

For anyone familiar with Amsterdam:

How far is the Amsterdam rail station from the cruise port and/or hotels? Our train is scheduled to arrive about 11:30 pm. Will taxis be available at the train station?

Our only experience with Amsterdam is getting off a river cruise and taking the train to Germany, so any input would be very helpful. 

1 hour ago, Frankzal said:

How far is the Amsterdam rail station from the cruise port and/or hotels? Our train is scheduled to arrive about 11:30 pm. Will taxis be available at the train station?

It's about a 15-20min walk...or you can take a taxi I believe.

1 hour ago, Frankzal said:

Does anyone know if HAL offers a pre-cruise hotel with transportation to the cruise port (I can’t find anything in the cruise planner).

They should. But it's under Travel Planning...

image.thumb.png.0131a5d773926afa5ebd228b6a3b7f13.png

1 hour ago, alyssamma said:

It's about a 15-20min walk...or you can take a taxi I believe.

They should. But it's under Travel Planning...

image.thumb.png.0131a5d773926afa5ebd228b6a3b7f13.png

Thanks. I saw that but when you go to the pre-cruise tab all it talks about is transportation from the airport to the cruise port. Nothing else is available at this time. 

3 minutes ago, Frankzal said:

Thanks. I saw that but when you go to the pre-cruise tab all it talks about is transportation from the airport to the cruise port. Nothing else is available at this time. 

Sorry, I misunderstood. You are looking for a hotel, and then transportation from the hotel to the port?

In that case, there are dozens of hotels there as it is right by the main rail station (and the cruise port). Taxis/Ubers/whatever will be plentiful to get you from the hotel to the port.

I do not believe HAL sets this up.

If you want a specific recommendation, go into the Amsterdam port of call forum...but really, there are a bunch of really nice hotels, and some right next to the port.

32 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

Sorry, I misunderstood. You are looking for a hotel, and then transportation from the hotel to the port?

In that case, there are dozens of hotels there as it is right by the main rail station (and the cruise port). Taxis/Ubers/whatever will be plentiful to get you from the hotel to the port.

I do not believe HAL sets this up.

If you want a specific recommendation, go into the Amsterdam port of call forum...but really, there are a bunch of really nice hotels, and some right next to the port.

Thanks. 

I live and cruise out of Florida so usually don’t have to deal with pre-cruise hotels😎

Since we arrive in Amsterdam late on the 25th/early on the 26th we are looking for something close to both the train station and cruise port to minimize travel time. 

will check out the Amsterdam forum. 

I have booked Movenpick Hotel because it is basically at the cruise port. You walk out of the hotel and it is right there. Also, my research shows that Uber and Bolt car services are available in Amsterdam. Both have apps available.

• Like 3

We stayed at the Movenpick Hotel a few ago and it was very nice.  The have a great breakfast buffet, and the bar has the best Heineken  drafts I have ever had. There is also a trolley stop just outside the hotel that will take you into the center of town. If you have the option, go to Amsterdam a couple of days early and explore.  They have a national art museum  that is well worth seeing.   https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInPbIg8646QIVmovICh1a1Q_8EAAYASAAEgK8WfD_BwE

Enjoy your visit and cruise.

• Like 3

It's 1750 feet from Amsterdam Central to the Movenpick which is 50 feet from the cruise terminal.    You'll likely do more walking navigating King's Cross / St. Pancras boarding the Eurostar.   🙂       Scott. 

image.thumb.png.1f3a38a9dcaf74e5598a234a371c517a.png

• Like 3

HAL is using the Movenpick. Both it and Doubletree Central appear fully booked when you try to do a faked booking. (As most of Amsterdam hotels do….I was told it is due to a huge cardiology convention? Under travel planning, there is a pre and post stays.that is where you book. If arriving at Schiphol train station, your transfer to hotel will be included with hotel. I think Hotel rate was around $347. pp per night by the cruise line, breakfast included. Cruise terminal is beside hotel. Hotels in area…Doubletree, Jakarta, and Movenpick.

There is also a tram from the Central Station right to the cruise port - very short ride, and only a few euros. Also, if you don't want to pay the obnoxious rates near the port or train station, there are quite a few hotels right at the Schipol airport. We often use the Steigenberger Schipol Hotel, very nice with a free shuttle to/from the airport every 30 minutes. You can pick up the rail right at the airport and will take to right to Central Station in about 25 minutes. From there, grab the tram. Ideal if you can walk a bit, and don't have a ton of luggage. If so, use a taxi, about 50euro from airport or hotel to cruise port.

• Like 1

Our last 2 cruises that were to leave from Amsterdam ended up leaving from Rotterdam because of the water level in the canals.  

We had booked our hotel (which comes with a transfer) through HAL.  Our hotel was Movenpick which was 2/3 doors from the cruise terminal in Amsterdam - but since we sailed from Rotterdam, HAL transferred us by bus.  

6 hours ago, Gigi1977 said:

Our last 2 cruises that were to leave from Amsterdam ended up leaving from Rotterdam because of the water level in the canals.  

I know this is a HAL forum but here is our experience with the Amsterdam cruise port. Our September Celebrity Apex cruise has moved from departing in Amsterdam to Rotterdam because of water issues in Amsterdam.  If anyone books a hotel in Amsterdam, make sure it is cancelable in the event this cruise is moved to Rotterdam. Several in our Roll Call made this mistake and are stuck in hotels near the Amsterdam cruise port and will have to take a private transport to Rotterdam on the morning of departure. We are staying in Amsterdam for 3 days prior to our cruise and taking a private transport to the Rotterdam cruise port.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

We are staying in Amsterdam for 3 days prior to our cruise and taking a private transport to the Rotterdam cruise port.

In case any of us booked this summer out of Amsterdam wind up in the same position, do you mind letting us know who you are booked with for that private transport?  Thanks! 

5 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

In case any of us booked this summer out of Amsterdam wind up in the same position, do you mind letting us know who you are booked with for that private transport?  Thanks! 

We have 4 of us traveling together and we used VIP Travel Services and they pick us up in a minivan at the hotel and drop us off at the Rotterdam cruise port for 209 Euros total. We also booked them to take us to the hotel from the airport. If they are booked try using Trip Advisor or Viator which is how we found this company.

https://viptravelservices.com/rates/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is there enough to do in Rotterdam to just stay there pre-cruise?  We’ve been to Amsterdam twice before.  Right now we are sailing from Amsterdam but HAL has been changing the itineraries at the “last minute” I have to wonder if they will do the same thing with this potential issue.   

4 minutes ago, Skicruiser55 said:

Is there enough to do in Rotterdam to just stay there pre-cruise?  We’ve been to Amsterdam twice before.  Right now we are sailing from Amsterdam but HAL has been changing the itineraries at the “last minute” I have to wonder if they will do the same thing with this potential issue.   

Here is a link for visiting Rotterdam

Things to do in Rotterdam: day trip to 3 day break - Helen on her Holidays

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Skicruiser55 said:

HAL did this last year for many of the Amsterdam departures.

Just now, terrydtx said:

That’s what I am afraid of and considering booking a refundable hotel room in Rotterdam just in case.  We don’t sail until July and I don’t want to be scrambling at the last minute (I tend to OVER plan).  

4 minutes ago, Skicruiser55 said:

Is there enough to do in Rotterdam

Personally, I say yes -- Rotterdam's post-ww2 reconstruction architecture is pretty interesting (post-war / mid-century modernism) -- and it is also a good spot to jump-off for day trips?  Hoek van Holland; Keukenhof; Kinderdijk; Gouda are all easily (and cheaply) accessible by transit / train. 

Last summer's restrictions lock passage were lifted eventually (21 September 2022).  

https://myport.portofamsterdam.com/nl/update/schutregime.     Scott. 

20 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Do you know how far before the sailings they made this change?  It looks like this didn’t impact sailings until August last year.  

Edited by Skicruiser55

9 minutes ago, Skicruiser55 said:

Do you know how far before the sailings they made this change?  It looks like this didn’t impact sailings until August last year.  

I do not remember, I just recall CC threads about the changes with many upset customers. Celebrity made the change for all summer season cruises this year in January. Changes can be happen at any time which is why I discourage any hotel bookings pre cruise that are non refundable. 

• Like 1