LIVE ALASKA NCL BLISS 04-22-2023 to 04-29-2023 Review

graphicguy

11 minutes ago, smillerholmes said:

Yikes!  That is very late.  Any info on what the delay might be?

From what I've read on several other threads, the change from 2X a day service to 1X a day means the Stewards have twice as  many rooms to service so the cabins take a lot longer to get ready.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SightCRR said:

I forgot that your trip is early in the season and only your ship in all the ports except for SEA on last day. Since trip is early I bet the snow on the mountains will make the views speculator. webcam views: TheSnowCloud Juneau area Webcams sightcrr. 

Hope that’s the case.  Just saw the White Sail Pass excursion is not showing on my excursion page.  That either means it’s canceled, or sold out.  Did kind of want to do it again with the snow still on the ground.  Maybe they can’t get it cleared?

Edited by graphicguy

27 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Hope that’s the case.  Just saw the White Sail Pass excursion is not showing on my excursion page.  That either means it’s canceled, or sold out.  Did kind of want to do it again with the snow still on the ground.  Maybe they can’t get it cleared?

I had it booked for 8:30 am but NCL changed me to 10:00 am without letting us know.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2023 at 9:11 AM, graphicguy said:

So, starting to really crank up the planning.  

For some of you, knowing that I’m just starting to look at excursions, entertainment and dinner planning is blasphemous.  But, I’m not a “planner”.  I prefer to book, fly to the port, get on board, wander around a bit, and then decide what I want to do, what I want to see, and what I want to drink/eat.

Anyway, looking at the White Pass Railway excursion in Skagway, it has changed times of departure to 2-ish p.m.  It’s a nearly 3 hour train ride.  Trying to find out when we depart Skagway, but am confounded to find that information.  But, given we dock at 7:00 a.m., that means we would probably have to depart somewhere around 7:00 p.m. in order for the train excursion to have enough time.

Am I thinking right?

Oh my god, just reading that you book things "on the fly" gives me anxiety. I always book things the second that they open up, but to each their own! Thats one of the reasons I love reading these live reports, its so cool to see all the different ways people like to plan and spend their vacations. Have a great time!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Elsammo46 said:

Oh my god, just reading that you book things "on the fly" gives me anxiety. I always book things the second that they open up, but to each their own! Thats one of the reasons I love reading these live reports, its so cool to see all the different ways people like to plan and spend their vacations. Have a great time!

Spent too many years (decades) filling every little bit of my Outlook calendar every single day.  When I retired, decided I was going to go the opposite way.  Especially on vacation, I stay flexible.  Another reason I like NCL’s Freestyle.

• Like 13

3 hours ago, Elsammo46 said:

I’m checking the exchange rates daily for € to $ and that’s already caused a€20 change in the excursion prices for me.  So I’ll probably pull the trigger on the 2 main excursions once the exchange rate hits $1.10 unless it looks likely to continue to improve.

On 4/5/2023 at 12:02 PM, graphicguy said:

Not a shill for these guys (although if they want to send me free product, I'll take it).  But, I despise the "urn" coffee on any cruise ship, NCL included.  Plus, having to leave my cabin just to get a decent cup of coffee when I get up defeats the purpose of my total laziness when I'm on a cruise.  And, we can't have that now, can we?

I used to bring those Starbucks instant packets with me on my cruises.  They're good for what they are, and certainly way better than the urn coffee.  But, I still need cream and sugar to get that to where I want it.

So, last cruise, I took these based on another lazy cruiser's recommendation (seems to be a theme developing).........

https://maxpressocoffee.com/what-is-maxpresso

It's an all-in-one type of coffee packet.  But, it's hella better than urn coffee and would say it's even better than the Starbucks stuff (cheaper too).

Highly recommended.

Got my Maxpresso packets from Amazon today and am so pleased with my purchase. I put two packets in a mug with 6 oz. of hot water and it was delicious! Really looking forward to using them in our pre-cruise hotel and on the Bliss in a few weeks. Thank you so much for the recommendation, @graphicguy!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

White Pass Summit Excursion | White Pass & Yukon Route Railway (wpyr.com)

Looks like wp&yr still have bookings for summit on 4/25 for 0900,1000 and 1:00 (none at 0800). In years past they held 10% of tickets for walkup guests from either rail pier workers or at the depot so if you can't get tickets from NCL try that. Won't help with NCL discounts however. This is old video but pretty cool. White Pass & Yukon Rotary Snow Plow (Narrow Gauge, Skagway, White Horse, Yukon, Canada, Alaska) - YouTube I am not sure if that is how they do it now a days. The Bliss will be there on the 18th so might get some more info on whether they were able to make the trip. Last I checked the webcam were inop. Caboose camera is looking right at rock slide area. With only one ship should be lots of room.  sightcrr

Edited by SightCRR
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, fastpitchdad said:

We are on the Bliss now, it is pretty crowded but there are still some spring breakers (5000+ guests). Even so, it isn't too bad, never have to wait for a drink although there are lines for the MDRs at lunch (not sure about dinner). 

The Bliss does not currently have 5000+ guests.  There are currently just under 4100 passengers on board.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SightCRR said:

I forgot that your trip is early in the season and only your ship in all the ports except for SEA on last day. Since trip is early I bet the snow on the mountains will make the views speculator. webcam views: TheSnowCloud Juneau area Webcams sightcrr. 

Thank you.  The link is amazing.  I’m so excited, I may go out and buy new skivvies for this trip.

• Haha 1

Norwegian Bliss Bridge (Forward) Webcam / Camera - Norwegian Bliss Webcams - Norwegian Cruise Line - Cruising Earth

Scroll down for bridge cam and futher down for track. Can follow along the week before to see the docks and area where ship is. If there are any HAL ships nearby check out those cameras. Pan, tilt, review & zoom. If close can get all kinds of good shots of your ship. Maybe on your return to SEA. NCL Sun from HAL. sightcrr

1340CROP.jpeg

Edited by SightCRR
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, SightCRR said:

Norwegian Bliss Bridge (Forward) Webcam / Camera - Norwegian Bliss Webcams - Norwegian Cruise Line - Cruising Earth

Scroll down for bridge cam and futher down for track. Can follow along the week before to see the docks and area where ship is. If there are any HAL ships nearby check out those cameras. Pan, tilt, review & zoom. If close can get all kinds of good shots of your ship. Maybe on your return to SEA. NCL Sun from HAL. sightcrr

1340CROP.jpeg

So cool.  Thanks so much.

So, just took another gander at the White Pass TRAIN excursion.  Showed back up in my planner.  Only, this time, it's for 2:00 p.m.  Was worried about the other offering being late in the day (5:00 p.m.).  Snagged the 2 time slot.

Early for me, but snagged show reservations for SIX (4/25@7) and Jersey Boys (4/26@6:30).  Probably wait until I board to look at any specialty dining.

Have 5 SPDs...

-LeBistro complements of AMEX

-Courtesy of FAS and Latitudes...looking at Ocean Blue, Food Republic, Teppenyaki and Q Smokehouse. Things could change, but I'm thinking I'm not even going to dine in any of the MDRs this trip.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

So, just took another gander at the White Pass TRAIN excursion.  Showed back up in my planner.  Only, this time, it's for 2:00 p.m.  Was worried about the other offering being late in the day (5:00 p.m.).  Snagged the 2 time slot.

Early for me, but snagged show reservations for SIX (4/25@7) and Jersey Boys (4/26@6:30).  Probably wait until I board to look at any specialty dining.

Have 5 SPDs...

-LeBistro complements of AMEX

-Courtesy of FAS and Latitudes...looking at Ocean Blue, Food Republic, Teppenyaki and Q Smokehouse. Things could change, but I'm thinking I'm not even going to dine in any of the MDRs this trip.

That looks fabulous. My envy continues to grow. My Epic cruise ends on 4/22. If only there was a way to beam me to Seattle.

17 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

That looks fabulous. My envy continues to grow. My Epic cruise ends on 4/22. If only there was a way to beam me to Seattle.

Refresh my memory....where are you disembarking?

Edited by graphicguy

9 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

The Bliss does not currently have 5000+ guests.  There are currently just under 4100 passengers on board.

We were told by guest services that there were 4300 plus 800+ kids but I guess they could have just pulled that number from their ... . It does feel really crowded. 

7 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

I disembark in Manhattan…only SST would do…or Scotty

I got you covered....very doable.  You can buy different clothes on board.  Join us!!!!  I'll even add you to the meet and greet.

NewarkSeattle
Total price from
$316

Selected flights

Track prices

Sat, Apr 2211:44 AM – 2:58 PM
United
6 hr 14 min
EWRSEA
Nonstop

Sat, Apr 2912:14 PM – 8:48 PM
United
5 hr 34 min
SEAEWR
Nonstop

New YorkSeattle
Total price from
$288

Selected flights

Track prices

Sat, Apr 2211:25 AM – 2:38 PM
Delta
6 hr 13 min
JFKSEA
Nonstop

Sat, Apr 2911:59 AM – 8:25 PM
Delta
5 hr 26 min
SEAJFK
Nonstop

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I got you covered....very doable.  You can buy different clothes on board.  Join us!!!!  I'll even add you to the meet and greet.

NewarkSeattle
Total price from
$316

Selected flights

Track prices

Sat, Apr 2211:44 AM – 2:58 PM
United
6 hr 14 min
EWRSEA
Nonstop

Sat, Apr 2912:14 PM – 8:48 PM
United
5 hr 34 min
SEAEWR
Nonstop

New YorkSeattle
Total price from
$288

Selected flights

Track prices

Sat, Apr 2211:25 AM – 2:38 PM
Delta
6 hr 13 min
JFKSEA
Nonstop

Sat, Apr 2911:59 AM – 8:25 PM
Delta
5 hr 26 min
SEAJFK
Nonstop

You are an enabler!

Truth be told I did see that flight, but sadly I think the flight arrives too late for a 5:00 PM departure. If you can rustle up an old Concorde let me know. 

Edited by Sugar Magnolia
  • Haha 3