LIVE ALASKA NCL BLISS 04-22-2023 to 04-29-2023 Review

graphicguy

On 4/24/2023 at 11:48 PM, graphicguy said:

IMG_0839.jpeg

IMG_0838.jpeg

IMG_0841.jpeg

WOW looks amazing! Do you know if you can go to Q if one person in your party doesn't want to order food but just have a beer? My cabin mate is not a huge meat eater and tends to eat later but would like to sit with others during dinner. Can we use one dining credit for one person and the other person choose not to eat?

4 hours ago, genma803 said:

WOW looks amazing! Do you know if you can go to Q if one person in your party doesn't want to order food but just have a beer? My cabin mate is not a huge meat eater and tends to eat later but would like to sit with others during dinner. Can we use one dining credit for one person and the other person choose not to eat?

Yeah…there were folks there who were just listening to the band!

Sorry…tough to log in last night.  So, could not post.

Unfortunately, posting pics is still onerous.  Will post when I can get Cruise Critic to keep from dropping them.

Dinner at Los Lobos…I live in Ohio.  Aside from some chains and a Mom/Pop place here and there, we’re far from being able to discern what authentic Mexican food is and what it isn’t.  

What I do know, the food I had at Los Lobos was great.  Had the beef, with a green sauce along with the table side chips and salsa.  Had a “gazpacho” that was chilled.  All of it was great.  Don’t pass this place up.

Onto see SIX.  Great entertainment and performers.  Liked Jersey Boys more, but I think that’s because it had more of a macho theme/vibe.

Said it before….say it again…NCL OFFERS THE BEST ENTERTAINMENT AT SEA!

• Like 6

Ketchikan today..drizzly and gloomy.  May step off the ship to nose around.  Probably not do much more than that.

SIDE NOTES…

-played in the Hold’em Tournament last night.  $80 entrance fee.  Did no rebuys as I was playing at a table with a very drunk, toothless guy, who eventually knocked me out.  Figured it was a sign to quit emma’s the poker gods were not with me.  Still up $300+ for the trip, though!

Went to chat with both the internet cafe people yesterday, too!  Showed them how SLOOOWWW their Streaming, top tier internet speeds are, and how it was impossible to stream and post pics.  They said what I already knew…Alaska, Mountains, etc affects the Sat signal.  

Off to Customer Service.  Guy 2 places in front of me was declaring he wanted to remove his DSC.  Customer Service guy was calm…asked why.  The guy stumbled a bit…said something about the smell of the soap in the cabin should be bars not liquids and that he was tipping as he went.  Customer Service made an offer to have the Steward swap out his soap, but stillgave him the form.  

By the time I got in front of the Customer Service rep to log MY internet complaint, I explained that if there’s less than steaming capable speeds for WiFi, they shouldn’t charge for the upgrade.  No push back.  He said he understood.  Called the internet Cafe manager to confirm, and gave me $100 credit.

Thanked him for his help and chuckled when I asked him about the guy who demanded his DSC removed.  He laughed and said they took every guest complaint seriously, as he rolled his eyes.  He said they get 5-6 requests per cruise to remove the DSC.  That’s out of 4,000 guests.  They must stand out like a sore thumb to the crew!

IMG_0929.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

15 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Dan - just dropping in to say hi, typing on my Chromebook and signed out of the Pixel 7 Pro, which has work really work in general.  EMC's satellite WiFi in my end of the Atlantic (middle of nowhere, currently about 1,000 nm from next port of call) still holding up - decent speed.  

You got great pictures, Alaska is one of those on our repeat / return to list, just like Hawaii but perhaps not POA again.  Now that DW likes these longer cruises - going to be difficult to slot everything ahead without put a serious dent in (and going way over) our annual travel, leisure & vacation budget, haha.  Being happily retired is a good thing with serious challenges.  

Going to scroll thru this thread later once we get back to our hi-speed Fios ... got plans for some of the ports but other stops en route, just going to wing it and "wake up" our best pal or buddy, name is okay "Google" and Hola, Live Translate.  

Best wishes & regards, looks like you are having a blast and getting pampered & showered with appreciations by the onboard management, good.  Chat later !!

Thanks Henry.  Dropping in on your thread when I get the chance.  You’ll still be cruising when I get home.  So will be able to peruse it easier then.  

Been a great cruise in my end, so far.  But, we’re on the down side of it!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

By the time I got in front of the Customer Service rep to log MY internet complaint, I explained that if there’s less than steaming capable speeds for WiFi, they shouldn’t charge for the upgrade.  No push back.  He said he understood.  Called the internet Cafe manager to confirm, and gave me $100 credit.

Good to know just in case I have issues on the Prima next week. Thanks for the Live! Enjoy the rest of your cruise with fellow 🐀s!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, www3traveler said:

Just saw something on another site saying that this week is the 5th Anniversary for The Bliss.  Have they said anything on board?  Do you have someone from Corporate to make the occassion?

51 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I think the GM mentioned it at the meet and greet. Do you remember that @graphicguy?

Yes….heard it at the M&G!  

• Like 1

WAAAAYYY OFF TOPIC…..but swing it to tie in with internet woes….

A few weeks ago, I was involved in a car accident.  Nothing that caused anything that drew blood, but I was rear ended and in turn hit the car in front of me.

Long story short, my car was “totaled”

Insurance of the “perp” who caused the accident provided me with a rental car.  Well, they want it back…. by TOMORROW.  Or, they are going to start charging me for it.  

My insurance company negotiated the settlement.  Check for my totaled car hit my bank account yesterday!

So, all week I’ve been negotiating for a new car.  Pictures going back and forth, Ts&Cs of the deal going from dealership to me and back to dealership.  

We have a deal!

But, the dealership has to go to rental car company to get car keys, pick up the rental car from the airport Fast Park, pay my parking fees.

Given I won’t get home until late Sat nite, taking an Uber, I won’t be able to pick up the new car until Sunday.  And, the dealership has to pick me up at home and bring me to the dealership.

Charged the car to my AMEX.  Once that charge went through, AMEX left me a boat load of voice mails wanting to know if the charge is legit. 

All this convoluted deal made more difficult given WiFi woes!  On the other hand, the wonders of on line business!😮😃

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

A few weeks ago, I was involved in a car accident.  Nothing that caused anything that drew blood, but I was rear ended and in turn hit the car in front of me.

Insurance of the “perp” who caused the accident provided me with a rental car.  Well, they want it back…. by TOMORROW.  Or, they are going to start charging me for it.  

My insurance company negotiated the settlement.  Check for my totaled car hit my bank account yesterday!

So, all week I’ve been negotiating for a new car.  Pictures going back and forth, Ts&Cs of the deal going from dealership to me and back to dealership.  

We have a deal!

But, the dealership has to go to rental car company to get car keys, pick up the rental car from the airport Fast Park, pay my parking fees.

Given I won’t get home until late Sat nite, taking an Uber, I won’t be able to pick up the new car until Sunday.  And, the dealership has to pick me up at home and bring me to the dealership.

Charged the car to my AMEX.  Once that charge went through, AMEX left me a boat load of voice mails wanting to know if the charge is legit. 

All this convoluted deal made more difficult given WiFi woes!  On the other hand, the wonders of on line business!😮😃

25% frustration

75% exaltation

Glad you were not injured. And a new toy awaits you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

@graphicguy and @ChiefMateJRK I have an idea!  Since you already have all the stuff for Alaska, why not book the Jewel leaving out of Vancouver back to Alaska on May 1?  A little flight switcheroo and we’re good to go!!

Chief and his charming wife may be up

for that, given they are already in their 2nd leg of their b2b!

I would certainly be tempted if I didn’t have so

many balls in the air!

Good thought, though!

I’d just need one more laundry coupon.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

We have a deal!

😲 Really glad you are ok and that things are working out for you. Not fun having to deal with that on your vaca. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

@graphicguy and @ChiefMateJRK I have an idea!  Since you already have all the stuff for Alaska, why not book the Jewel leaving out of Vancouver back to Alaska on May 1?  A little flight switcheroo and we’re good to go!!

Don’t tempt me!!  That said, I’ve made so many friends with bartenders, servers and entertainers on the Bliss that I would feel like I was “cheating” on them. 

Last night my new good friends in Siglo dedicated their first public performance ever of Purple Rain to me and DW.  It was fantastic!!  They told the audience that they had learned it while we were all watching the glaciers. Thanks friends!!😎

(I knew they had been working on it but we didn’t know when they would be ready)

• Like 8

And…we’re off.  My least favorite Alaska port.   But, we also didn’t spend much time here…

32 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

I am glad that you are okay other than totally frustrated.

I pray that your journey home goes well.

When is your next adventure?

I have a couple of  cruise next certs left.  I REALLY want to try Prima.   Those fares are pretty pricey because the ship is new.  May let that marinate a bit.

Also, hot to go back to the Mediterranean.

Will see!

• Like 3