Sky Princess Premium Desserts

Jeal

We were on the Sky Princess March 11-18. The Premium desserts were good when you could get them. Because we had booked our cruise after the price increase our package did not include single or double scoops of gelato - just the Premium dessert sundaes. The sundaes were made with gelato. A few times we were unable to get the sundaes because the glasses they serve them in weren’t ready and they refused to use any other dishes. Honestly, we didn’t think they were worth it. We would much rather just get a scoop of gelato in the flavor we liked even if we have to pay for it. There weren’t any cakes included in the package. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

MissP22 - I agree. I asked Guest Services about this and they said that was how it was rolled out. 
brisalta - those cakes weren’t available in the International Cafe nor anywhere else on the Sky Princess. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jeal said:

We were on the Sky Princess March 11-18. The Premium desserts were good when you could get them. Because we had booked our cruise after the price increase our package did not include single or double scoops of gelato - just the Premium dessert sundaes. The sundaes were made with gelato. A few times we were unable to get the sundaes because the glasses they serve them in weren’t ready and they refused to use any other dishes. Honestly, we didn’t think they were worth it. We would much rather just get a scoop of gelato in the flavor we liked even if we have to pay for it. There weren’t any cakes included in the package. 

When was this date?  I'm with you and everyone else here...I just want a scoop of gelato.  The full premium desserts look like a lot.

13 hours ago, Jeal said:

A few times we were unable to get the sundaes because the glasses they serve them in weren’t ready and they refused to use any other dishes. 

I think that's terrible! It seems to me like you should have been offered the option of one of the normal sundaes without all the stuff stuck onto it. Or simple scoops of gelato. Just telling you that you were out of luck sounds really bad.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jeal said:

I asked Guest Services about this and they said that was how it was rolled out. 

I am trying to wrap my head around the team and staff meetings that accompanied this rollout:

• "You make the special dessert using gelato.  And then you adorn it with all the other crap.  If you run out of the other crap, but still have gelato available, the people who purchased the Packages should be told "No, we don't have any available.  Please come back later."  But you should serve gelato to the next person in line who does not have a Package.
  • Likewise, if you run out of the special serving glasses, you should tell the people who purchased Packages that you cannot serve them the special desserts at this time, and ask them to come back at a later time.  But you should serve gelato to the next person in line who does not have a package in whatever glassware you have available. 
  • And if a person with a Package says that they do not need any of the extra crap and do not care about the fancy glass, and all they want is the exact amount of gelato that comes with the special dessert, served to them in whatever dish or bowl is handy, you must tell them that you cannot do that.  But when the next person in line without a Package asks for that exact same thing, you should serve it to them"

Did I miss anything, because I'm pretty sure this sums up the rollout, and suggests that these Team Leaders and the people to whom they report do not listen to the words that come out of their own mouths.  I'd love to see the case study from a Business School that establishes that this is a good business model.

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 6
  • Haha 4

I was also on the Sky March 11 and had the "old" package.  I could have used my OBC to get one of the desserts but truthfully they looked better suited for a kid's birthday party even though I LOVE my ice cream.  What I did find was at night in the buffet there is a small section that they were scooping ice cream (not sure it was gelato) with either Cherries Jubilee or Peaches flambe style.  Also a hot churro on Churriscaria night OMG 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Coasty said:

My cruise personalized now says "Unlimited Premium Desserts". I plan to order several a day. I won't eat them, I will give them away or just leave them on a table. Maybe Princess will get the message of just how ridiculous this is.

You could always leave one on a treadmill for laughs.

Be sure to send a photo. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

JimmyVWine - that is exactly how it was! Truthfully, although we like Princess, we will book our next cruise on a different line. For the first time in a long time we did not put a deposit on a future cruise. 

• Like 2

I'm confused, if you purchased the Plus package after the price increase, wouldn't you receive all of the new perks?   I thought gelato, cakes and 2 premium desserts per day were part of the new plus package.  I don't want any of those goofy sundaes, but I would like the gelato and cake.  How do you  know if you are eligible for gelato and cake?

4 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

I am trying to wrap my head around the team and staff meetings that accompanied this rollout:

• "You make the special dessert using gelato.  And then you adorn it with all the other crap.  If you run out of the other crap, but still have gelato available, the people who purchased the Packages should be told "No, we don't have any available.  Please come back later."  But you should serve gelato to the next person in line who does not have a Package.
  • Likewise, if you run out of the special serving glasses, you should tell the people who purchased Packages that you cannot serve them the special desserts at this time, and ask them to come back at a later time.  But you should serve gelato to the next person in line who does not have a package in whatever glassware you have available. 
  • And if a person with a Package says that they do not need any of the extra crap and do not care about the fancy glass, and all they want is the exact amount of gelato that comes with the special dessert, served to them in whatever dish or bowl is handy, you must tell them that you cannot do that.  But when the next person in line without a Package asks for that exact same thing, you should serve it to them"

Did I miss anything, because I'm pretty sure this sums up the rollout, and suggests that these Team Leaders and the people to whom they report do not listen to the words that come out of their own mouths.  I'd love to see the case study from a Business School that establishes that this is a good business model.

It's kind alike the dining schedule on our Christmas cruise.  All you with reservations line up on the left, those without line up on the right - then they alternated letting one in from each line.  By the time we got in it was 20 minutes after our reservation, but for those 20 minutes people without reservations were being seated.  Makes sense to someone.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shirazcruiser said:

I'm confused, if you purchased the Plus package after the price increase, wouldn't you receive all of the new perks?   I thought gelato, cakes and 2 premium desserts per day were part of the new plus package.  I don't want any of those goofy sundaes, but I would like the gelato and cake.  How do you  know if you are eligible for gelato and cake?

My lingering question…I have no idea when rate changes occurred. Not sure where I stand.

My wife correctly pointed out that we don’t go for dessert very often so if we just want gelato we can roll our eyes and pay the small surcharge and then move on with life, but it’s the principle of the thing lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jeal said:

MissP22 - I agree. I asked Guest Services about this and they said that was how it was rolled out. 
brisalta - those cakes weren’t available in the International Cafe nor anywhere else on the Sky Princess. 

Those cakes used to be standard in the buffet and no charge.

• Like 1

Just now, brisalta said:

Those cakes used to be standard in the buffet and no charge.

i think you are right. i also think very similar cake desserts are still available at night in the main dining rooms, that they are charging 4.50 for in the cafe. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, warren buffet said:

i think you are right. i also think very similar cake desserts are still available at night in the main dining rooms, that they are charging 4.50 for in the cafe. 

Somewhere I have photographs of cakes in the buffet.

4 hours ago, brisalta said:

Somewhere I have photographs of cakes in the buffet.

But were those cakes made with the exact same ingredients? They might have looked similar but completely different.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Jeal said:

JimmyVWine - that is exactly how it was! Truthfully, although we like Princess, we will book our next cruise on a different line. For the first time in a long time we did not put a deposit on a future cruise. 

Me too. We canceled our September 23 cruise on Princess and booked one on HAL. Not sure how well we'll like HAL, but we're ready for a change. Especially since there isn't much incentive left in Princess loyalty benefits.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

Me too. We canceled our September 23 cruise on Princess and booked one on HAL. Not sure how well we'll like HAL, but we're ready for a change. Especially since there isn't much incentive left in Princess loyalty benefits.

We're also headed in that direction since most of the Elite incentives that we actually use, are gone. Other than the MT luncheon and early boarding it would be nice to see what HAL or Celebrity has to offer these days.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MissP22 said:

We're also headed in that direction since most of the Elite incentives that we actually use, are gone. Other than the MT luncheon and early boarding it would be nice to see what HAL or Celebrity has to offer these days.

We're Elite after our upcoming cruise.  Can you tell me what MT luncheon is?  Thanks!

18 minutes ago, shirazcruiser said:

We're Elite after our upcoming cruise.  Can you tell me what MT luncheon is?  Thanks!

The most traveled passenger luncheon. 

It's limited to 40 people who have the most days traveled on Princess.