What are the odds NCL reverses course on the new cabin steward policy?

Actually contracting with an embarkation cleaning company ( not always US) is a brilliant but expensive idea.  We got into our room at around 1.30ish. We heard an announcement that we could drop off our carryons went to the room seeing it cleaned ( there was a sign saying so) and stayed. Btw toilet was dirty and used my own Lysol  wipes to clean.  When we left we vacated at 7 am telling the steward we were leaving so he could get an early start. He seemed to hover for a tip but we did not ( usually do) because of the poor almost nonexistent service for the 12 days. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

All these upset people....do they clean their homes twice a day?  I don't. 

It's living in the "old glory days" of cruising....when people had to dress up for dinner etc.  And just going on a cruise was considered a luxury.

I certainly don't clean twice a day (maybe not twice a week!) but that's the point of vacation:  I treat myself better than I do most other weeks of the year.

Especially because I travel in my cabin solo, Haven isn't something I splurge on.  But I upgrade my bar and restaurant packages and if there were a third class of service "in between" for a couple hundred bucks more, I'd probably upgrade to that: think twice daily cleaning/turndown, additional perks similar to Club Balcony, plus preferred this or that.  This model has logistical issues  (how do you do it?  By floor?  By cabin type?) but nothing insurmountable.  And most importantly for NCL, it brings in additional revenue.

Edited by phillygwm

7 hours ago, Waterluv said:

In September on the Bliss we actually watched the video during online check in then it got emailed a few days before, then the day of lol it was also on the TV in the cabin main thing was check in at your muster station, they asked a couple of questions and then checked us off and swiped our cards…all done🤗

Last April we of course had to watch it during online check in but I also was sent about 3 e-mail reminders to watch it again.  Others reported getting 5 more reminder e-mails and like you it was also on the cabin TV's.  

9 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yep.  That darned NCL should have forecast Covid and taken appropriate measures to avoid losses while being out of business for a year or two.

Yeah….the entire cruise industry had no meaningful revenue for a year or more.  Just talked a bit about this when it was announced DelRio was retiring (and Fain at Royal retired).  Juggling financials, appeasing the institutional investors, doing major overhauls of the business plans, planning the shutdown of ALL ships, planning the reapply and restart of all ships, laying off most staff, rehiring start up staff, etc, etc, etc was a monumental task.

For the most part, they did it and are now back.  I applaud them.

Have policies and procedures changed?  Sure.  They had to.  There are things here and there that I noticed.  But overall, I believe there hasn’t been this huge service drop off.

From the financial standpoint, they are generating revenue….a lot of revenue.  And,  they are free cash flow positive.   They are generating more revenue qtr to qtr.  They have more word to do, as do the other cruise lines.

I believe the loan holders they secured knew this would be the long game.  

I’ve jumped in an out of this stock for about a year, mainly for the OBC.  But, I had about a 40% ROI as a result.

They are tweaking operations and processes.  I think that’s obvious.  But, I do believe they will be on better financial footing as a result.

• Like 2

All I can say is I hope it changes back.  The pre-paid gratuities went up, the guest receive less service and the work load went up for all the stewards.  It seems the company gains but everyone else loses.  How long can that go on really.  

I can't help thinking that when stewards come by twice a day they get to keep things in order and cleaner and makes it easier for them in the long run, and well as much more pleasant for the guests.  I don't relish the idea that they may only be by as late as 5pm, each day.  Our cruise is in August hope it is all straightened out by then. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, JCMass. said:

All I can say is I hope it changes back. 

The post-cruise survey is your friend.  It's fine to post it on the internet, but survey feedback is likely more meaningful.  I filled out the survey after my January cruise.  I told them just about everything was fantastic but that the in-person Muster was a muster-cluster-$%#$.  Now it is going away and should be gone by my next cruise.  Y'all can thank the @ChiefMateJRK🤣 (jk)

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

The post-cruise survey is your friend.  It's fine to post it on the internet, but survey feedback is likely more meaningful.  I filled out the survey after my January cruise.  I told them just about everything was fantastic but that the in-person Muster was a muster-cluster-$%#$.  Now it is going away and should be gone by my next cruise.  Y'all can thank the @ChiefMateJRK🤣 (jk)

You'll have to share credit with many of us.  

Of course, the inpersonmuster crowd will claim we've jeopardized the cruising public.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

You'll have to share credit with many of us. 

It was (clearly) a joke as evidenced by the "🤣" and the "(jk)."  No doubt I'm one voice in thousands but every voice counts.  I could wind up dying on my next NCL cruise for the sole reason that I watched a video instead of having "real training."  

But, I highly doubt it.😆

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

It was (clearly) a joke as evidenced by the "🤣" and the "(jk)."  No doubt I'm one voice in thousands but every voice counts.  I could wind up dying on my next NCL cruise for the sole reason that I watched a video instead of having "real training."  

But, I highly doubt it.😆

Very doubtful.  We've been assured that the major value of the inpersonmuster is training the crew, not the passengers.

17 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Very doubtful.  We've been assured that the major value of the inpersonmuster is training the crew, not the passengers.

I actually think that I'll be among the survivors.  The heck with process, I'm jumping on the life boat as soon as the door is open.  Meanwhile, the masses will be packing into some restaurant while the crew barks orders at them.  Again.... (jk)

On 3/23/2023 at 9:19 PM, casofilia said:

conditions their main complaint was that they would lose the ability to go ashore in the afternoon time off.

That in itself is reason for stress. Even cabin attendants need a little time to go ashore, get a way from the grind, reset. 

• Like 3

On 3/25/2023 at 5:11 AM, luv2kroooz said:

One of the most appropriate, careful, prudent measures.....executive compensation during and after Corona. Would not have fully solved the problem, but could have helped. 

Exactly!! It would of shown their customers that they are trying. Not taking those millions of dollars in bonus, would of been a great way to prove that. Instead they took their bonus and we pay for it !!

Edited by Topdog52

Forgot the mention when I complained about skipped day of service and really late cleanings. to the Front Desk they blamed me for keeping my Do not disturb light on. I firmly told her how that was wrong and and an inappropriate response and then she apologized and took a report. Nothing changed  and no trays of cookies or complimentary bottle of wine which was not what I was looking for. They probably would loose money with all the complaints with freebies then they were saving with all the irate people in line with same complaints lol. 

• Like 1

My opinion:  Fine tuning is more likely than reversal. 

Lets say they reduced total cabin attendants on a ship from 100 to 65 with the new policy, and they are getting serious crew complaints and some passenger concerns (be they over lack of second service, time of service, or thoroughness).

Adding back 10 more attendants could provide benefits to crew and passengers at only a moderate cost increase, but still well below the cost of twice a day service.

Don't forget each crew member creates their own load on ship services such as laundry and dining.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FLAHAM said:

Front page article in today’s (Sunday) NY Times:  daily room cleaning in major brand hotels is becoming a thing of the past.

Last November I had a week long business trip where I stayed at a very nice Hilton property. When I checked in on Monday, I was told my room would only be serviced on Wednesday. In the meantime, there would be a place downstairs where I could take my trash and if I needed towels, I could ask at the front desk. I was charged a $25 a day 'resort fee', which I paid on Friday upon check out and was of course reimbursed by my company.

If you watch YouTube, Ben and David posted a video last Thursday from RCL Symphony of the Seas TA. The same complaints on this board about NCL (once a day service, short staffed, reduced food portions/poor quality) are happening on most cruise lines right now. So switching lines isn't going to be your answer unless you go up to the luxury ships and pay top dollar. 

I am currently planning a 10 day International vacation for May and while the airfare, hotel and excursions are comparable to a 10 day cruise, what is really going to up my budget is food and transportation. After this experience, I have a feeling my fall vacation will be back on an NCL cruise ship.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2023 at 9:18 PM, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

Some think it is the cruise line trying to react to the drastic post pandemic staffing shortages they (and many other industries) are experiencing.  Will they change course?  As staffing gets better and if there are enough complaints it probably will.

The biggest complaint I have seen was timing of the service.  Which I will say I would prefer once a day service if it is earlier in the day, not between 3-6pm which I would be complaining about that also since we like to spend time in our cabin mid day. Part of the problem appears to be people whose cabins are trashed on a daily basis making it a very lengthy clean up.  Pick up your own clothes, hang your towels to be used a 2nd time and don't leave food all over.  Yes you pay a ridiculous gratuity per person, but you know that when you book.  

7 hours ago, FLAHAM said:

Front page article in today’s (Sunday) NY Times:  daily room cleaning in major brand hotels is becoming a thing of the past.

i'm surprised they are just getting around to reporting this now. service was curtailed during the pandemic, for obvious reasons, but then the hospitality companies liked what they saw in terms of lower operating costs and reduced staff. this is a forever thing and, frankly,  they never really went back to the old way.

• Like 1