Dining room dress code?

1 minute ago, alfaeric said:

Honestly, if women can wear dresses and bare part of their legs, someone needs to explain to me why the same for men is so very bad.  Same goes for shoes- there's almost no difference in how much of my foot can be seen vs many shoes women wear that are considered dressy.

Feel free to wear a dress.

• Haha 1

On Explorer in October, we told our server we would not be eating in the MDR on formal night because we decided we were doing nothing but shorts & flip flops this cruise.  He looked at us like we were crazy.  “And why would that be unacceptable for dinner? We certainly don’t care”

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SG65CB said:

He won't be denied entry wearing shorts.

True, but that isn't the only measurement of "what's right".  Any man with sense will take some care to make his girlfriend happy, and if she's wearing a ball gown, he should take a hint.  Your opinion and my opinion don't matter to him -- but hers should.  

6 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

And what do you see? One slob with a back pack, no socks and shorts, ten others dressed appropriately. Shorts in MDR are not nearly as common as people post. And two out of eleven with a mask, plus this is a old photo it has been around for a while. Seems to bo the go to photo to make the shorts wearer feel better about their lack of decorum.

Eh, yeah, we've all seen this picture before -- but this particular moment of MDR waiting line history isn't typical.  Another picture taken five minutes later probably would've shown people dressed to the 9s, and the average diner is actually somewhere in between the two.  

6 hours ago, alfaeric said:

... Honestly, if women can wear dresses and bare part of their legs, someone needs to explain to me why the same for men is so very bad.  Same goes for shoes- there's almost no difference in how much of my foot can be seen vs many shoes women wear that are considered dressy ... 

Seriously?  

6 hours ago, alfaeric said:

If Kilts are ok, why are shorts not?  It makes no sense that legs are ok in one way, but so bad in others.

And we have seen kilts.  

Shorts and kilts aren't comparable, and -- sadly -- we don't see nearly enough kilts!  Kilts can be dressed up or dressed down, but when men wear them to formal night, they tend to go all out with the jacket, dress shoes, etc.  

5 hours ago, poocher said:

On Explorer in October, we told our server we would not be eating in the MDR on formal night because we decided we were doing nothing but shorts & flip flops this cruise.  He looked at us like we were crazy.  “And why would that be unacceptable for dinner? We certainly don’t care”

Eh, aren't the crew kinda required to say, "Yes, yes, yes" to anything the customer says?  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

And what do you see? One slob with a back pack, no socks and shorts, ten others dressed appropriately. Shorts in MDR are not nearly as common as people post. And two out of eleven with a mask, plus this is a old photo it has been around for a while. Seems to bo the go to photo to make the shorts wearer feel better about their lack of decorum.

This is RCI.  They are just like Carnival and NCL in which shorts are perfectly fine to wear in the MDR as well as many of the specialty venues on board.  Decorum went out the window many years ago when NCL started the trend and then their competition followed suit.  This is 2023, it's not your fathers cruise experience any more.  Shorts are even being worn on Celebrity and Princess.  If decorum is your best friend, cruise on Cunard.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, alfaeric said:

Honestly, if women can wear dresses and bare part of their legs, someone needs to explain to me why the same for men is so very bad.  Same goes for shoes- there's almost no difference in how much of my foot can be seen vs many shoes women wear that are considered dressy.

As a man, I find women's legs extremely attractive as well as open toed dressy shoes.  

As a man, if you find men's legs "sexy and attractive" and men's bare feed in flip flops "dressy," well good on you.  It is the new millennium after all.  

3 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

As a man, I find women's legs extremely attractive as well as open toed dressy shoes.  

As a man, if you find men's legs "sexy and attractive" and men's bare feed in flip flops "dressy," well good on you.  It is the new millennium after all.  

So because it harms the men's feelings, men should not be able to wear shorts in the MDR?  Seriously?

That's pretty weak.  If women can bare their legs and feet with what they wear, men should be allowed, too.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

True, but that isn't the only measurement of "what's right".  Any man with sense will take some care to make his girlfriend happy, and if she's wearing a ball gown, he should take a hint.  Your opinion and my opinion don't matter to him -- but hers should.  

Eh, yeah, we've all seen this picture before -- but this particular moment of MDR waiting line history isn't typical.  Another picture taken five minutes later probably would've shown people dressed to the 9s, and the average diner is actually somewhere in between the two.  

Seriously?  

Shorts and kilts aren't comparable, and -- sadly -- we don't see nearly enough kilts!  Kilts can be dressed up or dressed down, but when men wear them to formal night, they tend to go all out with the jacket, dress shoes, etc.  

Eh, aren't the crew kinda required to say, "Yes, yes, yes" to anything the customer says?  

Sorry, but the hypocrisy is kind of astounding. 

Bare legs are bare legs, regardless who bares them or how they are bared.  If you allow *some* of the population to do it, you should let all of them do it.  It's really silly to me that we side with letting men admire women's legs and feet, but if you offend the men by showing the exact same features of a man- it's somehow wrong and offensive. 

Basically, reading this thread is just another reason I will wear shorts and sandals to the MDR- so that I can ruin other's vacations because they are focusing on the wrong things.  

I really do find it funny how many people are bothered by seeing men's legs when they want to see women's legs in the exact same manner.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alfaeric said:

Bare legs are bare legs, regardless who bares them or how they are bared.  If you allow *some* of the population to do it, you should let all of them do it.  It's really silly to me that we side with letting men admire women's legs and feet, but if you offend the men by showing the exact same features of a man- it's somehow wrong and offensive. 

Basically, reading this thread is just another reason I will wear shorts and sandals to the MDR- so that I can ruin other's vacations because they are focusing on the wrong things.  

I really do find it funny how many people are bothered by seeing men's legs when they want to see women's legs in the exact same manner.

Not that I disagree with you, but couldn't you use the same argument that women should be allowed to go topless on the pool deck?  😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, alfaeric said:

Also, no tank tops for men, but spaghetti strap tops, or completely off the shoulder for women are perfectly fine. 

3 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Absolutely! Not a problem with MSC or AIDA in Europe - only the US has problems...

My first Royal Cruises in 80s and 90s there was always a few Topless. Not sure when it stopped... Last time I watched people turned away from Main Dining for what they wore was 2017 and was a Formal Nite. 

7 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Not that I disagree with you, but couldn't you use the same argument that women should be allowed to go topless on the pool deck?  😉

LMFAO. Thank you for the laugh.

Their argument is just for arguments sake. I'm so tired of that mentality.

13 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

I don't think any dress code should be based on what you do and don't find sexy.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Any man with sense will take some care to make his girlfriend happy, and if she's wearing a ball gown, he should take a hint.  Your opinion and my opinion don't matter to him -- but hers should.  

and vice-a-versa re women taking care to make their partner happy!

it’s unspoken give & take, along with little acts of kindness toward each other, that add up to a long and happy relationship (and many stress free cruises)

10 hours ago, alfaeric said:

that is quite the novel take on cruise planning

22 hours ago, alfaeric said:

If women can bare their legs and feet with what they wear, men should be allowed, too.  

It's societal.  When I was in the Military we heard the very same complaint about hair.  If women in the Military can have shoulder length hair then men should be allowed to also.  Societal norms dictate differently. 

But you CAN "bare your legs," just like a woman.  Wear a Kilt or a dress.  Women aren't supposed to wear shorts after 6 pm either.  So there you go..... no discrimination.  Doesn't say a man can't wear a cocktail dress, just no shorts......just like women.   😏

13 hours ago, clairebearinaus said:

I don't think any dress code should be based on what you do and don't find sexy.

My comment was sarcasm. 😏

But the dress code isn't based on what anyone finds "sexy," it's based on societal norms.  But, the dress code does NOT restrict men from wearing dresses.  It DOES restrict WOMEN from wearing shorts though.  So it's completely fair...NO ONE is to wear shorts to dinner.  But ANYONE can wear a dress to dinner.  So there you go. 

7 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

NO ONE is to wear shorts to dinner.

Since when?   My DH wore shorts all 12 nights of our B2B last June on the Oasis in the MDR, Chops, 150 Central Park and Giovanni's.  Izod shorts and a collared golf shirt.  No problem whatsoever

• Like 1

8 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

It's societal.  When I was in the Military we heard the very same complaint about hair.  If women in the Military can have shoulder length hair then men should be allowed to also.  Societal norms dictate differently. 

But you CAN "bare your legs," just like a woman.  Wear a Kilt or a dress.  Women aren't supposed to wear shorts after 6 pm either.  So there you go..... no discrimination.  Doesn't say a man can't wear a cocktail dress, just no shorts......just like women.   😏

8 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

But the dress code isn't based on what anyone finds "sexy," it's based on societal norms.  But, the dress code does NOT restrict men from wearing dresses.  It DOES restrict WOMEN from wearing shorts though.  So it's completely fair...NO ONE is to wear shorts to dinner.  But ANYONE can wear a dress to dinner.  So there you go. 

“Societal norms” of the 1950s maybe. 

What “societal norms” cover men wearing a dress?

Women aren’t supposed to wear shorts after 6PM?? Your comments are borderline offensive. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

“Societal norms” of the 1950s maybe. 

What “societal norms” cover men wearing a dress?

Women aren’t supposed to wear shorts after 6PM?? Your comments are borderline offensive. 

Sorry, I was having this discussion on another cruise line's website where wearing shorts by anyone after 6 pm is prohibited.  Just got confused.  I'll shut up now.  😎

Edited by papaflamingo

14 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Since when?   My DH wore shorts all 12 nights of our B2B last June on the Oasis in the MDR, Chops, 150 Central Park and Giovanni's.  Izod shorts and a collared golf shirt.  No problem whatsoever

Yeah..... sorry.... this is also an on going discussion on another cruise line's forum where shorts, jeans, etc. are not allowed after 6 pm.  Just got confused... my bad.... sorry.... obviously my ability to multitask has deteriorated.  I'll shut up now.  😎

1 hour ago, robmtx said:

Sounds like your DD wanted to throw you to the wolves here 😉

Fair, she probably did. Turns out she was just trying to prepare herself for a fight (if necessary) to get him to NOT wear shorts in the dining room.