Dining room dress code?

Please don’t hate on me for asking. DD asked me to ask you guys.

We’ve always been the type to dress up, going so far as DD wearing ball gowns for formal nights. Shorts have always been a no go for us.

her boyfriend says resort casual includes khaki shorts with a polo or button down. 

i know it won’t get him kicked out, but are shorts now acceptable?

54 minutes ago, Candleonwater said:

are shorts now acceptable?

Yes.  

54 minutes ago, Candleonwater said:

her boyfriend says resort casual includes khaki shorts with a polo or button down

He'll still be better dressed than quite a few others.

OP, you'll get a wide variety of responses on this divisive topic. Here's a link to what RCI says, without the spin you'll receive from posters here. "Shorts are welcomed for breakfast and lunch" does not say that they can't be worn at dinner, even if that's the implication, and is not necessarily interpreted in the same manner from ship to ship.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/generic-onboard-dress-code

3 hours ago, Candleonwater said:

We’ve always been the type to dress up, going so far as DD wearing ball gowns for formal nights. Shorts have always been a no go for us.

her boyfriend says resort casual includes khaki shorts with a polo or button down. 

Shorts are fine. You'll see folks dressed in shorts and polos every night, including formal nights. 

Shorts are certainly a "go". Ball gowns not required. 

This is the MDR on Formal Night on the Wonder of the Seas, flagship of the RCCL fleet

image.png.5514531d252ae01626b182120eae9361.png

• Like 2

Sounds like you're going on a cruise with your DD and her boyfriend, correct?  If so, maybe her boyfriend should consider who he's with and do a little more to impress both his girlfriend and her parents.  Of course I'm old fashioned, but I know if I had a daughter and her boyfriend wore shorts on a cruise where we were all dressing up, regardless of the dress code,  I'd be less than impressed.  Just sayin'. 

• Like 8

While people will be wearing shorts in the MDR, they will be the minority.  Yes, you'll see a few people in gym shorts, but they'll mostly be teens.  Most men wear pants /nice jeans and a polo /dress shirt /Hawaiian type shirt.  Most women wear sundresses /casual dresses.  

Has he considered how he will feel in shorts /polo shirt while his girlfriend is in a ball gown?  Has he considered how SHE will feel taking pictures with such a mismatch?  I suspect he will feel uncomfortable once the time arrives.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

While people will be wearing shorts in the MDR, they will be the minority.  Yes, you'll see a few people in gym shorts, but they'll mostly be teens.  Most men wear pants /nice jeans and a polo /dress shirt /Hawaiian type shirt.  Most women wear sundresses /casual dresses.  

Has he considered how he will feel in shorts /polo shirt while his girlfriend is in a ball gown?  Has he considered how SHE will feel taking pictures with such a mismatch?  I suspect he will feel uncomfortable once the time arrives.  

We are on wonder. Last night was “dress your best night“ I saw lots of formal dress, as well as lots of people in shorts. Even saw some folks taking pictures where one is in shorts and a T-shirt, and the other one is in a gown. Looks a little mismatched, but if they’re happy it works for me.  Every clothing mismatched couple was a beautifully dressed woman with a casually  dressed man, never the other way around

I am old-school, and even my casual outfits are smart casual, or even dressier. I understand times have changed but I wear what makes me happy and others do the same. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Candleonwater said:

I haven't packed a pair of long pants in years, no problems in MDR nor specialty restaurants

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SG65CB said:

He won't be denied entry wearing shorts.

Is he dressed properly? Are shorts appropriate for a white tablecloth restaurant? Of course not. 

All depends where you are, in Ohio, maybe not. In Texas, Florida, the Caribbean, much of the American Southwest; pleated shorts and a polo or short sleeve button down are perfectly acceptable.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Sounds like you're going on a cruise with your DD and her boyfriend, correct?  If so, maybe her boyfriend should consider who he's with and do a little more to impress both his girlfriend and her parents.  Of course I'm old fashioned, but I know if I had a daughter and her boyfriend wore shorts on a cruise where we were all dressing up, regardless of the dress code,  I'd be less than impressed.  Just sayin'. 

That's how I feel. I think they've decided he's bringing a nice outfit for dinner (for the night she really dresses up), so that's good.

We have become "old fashioned", and that's okay! I love watching DD dress up, and that she enjoys doing so. She was shocked at the amount of attention she got the first time she wore a ballgown to dinner.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Shorts are fine. You'll see folks dressed in shorts and polos every night, including formal nights. 

Shorts are certainly a "go". Ball gowns not required. 

This is the MDR on Formal Night on the Wonder of the Seas, flagship of the RCCL fleet

image.png.5514531d252ae01626b182120eae9361.png

And what do you see? One slob with a back pack, no socks and shorts, ten others dressed appropriately. Shorts in MDR are not nearly as common as people post. And two out of eleven with a mask, plus this is a old photo it has been around for a while. Seems to bo the go to photo to make the shorts wearer feel better about their lack of decorum.

• Like 1

Just got off a pair of cruises- one on the Allure, one on the Radiance- I wore shorts for dinner a few times in each cruise.  And that would include Costal Kitchen.

Sandals, as well.   

Heck, on many nights I did wear pants, I also wore sandals.

If anyone think's it's inappropriate, it's other guests, not the crew.  And for the other guests, I really don't care what they think of me- if me wearing shorts and sandals to dinner ruins their vacation, that's totally their option.

Honestly, if women can wear dresses and bare part of their legs, someone needs to explain to me why the same for men is so very bad.  Same goes for shoes- there's almost no difference in how much of my foot can be seen vs many shoes women wear that are considered dressy.

Someone wants to dress up, I'm 110% for that, as you always look great.  But we pack for two weeks of cruising, and space is an issue.

• Like 4