Luxury is in the eye of the beholder

CannyScotTor

OK Clay, go get a whole tub of popcorn.

There has been some discussion on the recent tipping thread about what makes a cruise line “luxury “.

So, let’s have some fun with this.

What would make a cruise line be considered “luxury “ to you?

Is it

All inclusive?

Having a butler?

Fabulous food?

Attentive staff?

All you can drink champagne?

Top class shore excursions?

<insert your must have feature here>

Talk among yourselves.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It’s anything that feels that bit more special to ME at that moment in time.  So 1000 answers just from me

PS. After a stressful week luxury today is a Rowie and cup of freshly made bean coffee in bed 

• Like 5

Clean, comfortable, quiet, spaceous, good food and service. 

Friendly atmosphere, no chair hogging  types

Forgot to add, kettle in room, and decent cup of tea availability. (hot water from a coffee machine isn't hot enough) 

Edited by KBs mum
  • Like 1

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1468

Cruise Critic defines as "Contemporary Luxury and the Upscale Cruise Lines"
Major Players: Azamara, Oceania Cruises, Viking Ocean Cruises

Why They Are Luxurious: The cruise industry can't agree on a collective name for these lines that skirt the edges of luxury. They might be referred to as "contemporary luxury," "upscale," "ultra-premium" or "luxury-lite." The lines themselves are quite different from each other, too, but we group them together because they offer a mix of mainstream cruise hallmarks (more a la carte pricing and smaller cabins) and luxurious attractions, such as destination-intensive itineraries with plenty of overnights, intimate and adult-oriented ships and top-notch dining. Typically, pricing is somewhere in between the premium lines, such as Holland America or Celebrity Cruises, and the traditional luxury lines, such as Regent or Silversea (though this varies based on cabin class and itinerary).

• Like 1

Everything is included in the price. Tips, drinks, excursions, restaurants, transfers, laundry, *everything.* 

Adults only. 

Small-ish ship size.

Creative, participatory excursions that run well. Small groups rather than big buses.

Excellent food. Top-tier entertainment.

For what it’s worth, I’m pretty happy with the balance Viking has found. I don’t see it as a luxury line, which is fine — so long as we’re not paying a luxury price.

• Like 4

There’s no good answer to this question.  When we discuss our Viking cruises with others there’s always a mix of responses.  It’s either “much too expensive” or “not fancy enough”.  For us, Viking is a good fit, and since we’ve found them we have no interest in other cruise lines.  

I don’t care that much about all inclusive, just no surprises.  Butler - no.  Great food, attentive staff - check.  A glass of wine at dinner is nice - check.  Included excursions are fine - check.  I expect a bit more from optional excursions but so far have been pretty happy with them.  We’ll stay with Viking for whatever level of “luxury” they provide.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

I can't define it but I know it when I see it....🍸

This exactly.  It's the collective gestalt of the experience that feels...or doesn't feel, luxurious to me and DH.  That same experience may fall well short of luxury to someone else.  Conversely, what may feel luxurious to someone else, may be a disappointment for us.  Also, in all my years of travel, for work or pleasure, land or sea, I've never experienced 100% perfection in a trip...never.  Even for expensive, "luxury" trips, there are usually a few glitches along the way.  Unless major, we try not to let the glitches ruin what otherwise could be an amazing experience.  

So why do I find Viking "luxurious"? As @uktog said, a thousand different reasons which includes for us the quiet, relaxed, subdued environment with relatively few other passengers on board (DH and I try to avoid crowded, touristy places); the ship's understated décor; good-to-excellent food (for our tastes); a glass of wine or pre-dinner cocktail when we want and at a very reasonable price; fantastic service; interesting itineraries; and we just love those "cerebral lectures" on the history and environment of the region. We don't care about the lack of show-style entertainment on board, and don't let the (usually) disappointing quality of the included excursions bother us (we're comfortable arranging private excursions).  But, as I and others have said, that's just us...     

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Twitchly said:

Everything is included in the price. Tips, drinks, excursions, restaurants, transfers, laundry, *everything.* 

Adults only. 

Small-ish ship size.

Creative, participatory excursions that run well. Small groups rather than big buses.

Excellent food. Top-tier entertainment.

For what it’s worth, I’m pretty happy with the balance Viking has found. I don’t see it as a luxury line, which is fine — so long as we’re not paying a luxury price.

I would not say top-tier entertainment.  I would say good entertainment.  I would say top-tier employees.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Moonlion said:

a thousand different reasons which includes for us the quiet, relaxed, subdued environment with relatively few other passengers on board (DH and I try to avoid crowded, touristy places); the ship's understated décor; good-to-excellent food (for our tastes); a glass of wine or pre-dinner cocktail when we want and at a very reasonable price; fantastic service; interesting itineraries; and we just love those "cerebral lectures" on the history and environment of the region. We don't care about the lack of show-style entertainment on board, and don't let the (usually) disappointing quality of the included excursions bother us (we're comfortable arranging private excursions).  But, as I and others have said, that's just us...     

Ditto!

I don't care what the definition of luxury is nor am I looking for such an experience/ambience on a cruise ship. 

Call it what you want, what Moonlion enumerated is exactly what what I'm looking for and I hope that Viking never loses track of the fact that people continue to sail with them because of the values they espouse today.  

• Like 8

Why does this feel like the ultimate goal here is to define what cruise lines are "Luxury" solely to use "I’ve sailed or sail on such and such" for bragging rights.

So often it feels like what is left unspoken is "Sailing on such-and-such such cruise line reminds me so much of our 'by invitation only' country club."

Just my observation...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Haqdeluxe said:

Why does this feel like the ultimate goal here is to define what cruise lines are "Luxury" solely to use "I’ve sailed or sail on such and such" for bragging rights.

So often it feels like what is left unspoken is "Sailing on such-and-such such cruise line reminds me so much of our 'by invitation only' country club."

Just my observation...

I think you have hit the nail on the head. We have been so Madison-Avenue-ized.

3 hours ago, Haqdeluxe said:

Just my observation...

Agreed. I find the need to label Viking and other cruise lines peculiar. Labels for us are meaningless. We initially tried Viking out of curiosity and an interesting itinerary. Whether it was or is not a “luxury” experience never crossed our minds. Our first Viking cruise, we wanted a responsible COVID policy (2021), Promenade Deck, modern ship, interesting itinerary and good food. We just label the experience Viking. Arguing over labels can be exhausting!

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, rbslos18 said:

Agreed. I find the need to label Viking and other cruise lines peculiar. Labels for us are meaningless. We initially tried Viking out of curiosity and an interesting itinerary. Whether it was or is not a “luxury” experience never crossed our minds. Our first Viking cruise, we wanted a responsible COVID policy (2021), Promenade Deck, modern ship, interesting itinerary and good food. We just label the experience Viking. Arguing over labels can be exhausting!

I wrote in an earlier CC thread that labels like “luxury” and “premium” are marketing buzz words. My wife and I prefer to look behind that curtain and judge for ourselves whether we’re getting good value for our money. Viking fits the bill for us in all respects.

• Like 10

I find it rather fascinating that pretty much everything anymore requires a label.  The reality is that rarely does a label perfectly describe anything.  Not to mention, as witnessed by these comments, there is no rigid definition of any label.  Personally, I don't care what the label is for anything if it meets my expectations and standards. 

• Like 3

Have just watched a new Youtube video by Gary Bembridge ,Tips for Travellers where he narrates his recent experiences on Ultra Luxury lines and the issues he encountered which point out that these brands have the same disappointments people are describing here on Viking.

Being taken care of from the moment I step off the plane until I board another plane to go home.  Not having to sweat any details of the trip - just show up, unpack, sit down with my feet up, and let someone else worry about cooking, cleaning, planning and coordinating.  With Viking, I know that's exactly what will happen and I'll be enjoying great food and drink, a relaxed experience when all I have to decide each day is what to wear and where to eat dinner.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Interesting that star ratings for hotels etc are largely based on the available facilities ( such as pool, spa) when nobody so far has mentioned them as a factor. 

Bit of transatlantic trivia. Have stayed in 5* hotels in the US which would not get any star rating in the UK, as there were not complimentary tea and coffee making facilities in the room, this being a requirement for any star rating

Last October we were on an Azamara cruise. I well remember arriving at the airport and not finding the Azamara rep. We walked up and down, eventually a Viking rep pointed out what looked like a small riot going on. Yes it was the Azamara rep struggling to control the group of disgruntled passengers. We were lined up with our luggage and marched for what seemed miles to a bus in an outlying car park. As we trailed along a lady behind me was loudly and repeatedly saying, 'This certainly isn't a luxury cruise company'. We loaded our cases into the bus for the trip to the pier then unloaded them ourselves from the bus. A very bad start.

Contrast with Viking. Our flight was delayed but a Viking rep cheerfully met us and took our cases. We didn't see them again until in our cabin. On departure at Bergen airport as we're were struggling to work out the auto check-in system a little Viking rep bustled up and took over. She expertly checked us and our baggage through several flight changes then put our heavy suitcases on the belt for us.

That, for us, is the Viking difference. We felt very well looked after. Azamara? No thanks. They can't even answer the phone. Viking is a slick operation.

Edited by Nippy Sweetie
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

Last October we were on an Azamara cruise. I well remember arriving at the airport and not finding the Azamara rep. We walked up and down, eventually a Viking rep pointed out what looked like a small riot going on. Yes it was the Azamara rep struggling to control the group of disgruntled passengers. We were lined up with our luggage and marched for what seemed miles to a bus in an outlying car park. As we trailed along a lady behind me was loudly and repeatedly saying, 'This certainly isn't a luxury cruise company'. We loaded our cases into the bus for the trip to the pier then unloaded them ourselves from the bus. A very bad start.

Contrast with Viking. Our flight was delayed but a Viking rep cheerfully met us and took our cases. We didn't see them again until in our cabin. On departure at Bergen airport as we're were struggling to work out the auto check-in system a little Viking rep bustled up and took over. She expertly checked us and our baggage through several flight changes then put our heavy suitcases on the belt for us.

That, for us, is the Viking difference. We felt very well looked after. Azamara? No thanks. They can't even answer the phone. Viking is a slick operation.

Oh dear! I just left the Azamara thread where I have been browsing (along with Oceania) recently. Viking has always been the right amount of luxury for us. It is the only cruise line we have ever sailed.  The only reason I have started to investigate other options is solely to find some different ports of call, particularly in the Mediterranean. Not surprisingly, I have seen some familiar names from our Viking threads showing up there too. 

This is not the first time I have brought this up here at Viking, but I am running out of cruise options of interest that we have not already sailed. At the resumption of cruising right after Covid restrictions eased, Viking did a great job creating new cruises out of Valetta. Since then, with so many different ports in the Mediterranean, the itineraries are all the same ones we have seen for years. I realize there are likely expenses involved in creating new cruises, and minimizing expenses after the Covid era is a reasonable goal. However, at some point I imagine that Viking will be losing perfectly happy customers in pursuit of new sights to see. 

• Like 3

Just now, Nippy Sweetie said:

@lackcreativity would you consider a river cruise for a change? Interesting routes and Viking quality.

Nippy Sweetie,

Thanks for thinking of this. Our first cruise of any kind was a Viking river cruise on the Danube. We enjoyed that so much that we when we learned on that cruise about the not yet sailing Viking Ocean, we decided to give that a try. We actually slightly prefer the ocean cruises, but do have another river cruise scheduled for this June in the south of France. (Hoping that French can get their retirement related issues settled before then!) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Myrtle Ave. Mayhem said:

Royal Viking Line & Norwegian American Line, but that's cruising history. 

Royal Viking Line might be history, but the CEO is still going strong - Torstein Hagen. Had Mr Hagen succeeded with his management buyout of Royal Viking, the current Viking Ocean may have operated since the 1980's, rather than 2015.

• Thanks 1