First Timer needing much help re. English Speaking Excursions (Denmark to Norway)

SSBrickNJ

Hello!

My wife and I are booked on Nieuw Statendam ....a 7 day cruise from Denmark to Norway (August 2nd - Aug. 9th)

Today I logged in and tapped on "Book Excursions" just to see what is available.

I looked at two options on the first location the ship docks at:  OSLO Norway Fri. August 4th

Both of these options stated the excursion would have A DUTCH SPEAKING GUIDE. I thought to myself: "I need guidance. Let me call them."

I called HAL's Excursion Department only to learn that unfortunately they are only available Mon - Fri 7am - 4pm Pacific Time

.....................................................................................................................................since I live in NJ: 10am - 7pm Eastern Time

What are my options for English Speaking Excursions?

What is the smartest way for me to research this on my own?

Sat. August 5th the ship will be docked in Kristiansand Norway

Sun. August 6th Eidfjord Norway

Mon. August 7th Flam Norway

Please help me 🙂

Steve

Edited by SSBrickNJ

Usually there will be a Dutch version and an English version of popular tours especially for European sailings.  Is that what you are seeing.   Definitely take only the English version if you don’t speak Dutch😉

• Thanks 1

For European cruises, specially those out of Amsterdam or Rotterdam, there will always be excursions offered in the Dutch Language.  On others there will be excursions offered in Spanish.  If you only want English language excursions then just select the English language tours and ignore the Dutch or Spanish ones.  Easy way to do it is on the left side of the webpage there are 'filters' and you can select the language required for the tour.  See image below:

Screenshot2023-03-25162355.thumb.jpg.2d70b04ebc92dfd1af1b5d06071199b8.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, VMax1700 said:

For European cruises, specially those out of Amsterdam or Rotterdam, there will always be excursions offered in the Dutch Language.  On others there will be excursions offered in Spanish.  If you only want English language excursions then just select the English language tours and ignore the Dutch or Spanish ones.  Easy way to do it is on the left side of the webpage there are 'filters' and you can select the language required for the tour.  See image below:

Screenshot2023-03-25162355.thumb.jpg.2d70b04ebc92dfd1af1b5d06071199b8.jpg

Thank you! After posting my OP I went back and explore the site and discovered the left column filter. I've checked the English box.

Anyone have any suggestions for English guided excursions on this cruise?

• Like 1

We were on a 51 day bi-lingual English Dutch HAL cruise from Holland to Indonesia and Singapore years ago. Loved traveling with the Dutch, who often also have excellent English skills as well as generally good natured and fun passengers.

The cheese offerings onboard were better than any prior cruise too. So we were told by a Dutch couple across from our dining table that the Dutch hate to fly, so when a cruise leaves from a Holland home port they are very eager to sign up.

When there is a certain percentage of non-English speaking passengers on board they do offer bi-lingual services - announcements and excursions etc - and not just in Dutch, but other languages as well depending upon the passenger base.

We even picked up a few words in Dutch ourselves after hearing the daily announcement sign off ...... "toot zeits" (spelling?? - basically, have a good day.) And on a South American cruise, it was bi-lingual in Spanish - the sign off was always " lavamos su manos" (sp??? - wash your hands!)

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SSBrickNJ said:

Any tips or website links relating to booking NON HAL Excursions.

I am open to arranging an excursion from independent English speaking tour operators.

Are you a member of your roll call? You will probably find some who have booked excursions (or can recommend them.) 

As well, check out the ports section of CC. You may find suggestions/recommendations there too.

L.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, leerathje said:

Are you a member of your roll call? You will probably find some who have booked excursions (or can recommend them.) 

As well, check out the ports section of CC. You may find suggestions/recommendations there too.

L.

Yes but now I can't find my way back there.

I used "Find My Roll Call"

Chose Nieuw Statendam

August 2,2023

Not finding it though 😞

4 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

We were on a 51 day bi-lingual English Dutch HAL cruise from Holland to Indonesia and Singapore years ago. Loved traveling with the Dutch, who often also have excellent English skills as well as generally good natured and fun passengers.

The cheese offerings onboard were better than any prior cruise too. So we were told by a Dutch couple across from our dining table that the Dutch hate to fly, so when a cruise leaves from a Holland home port they are very eager to sign up.

When there is a certain percentage of non-English speaking passengers on board they do offer bi-lingual services - announcements and excursions etc - and not just in Dutch, but other languages as well depending upon the passenger base.

We even picked up a few words in Dutch ourselves after hearing the daily announcement sign off ...... "toot zeits" (spelling?? - basically, have a good day.) And on a South American cruise, it was bi-lingual in Spanish - the sign off was always " lavamos su manos" (sp??? - wash your hands!)

It's: Tot ziens or see you later alligator.

b51ec28c-16c8-4eae-90eb-f5eeadbd24df.jpg.8f95a483aeece5e0c732519abd2f25e6.jpg

• Haha 2

We are on the August 19, 2023 Rotterdam cruise with stops in Oslo and Kristiansand.  I just booked tours for those ports today through Shore Excursions Group.  HAL didn't have an English speaking walking tour for Oslo so I booked Historic Oslo with City Hall with Shore Excursions Group.  I also booked for Kristiansand a tour called Visit Kristiansand.  That tour visits the Vest Agder Cultural Heritage Museum and several other places.  Tour costs seem to be a better value than HAL.  The cancel policy is 14 days before the tour or you can take out the insurance.  We also booked our own tickets for the Flam Railway with Norway's Best.  If you book it direct be sure to book the round trip ticket.