Is this true about Disney tipping.

donaldsc

This is from tipping thread on another board..

"That is great to hear. We (the wife actually) got to know our main dining attendant on a Disney Panama Canal trip a few years back. The wife can end up knowing a persons life story crossing Time Square, just who she is. The attendant was telling DW Disney keeps very close watch on who gets what and pressures the crew to divy up what they get over and above what Disney dings passengers. Of that mandatory tip, Disney took a hefty slice off the top for "handling fee's". I NEVER use the provided enveopes. Always hand to hand along with a personal thank you. I have gotten in the habit of bringing a tube of American Silver Eagles with me on trips. For truly exceptional service I will hand deliver one or a few for service above and beyond. The joy in some of the eye's of receipients is priceless. They get it."

Do the Disney fans on this board know it?

DON

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

This is from tipping thread on another board..

"That is great to hear. We (the wife actually) got to know our main dining attendant on a Disney Panama Canal trip a few years back. The wife can end up knowing a persons life story crossing Time Square, just who she is. The attendant was telling DW Disney keeps very close watch on who gets what and pressures the crew to divy up what they get over and above what Disney dings passengers. Of that mandatory tip, Disney took a hefty slice off the top for "handling fee's". I NEVER use the provided enveopes. Always hand to hand along with a personal thank you. I have gotten in the habit of bringing a tube of American Silver Eagles with me on trips. For truly exceptional service I will hand deliver one or a few for service above and beyond. The joy in some of the eye's of receipients is priceless. They get it."

Do the Disney fans on this board know it?

DON

I've never head/read that DCL takes part of the gratuities. Here's what it says on the DCL website:

It is customary to give gratuities in recognition of exceptional service, which you’ll receive in abundance aboard the ship. We recommend a gratuity amount of $14.50 USD per night, per stateroom Guest, including infants and children.

Pre-Paid Gratuities are distributed to the Crew Members who take care of you in the following roles:

• Dining room server
  • Dining room assistant server
  • Dining room head server
  • Stateroom host

From the DCLblog

• Dining Room Server – $4.75 per person/per day
  • Assistant Dining Room Server – $3.75 per person/per day
  • Dining Room Head Server – $1.25 per person/per day
  • Stateroom Host – $4.75 per person/per day

And, from another source:

3 Nights 4 Nights 5 Nights 6 Nights 7 Nights
Server $14.25 $19 $23.75 $28.50 $33.25
Assistant Server $11.25 $15 $18.75 $22.50 $26.25
Head Server $3.75 $5 $6.25 $7.50 $8.75
Stateroom Host $14.25 $19 $23.75 $28.50 $33.25
Total $43.50 $58 $72.50 $87 $101.50

I'd be wary of any crew member (on any cruise line) that gives me a sob story to (hopefully) increase the tips I give.  I'll also point out, if you leave the auto gratuity in place, even if you don't use the envelopes, the designated receiver will still get it.

Edited by Shmoo here
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

I've never head/read that DCL takes part of the gratuities. Here's what it says on the DCL website:

It is customary to give gratuities in recognition of exceptional service, which you’ll receive in abundance aboard the ship. We recommend a gratuity amount of $14.50 USD per night, per stateroom Guest, including infants and children.

Pre-Paid Gratuities are distributed to the Crew Members who take care of you in the following roles:

• Dining room server
  • Dining room assistant server
  • Dining room head server
  • Stateroom host

From the DCLblog

• Dining Room Server – $4.75 per person/per day
  • Assistant Dining Room Server – $3.75 per person/per day
  • Dining Room Head Server – $1.25 per person/per day
  • Stateroom Host – $4.75 per person/per day

And, from another source:

3 Nights 4 Nights 5 Nights 6 Nights 7 Nights
Server $14.25 $19 $23.75 $28.50 $33.25
Assistant Server $11.25 $15 $18.75 $22.50 $26.25
Head Server $3.75 $5 $6.25 $7.50 $8.75
Stateroom Host $14.25 $19 $23.75 $28.50 $33.25
Total $43.50 $58 $72.50 $87 $101.50

I'd be wary of any crew member (on any cruise line) that gives me a sob story to (hopefully) increase the tips I give.  I'll also point out, if you leave the auto gratuity in place, even if you don't use the envelopes, the designated receiver will still get it.

I am glad to here that.  I sort of doubted what the person said.

DON

On 3/25/2023 at 4:09 PM, Shmoo here said:

This.

Especially if the crew member picks up quickly that someone is like your wife and "gets their whole life story". They are VERY savvy at reading people and - while most are honest people - there are some (especially if they have worked on other lines and tried this) who will give a whole sob story about their family, their home, how they have to split the tips, etc. just to try and get more out of you. And then the odds of them turning in the extra (most lines require the extra given to be turned in until it's verified that the giver left auto tips in place - when it is verified, they get all the extra back; but it it is not and the guest removed the autogratuities, then they will split the cash between those who should have gotten it according to the ratio) are slim even though discovery of failure to do so can result in termination.

And yes...regardless of giving them the envelope or slip, they will get the auto amount as long as it's left on.

If Disney (or any cruise line) were skimming, no one would want to work for them. And in my experience talking with crew on various ships and lines I've sailed, Disney is one of the more desirable lines to work for. I had a server on RCCL who was only on there to get experience so that Disney would consider him. And he's not the only one I've heard say that.

• Like 1