LIVE ? From Edge - Amazon FireStick?

FRMPEI

Just embarked on Edge Today. Has anybody had any success in hooking their Amazon FireStick to their in Suite Tv on Edge not a Solstice class ship?  If so please respond. 

Thanks in Advance,

Kevin Reid

Have not tried on a ship, but will say that depending on your itenerary and what you are trying to watch, you may have some limits due to being international.  (Per experience land based- some things worked, some did not, just licensing in some countries, but then, just watch pick something else).

2 hours ago, r2h2 said:

Hopefully, Jim-Ian chimes in.  He knows how to hook these gadgets up.

Thanks, I have hooked up external devices on Silhouette because they use HDMI as their input source but, Edge uses RJ45 (Ethernet) as input source.

Regards, 

Kevin Reid

I've been able to hook up both FireStick and Roku on al classes of ships -  M - S and E (only Edge).

With all ships the main challenge is to Log onto the ship's wifi using the captive logon portal.   Roku uses a work around where you can connect you phone to the Roku and then use a web site to logon.  Firestick is suppose to open a popup but I've never been able to get it to do so.

The work around is to create a hotspot using your PC or mini router -  

On 3/28/2023 at 4:57 PM, Jim_Iain said:

I've been able to hook up both FireStick and Roku on al classes of ships -  M - S and E (only Edge).

With all ships the main challenge is to Log onto the ship's wifi using the captive logon portal.   Roku uses a work around where you can connect you phone to the Roku and then use a web site to logon.  Firestick is suppose to open a popup but I've never been able to get it to do s

Hi Jim, 

Thanks for reply.  I had no problem getting a popup on my fire stick at the embassy suites in Fort Lauderdale. My question to you is how did you get your firestick or Roku device hooked into HDMI Device on your Edge stateroom tv? I actually searched YouTube and found the remote codes to get to a menu that would take it out of hotel mode but, did want to mess with that. Sticking the firestick in an available HDMI port does nothing until I know how you got tv to switch to this source?  I actually have a similar device you referenced YouTube video.  

As I type this from my new iPad mini from the iLounge store.

regards,

Kevin Reid

• 1 year later...
On 3/28/2023 at 4:57 PM, Jim_Iain said:

With all ships the main challenge is to Log onto the ship's wifi using the captive logon portal.   Roku uses a work around where you can connect you phone to the Roku and then use a web site to logon.  Firestick is suppose to open a popup but I've never been able to get it to do so.

The work around is to create a hotspot using your PC or mini router -  

I am looking at buying the newest Firestick for our upcoming Apex Europe cruise, but am concerned that I won't be able to get the popup. Can you create a hotspot with an ipad and how would I do this?  Thanks for any help!

Edited by shirazcruiser

8 hours ago, shirazcruiser said:

I am looking at buying the newest Firestick for our upcoming Apex Europe cruise, but am concerned that I won't be able to get the popup. Can you create a hotspot with an ipad and how would I do this?  Thanks for any help!

To my knowledge you can not create a hotspot on Apple Product using Wifi.   It is possible with a cellar connection.

If I recall correctly when firing up my Firestick on Apex and Edge  - once I select the Celebrity Wifi -  A popup window appeared for Logon  

If one does  not pop I open the Browser and type

guest.onboardicafe.com    This will then give you the screen you usually see on your phone for Username and Password.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

To my knowledge you can not create a hotspot on Apple Product using Wifi.   It is possible with a cellar connection.

Jim - thank you for always responding to my many questions regarding streaming. FYI:  I asked you last year about using our new Ipads with the USB-C connection and using a generic HDMI adapter...which works in the US, but not on Celebrity or Princess. Our older ipads have the lightning connector which has always worked great with the older Apple HDMI adapter.  I bought the new $69.00 Apple HDMI adapter with the USB-C connector and it worked great last week on our RCCL cruise. Now, DH wants to get the newest Firestick 4K Max with all of our extra channels i.e. HULU, Netflix, Amazon since it says it has a "powerful processor for lightning-fast app starts and fluid navigation" ....plus you can also buy the  "USB power cable" so you don't have to plug the Firestick into a wall outlet since there are so few in a cabin. I feel comfortable buying the Firestick after your response.  Thanks again!