Restaurant Dress code Ruby princess

travelmama06

On 3/29/2023 at 8:49 AM, travelmama06 said:

We are interested in a Panama Canal cruise on the Ruby princess and would like to know their dress code for dining ?!

we usually cruise ncl and prefer casual dining experience !!

any information would be greatly appreciated 🙂

You'll see all different styles. Some nice, some really trashy. Pretty much smart casual will be the norm. Shorts are NOT acceptable in the dining rooms at night(no matter what baloney the down market crowd tells you) For formal night you can all out. You will not be alone, but less do the nines unless you're on Cunard. Nice shirt with or without tie. Nice slacks Docker type is fine & nice shoes. Some with foot issues wear sneakers, but try to wear clean ones.

We do bring a sport coat, but it's mostly not too heavily enforced. I do notice the longer the cruise & the newer the ship pax seem kick it up a bit more.Jeans are ok(we don't) but make sure they are not full of holes like you just came off the oil rig.

On 3/30/2023 at 5:34 PM, wowzz said:

We are cruising on Sky out of Southampton this Saturday. Both my white and black tux are packed and ready to go.

And, judging by the posts on another social media forum, there  is going to be a lot of formal wear. Us Brits like to dress up !

Yes, you do. Some of us Yanks like to as well. Cunard is still our favorite line.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MISTER 67 said:

Country Club casual is the way to go these days, you won’t be turned away, if you show up in a tee shirt and shorts more than likely you will turned away. Of course no one will be offended if you wear a sport coat, suit or a tuxedo but you will probably be in the minority. Personally we liked the days when everyone dressed up but as with everything else we are in a different day and age.

Country Club Casual is Oceania's trademark saying.It's amoung or favorites that & the amazing food.

56 minutes ago, rbtan said:

Country Club Casual is Oceania's trademark saying.It's amoung or favorites that & the amazing food.

First time we heard Country Club Casual was on Renaissance Cruse Line back in 1999. I might be mistaken but doesn’t Oceania own some of the Renaissance ships. It was a great line with great itineraries with 8 brand new ships but didn’t survive the aftermath of 9/11.

Edited by MISTER 67

1 hour ago, katmu said:

My next Princess cruise in February will be my first in Europe.  I’m planning to pack carry-on only.  I’m trying to understand if cruises in Europe do tend to be a bit dressier than those based out of the US.  I’m thinking of wearing wool trousers, a silk blouse and jacket for formal night.  Would that be dressy enough?

Our European cousins do like to dress up more for formal nights and in Europe you should expect to see some put on a real show. As long as you and those with you make the effort to dress up more than you would on non formal nights,  you will not offend anyone.  You don't have to overdo it if that makes you uncomfortable, just take it up a notch for formal nights on European cruises. 

17 hours ago, rbtan said:

Shorts are NOT acceptable in the dining rooms at night(no matter what baloney the down market crowd tells you)

Officially, that statement is correct but from what I've experienced in the last 2 years, Princess is turning a blind eye towards those who like to wear them on casual evenings. Many guys choose to wear them in the DR on Caribbean cruises. 

• Like 4

On 7/3/2023 at 11:40 AM, katmu said:

My next Princess cruise in February will be my first in Europe.  I’m planning to pack carry-on only.  I’m trying to understand if cruises in Europe do tend to be a bit dressier than those based out of the US.  I’m thinking of wearing wool trousers, a silk blouse and jacket for formal night.  Would that be dressy enough?

That would be more than dressy enough.  We cruise Europe almost every year and I would say the British tend to dress up on formal nights to excess.  I just wore a nice short sleeve Tommy Bahama shirt, dress shoes and slacks every formal night and was always welcomed into the dining room with open arms by the Maitre D.  Princess has greatly relaxed their dress code enforcement since we first started sailing with them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Princessfan20 said:

That would be more than dressy enough.  We cruise Europe almost every year and I would say the British tend to dress up on formal nights to excess.  I just wore a nice short sleeve Tommy Bahama shirt, dress shoes and slacks every formal night and was always welcomed into the dining room with open arms by the Maitre D.  Princess has greatly relaxed their dress code enforcement since we first started sailing with them

No idea what you mean by Brits dressing to excess on Formal nights - I have just packed for our next UK cruise and have only packed one tiara (yes seriously). 

Honestly, wear what you are happy with within the minimum dress code, and I guarantee the only person who may remember what you wore with be you and possibly your traveling companion.  Actually I struggle to remember what I wore yesterday.

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

Officially, that statement is correct but from what I've experienced in the last 2 years, Princess is turning a blind eye towards those who like to wear them on casual evenings. Many guys choose to wear them in the DR on Caribbean cruises. 

We dine in Club Class & have not seen them, except for breakfast & lunch.

1 hour ago, rbtan said:

We dine in Club Class & have not seen them, except for breakfast & lunch.

It must be that we dine with the lower class people who prefer to be comfortable. 😆

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, MissP22 said:

It must be that we dine with the lower class people who prefer to be comfortable. 😆

No, you get a reserved area & the food is marginally better, but you do not wait for tables.The desscode is more enforced as there are far less pax to deal with.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rbtan said:

The desscode is more enforced as there are far less pax to deal with.

Now that I can't believe as we eat in the same DR all the time and couldn't see much of a difference on a formal night.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

Now that I can't believe as we eat in the same DR all the time and couldn't see much of a difference on a formal night.

Don't know what to tell you. Pax were better dressed & some were told to leave if they were not dressed better. Not talking Tuxes. Just no shorts or ratty jeans.

• Like 3

We only dine in Reserve Class (Club Class) all the time and the thing we have noticed is that the dress code there is the most relaxed out of all the dining rooms.  

We have seen everything including overalls on formal nights in Reserve Class.  We think they are more lax because people have paid extra, many are in suites and the staff just know the passengers much better so they let things slide.  We were on a cruise a couple of months ago and one passenger was allowed in shorts every time and the Maitre D was always super friendly with him and his wife.

We have never seen anyone asked to leave Reserve Class.  The Dress Code Boogeyman is just another Princess myth as far a Reserve Class is considered.

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PrincessLuver said:

We only dine in Reserve Class (Club Class) all the time and the thing we have noticed is that the dress code there is the most relaxed out of all the dining rooms.  

We have seen everything including overalls on formal nights in Reserve Class.  We think they are more lax because people have paid extra, many are in suites and the staff just know the passengers much better so they let things slide.  We were on a cruise a couple of months ago and one passenger was allowed in shorts every time and the Maitre D was always super friendly with him and his wife.

We have never seen anyone asked to leave Reserve Class.  The Dress Code Boogeyman is just another Princess myth as far a Reserve Class is considered.

This is the Princess we've been enjoying for the longest time although people wearing shorts at dinner is a relatively new thing. 

We're not Club Class people since the special meals to us, don't warrant the extra cost plus our table is always waiting for us when we arrive. Why pay extra for a questionable service? 

Planning / considering booking 10 day to Panama Canal. We book a variety of lines. Live in south Florida so am used to golf shorts or hybrid shorts, and a polo or button up short sleeve. Boat shoes or nice sneakers.

On cruise ship I bring golf pants for a few nights, and shorts for the rest; don't fret, the gym shorts are just for the gym at 8am. I haven't had much of an issue since Covid cruise-era restart and 7 cruises on 6 lines. I know the policies; I've read them all. The only ship that said anything was 1 Holland America ship that said no shorts on gala night; no problem. On a 7 night caribbean cruise I probably wear golf or hybrid shorts 3 or 4 nights. On a 10 night cruise to a hotter climate in Central/South America region, honestly, on casual nights I'm probably going to wear shorts 4 or 5 times. 

Cruise ship dining rooms aren't "all that" and haven't been for years in terms of food or service, and it's not because there's 10 inches of fabric cut from the leg of my trousers. I am fully aware people will be quick to respond that it is forbidden and not allowed, and others will say they see it all the time. My question is; once I walk for 20 seconds into the dining room, one of several onboard, at my dining time that is likely different than yours, and sit down at a table, under a table cloth...why do you care one way or another? Like I said no real issue over the past year and a half on RCL, Disney, Celebrity, Holland America, Virgin Voyages, and MSC.  

If Princess wants to attract multi-generational families, and their money, I think they're just going to have to relax on some of these hot weather cruises and turn a side eye on casual nights like they and their contemporaries have been, or else have complete blanket enforcement 100%, both sexes, all ages, no exceptions. And that's not practical or realistic. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/6/2023 at 4:46 PM, rbtan said:

This was on The Star. The food was basically the worst we had on Princess. I had to pay considerably more by ordering off the Crown menu.This was the main reason we skipped Princess for our last group of cruises & stayed on Oceania. Many of the pax we met on those cruises were past Princess cruisers who were pretty fed up.with the decline in Princess quality.We do have a Cabana Reserve cabin on the new Sun.There is no restaurant for those pax in that level of accomodation.This has been a big complaint from those of us who cruised in Club Class or full suites. We should have better food for the price. This is why lines like Celebrity were just a bit higher up the scale than Princess. Now with Reserve Class & Suites having their own restaurants, I think this will be a game changer for the line(if the food quality is up to it) If it is, Princess will likely be our permanent switch come 2025.

They will always move the goal posts and change what is or is not included. Permanence and loyalty are ridiculous. These are expensive ways to travel/vacation. Pays for whats you want, and continue sleeping around. 

I forgot to mention, one MSC cruise refused entry at lunch time because we had towels with us. Dry towels to go to the pool AFTER lunch. No towels allowed in their dining rooms. 

So I guess they are not going to have Roman Toga night either, which is a shame. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

I forgot to mention, one MSC cruise refused entry at lunch time because we had towels with us. Dry towels to go to the pool AFTER lunch. No towels allowed in their dining rooms. 

So I guess they are not going to have Roman Toga night either, which is a shame. 

We once saw on a Princess cruise that towels were to be left at the DR door and not carried to the table. I'm not certain if they do that any longer since we no longer go to the DR on a sea day for lunch.