Flight time from LHR when disembarking in Southampton

KKB

You won't disembark until around 7. Usual advice is first flight about 12, but need two crucial pieces of information.

i) how are you planning to travel?

ii) ...and most important, what day of the week do you disembark?

Simon

We booked a 1:55pm flight per the cruise line’s recommendation. We also booked a private car to take us back to LHR. More expensive, but I’m not taking any chances for the sake of saving a few bucks. 

Usually disembarkation will be from around 7am unassisted, with regular disembarkation starting from about 7.30.

Cruise lines recommend that you don't use their coach transfer for flights earlier than 12.30.

On a weekend with a private transfer a flight after 11.00 would be fine, but on a weekday traffic will be slower and much more variable so after 12.30 would be more prudent. Expect to pay about £140 for a sedan

Cheapest is by direct National Express coach (£17 per person) but that would need a flight after 1.30 pm. 

Southampton to Heathrow isn't viable by train

JB 🙂   

On 3/29/2023 at 10:19 AM, John Bull said:

Usually disembarkation will be from around 7am unassisted, with regular disembarkation starting from about 7.30.

Cruise lines recommend that you don't use their coach transfer for flights earlier than 12.30.

On a weekend with a private transfer a flight after 11.00 would be fine, but on a weekday traffic will be slower and much more variable so after 12.30 would be more prudent. Expect to pay about £140 for a sedan

Cheapest is by direct National Express coach (£17 per person) but that would need a flight after 1.30 pm. 

Southampton to Heathrow isn't viable by train

JB 🙂   

Have just started looking into cruise out of Southampton then flying to Amsterdam. I see Southampton airport has a couple of flights but LHR has more & they're cheaper. Would you recommend that I do ship transfer to LHR instead of Southampton? (that flight wouls be around 5pm)

Work out the figures regarding cost, but Southampton is a relatively small regional airport and it is a lot less hassle going through there than Heathrow or Gatwick and its only about 20 mins from the port by cab, so a lot less stressful time wise too. If it works for you, nothing to stop you flying from there.

Simon

As Simon suggested, work out the figures.

If your cruise terminal is walkable to Southampton Central station, frequent trains  to Southampton Parkway/Airport take 10 minutes & cost under £5 per person.

Or a taxi from any cruise terminal to the airport will take 20 mins & cost a little over £20.

It's a friendly little single-terminal airport, no long lines, no hassle - certainly a lot easier than LHR

You'll need to check ship's transfer cost to Heathrow - last I heard Princess was very reasonable at about $60 pp, RCI, Celebrity & Cunard over $100 pp.

A pre-booked private transfer will cost upwards of about £140

For any flight from SOU or LHR do run a dummy flight booking to see the total cost including luggage. And flights from Southampton and many from LHR have dynamic pricing, usually it's much cheaper to book early

If costs come out about the same Southampton gives you a more relaxed day, if LHR is cheaper then you'll need to decide if the saving is worthwhile

JB 🙂

On 4/1/2023 at 9:55 AM, John Bull said:

As Simon suggested, work out the figures.

If your cruise terminal is walkable to Southampton Central station, frequent trains  to Southampton Parkway/Airport take 10 minutes & cost under £5 per person.

Or a taxi from any cruise terminal to the airport will take 20 mins & cost a little over £20.

It's a friendly little single-terminal airport, no long lines, no hassle - certainly a lot easier than LHR

You'll need to check ship's transfer cost to Heathrow - last I heard Princess was very reasonable at about $60 pp, RCI, Celebrity & Cunard over $100 pp.

A pre-booked private transfer will cost upwards of about £140

For any flight from SOU or LHR do run a dummy flight booking to see the total cost including luggage. And flights from Southampton and many from LHR have dynamic pricing, usually it's much cheaper to book early

If costs come out about the same Southampton gives you a more relaxed day, if LHR is cheaper then you'll need to decide if the saving is worthwhile

JB 🙂

Hello John Bull, you are always so helpful. If I leave from Southampton airport for Amsterdam  are there tours that will take me to the airport in the afternoon? Internatianalfriends doesn't have anything like that. Also, if I left from LHR what is the earliest time to book flight to AMS. I will be taking national express bus.

2 hours ago, victory2020 said:

Hello John Bull, you are always so helpful. If I leave from Southampton airport for Amsterdam  are there tours that will take me to the airport in the afternoon? Internatianalfriends doesn't have anything like that. Also, if I left from LHR what is the earliest time to book flight to AMS. I will be taking national express bus.

Hi,

Southampton airport is only about 7 miles from the cruise berths, so there are no tour-transfers.

If cruisers are in Southampton for the day their cruise returns I usually  suggest that they stash their bags at a left-luggage in the city centre and check out the city's sights like .......  https://tudorhouseandgarden.com/  ............., https://seacitymuseum.co.uk/  ........... https://www.solentsky.org/exhibitions 

"Oceans" left-luggage facility was best-known and is still quoted on the web but as far as I know it's gone - a victim of the pandemic.  But you can stash luggage at Maynard's News & Food shop, 5 Civic Centre Road SO14 7FJ. It's almost opposite the main entrance to the Civic Centre, less than a two-minute walk to SeaCity Museum. I've just phoned Maynard's to confirm that they still offer the facility, costs £6 per bag all day, no need to book.

If you travel to LHR by Nat Express, the earliest suitable coach is at 9am & arrives Heathrow Central Bus Station (T's 2 & 3) at 11am, a few minutes earlier at t's 5 & 4.

So a flight after 12.30 is do-able, but better to play safe & book for more like 1.30.

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull

56 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Hi,

Southampton airport is only about 7 miles from the cruise berths, so there are no tour-transfers.

If cruisers are in Southampton for the day their cruise returns I usually  suggest that they stash their bags at a left-luggage in the city centre and check out the city's sights like .......  https://tudorhouseandgarden.com/  ............., https://seacitymuseum.co.uk/  ........... https://www.solentsky.org/exhibitions 

"Oceans" left-luggage facility was best-known and is still quoted on the web but as far as I know it's gone - a victim of the pandemic.  But you can stash luggage at Maynard's News & Food shop, 5 Civic Centre Road SO14 7FJ. It's almost opposite the main entrance to the Civic Centre, less than a two-minute walk to SeaCity Museum. I've just phoned Maynard's to confirm that they still offer the facility, costs £6 per bag all day, no need to book.

If you travel to LHR by Nat Express, the earliest suitable coach is at 9am & arrives Heathrow Central Bus Station (T's 2 & 3) at 11am, a few minutes earlier at t's 5 & 4.

So a flight after 12.30 is do-able, but better to play safe & book for more like 1.30.

JB 🙂

Thank you! You are always so helpful & go out of your way to give us the best info!

On 4/1/2023 at 9:18 AM, sddsddean said:

Work out the figures regarding cost, but Southampton is a relatively small regional airport and it is a lot less hassle going through there than Heathrow or Gatwick and its only about 20 mins from the port by cab, so a lot less stressful time wise too. If it works for you, nothing to stop you flying from there.

Simon

So Gatwick is only 20 min from Southampton? I thete public transportation? Or I guess a cab wouldn't cost too much

11 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

So Gatwick is only 20 min from Southampton? I thete public transportation? Or I guess a cab wouldn't cost too much

No, it's Southampton airport that's 20 minutes from Southampton.

Gatwick is a couple of hours - but by direct hourly train from Southampton central right into Gatwick airport.

JB 🙂

'

48 minutes ago, John Bull said:

No, it's Southampton airport that's 20 minutes from Southampton.

Gatwick is a couple of hours - but by direct hourly train from Southampton central right into Gatwick airport.

JB 🙂

Thank you again. I am looking at the nationalexpress website & I can't see any direct busses from LHR & Southampton & vice versa. Is it because I'm traveling on weekend? Sun May 28 & Sat June 3

20 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

'

Thank you again. I am looking at the nationalexpress website & I can't see any direct busses from LHR & Southampton & vice versa. Is it because I'm traveling on weekend? Sun May 28 & Sat June 3

You're somehow mis-reading the website - for instance on sunday 28th May there are direct buses from Heathrow T's 2 & 3 to Southampton coach station, Harbour Parade, at  8.30am, 9.30am, 11am, 12.30 pm etc, slightly different times for T4 & T5.

That website won't recognise mis-spelt places, so double-check

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, John Bull said:

You're somehow mis-reading the website - for instance on sunday 28th May there are direct buses from Heathrow T's 2 & 3 to Southampton coach station, Harbour Parade, at  8.30am, 9.30am, 11am, 12.30 pm etc, slightly different times for T4 & T5.

JB 🙂

I see the 9am on the 3rd but this is what I see for the 28, that can't be right?

20230409_180604.jpg

20230409_180721.jpg

35 minutes ago, John Bull said:

JB 🙂

Ok I'm seeing this now 

20230409_181400.jpg

@victory2020 You need to check which terminal at Heathrow your flight uses. There are three entirely separate National Express stops serving Terminals 2/3, 4 and 5. It’s a vast airport and you can’t just walk between terminals. 

The Southampton coaches stop at Terminals 2/3 and 5, but not 4.

16 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

@victory2020 You need to check which terminal at Heathrow your flight uses. There are three entirely separate National Express stops serving Terminals 2/3, 4 and 5. It’s a vast airport and you can’t just walk between terminals. 

The Southampton coaches stop at Terminals 2/3 and 5, but not 4.

Thanks 

Ahhh - Terminal 4 🙃.

Flights using T4 were handled by other terminals for a year and more while T4 was moth-balled as an economy measure due to suppressed demand for flights as a result of the pandemic.

Consequently no buses were needed for T4.

T4 re-opened only a month or so ago - apologies, it was my assumption that the direct NE service would therefore have returned.

No doubt in due course that direct service will return, but in the meantime the timetable shows a hop between T4 and the direct service from T5.

Depending on timings it would be quicker (and a few pennies cheaper) to use the free inter-terminal transport between T4 and T5 (or between T4 and T2/3, aka "central bus station")

An unwanted complication 😟

JB 🙂

Thankfully most CC users won’t have to suffer the misfortune of experiencing T4 as I don’t think any transatlantic flights use it. It’s mainly Air France, KLM, Qatar and some other Middle Eastern & Asian airlines.

American, Delta & Virgin use T3.

United, JetBlue & Air Canada use T2.

British Airways use T5 & T3.

Edited by gumshoe958

@victory2020 If your AA flight into LHR is on time it’s doable but you haven’t got a lot of wiggle room if it’s late. The big unknown is how long it takes to clear immigration.

If you have a US passport you can use the automatic passport gates which may or may not have a line. If they don’t and you’re a fast walker, you could do plane to bus in less than 30 minutes. 

National Express offer a ‘Change & Go’ add-on for £5 which lets you board any available bus 12 hours either side of the one you booked, which might be worth considering.

As for a 9.20 flight from Southampton, again it’s doable if the ship’s on time, you’re off early by about 7.30 and you have a mobile boarding pass so can go straight to security without queueing for a check-in agent. SOU is a small airport and is fast and easy to navigate.

But again, you’re relying on everything going to plan. Depends on your attitude to risk. 

Edited by gumshoe958

21 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

@victory2020 If your AA flight into LHR is on time it’s doable but you haven’t got a lot of wiggle room if it’s late. The big unknown is how long it takes to clear immigration.

If you have a US passport you can use the automatic passport gates which may or may not have a line. If they don’t and you’re a fast walker, you could do plane to bus in less than 30 minutes. 

National Express offer a ‘Change & Go’ add-on for £5 which lets you board any available bus 12 hours either side of the one you booked, which might be worth considering.

As for a 9.20 flight from Southampton, again it’s doable if the ship’s on time, you’re off early by about 7.30 and you have a mobile boarding pass so can go straight to security without queueing for a check-in agent. SOU is a small airport and is fast and easy to navigate.

But again, you’re relying on everything going to plan. Depends on your attitude to risk. 

That is what I am considering. I would get the 5 pound option for LHR.

My choices for flights are LHR to AMS 12:50, 415. or most expensive 2:45. I would try to make 12:50 using NE bus at 9am but 415 is cheapest & will be no pressure - gives me lots of wiggle room. Southampton flights are 9:20 & 5:20pm They are $180 opposed to $76 - $126 for LHR. I would love to do 5:20 if I could find a group tour around the area but they don't seem to exist

Ok, if you fly British Airways from Heathrow T5 with carry-on only, you need to be at security no less than 35 minutes before departure time. So that’s 12.15pm for the 12.50 flight.

The 9am coach is due in to LHR T5 at 10.45 so you’d have 90 minutes of wiggle room. Perfectly doable I think but YMMV.