Flight time from LHR when disembarking in Southampton

KKB

1 hour ago, gumshoe958 said:

Ok, if you fly British Airways from Heathrow T5 with carry-on only, you need to be at security no less than 35 minutes before departure time. So that’s 12.15pm for the 12.50 flight.

The 9am coach is due in to LHR T5 at 10.45 so you’d have 90 minutes of wiggle room. Perfectly doable I think but YMMV.

I am a fast walker so this is a definite option but since I am on holiday I may do the slow leisurely option & take the cheaper 415, haha. I may just book that & if I get to airport early maybe check if I could do standyby on the 2 earlier flights. Don't know if BA lets you do that. 

I'm thinking if everything goes OK at debarkation I will be able to walk to NE bus station in plenty of time for 9am

Edited by victory2020

2 hours ago, victory2020 said:

I am now seeing 9:20 flight from Southampton airport to Amsterdam. Seems tight in case something goes wrong. Would anyone actually try to attempt this with just carryon?

Not particularly tight 👍.

That's a saturday, right? So no commuter traffic, a taxi from the rank at the cruise terminal will very comfortably get you to Southampton airport in 20 minutes.

I can't find which cruise ship you'll be on, guessing it's Sky Princess or Norwegian Dawn. Princess normally disembark unassisted (haul your bags from your cabin) around 7am and regular disembarkation in tranches from 7.30. Most cruise lines are the same but I don't know about NCL.

Early unassisted disembarkation avoids lines for elevators or in the terminal or for taxis. If the gods are on your side you'll be in a taxi 15 mins after you leave your cabin and at the airport around 7.45..

One of the joys of a small single terminal single storey regional airport like Southampton is no long lines for passports or security, no mazy duty-free or long long walkways to a "Gate 95", A few yards from check-in thro security to the departure lounge, then from there you walk across the apron to the aircraft. Quick & simple.

Check-in for AMS closes 45 mins before flight time, even without using on-line check-in and baggage-drop. (check KLM's cabin bag size)

I've flown from Southampton many times - this isn't an airport where you need to arrive hours before your flight.

Aim to arrive at the airport 75 mins before flight-time, but you'll likely be there before then.

The flight is little more than an hour (though you lose an hour time-zone), and by taking the train from AMS to the city centre you'll be taking a late lunch in a canal-side cafe-bar 🙂

JB 🙂

2 hours ago, John Bull said:

Not particularly tight 👍.

That's a saturday, right? So no commuter traffic, a taxi from the rank at the cruise terminal will very comfortably get you to Southampton airport in 20 minutes.

I can't find which cruise ship you'll be on, guessing it's Sky Princess or Norwegian Dawn. Princess normally disembark unassisted (haul your bags from your cabin) around 7am and regular disembarkation in tranches from 7.30. Most cruise lines are the same but I don't know about NCL.

Early unassisted disembarkation avoids lines for elevators or in the terminal or for taxis. If the gods are on your side you'll be in a taxi 15 mins after you leave your cabin and at the airport around 7.45..

One of the joys of a small single terminal single storey regional airport like Southampton is no long lines for passports or security, no mazy duty-free or long long walkways to a "Gate 95", A few yards from check-in thro security to the departure lounge, then from there you walk across the apron to the aircraft. Quick & simple.

Check-in for AMS closes 45 mins before flight time, even without using on-line check-in and baggage-drop. (check KLM's cabin bag size)

I've flown from Southampton many times - this isn't an airport where you need to arrive hours before your flight.

Aim to arrive at the airport 75 mins before flight-time, but you'll likely be there before then.

The flight is little more than an hour (though you lose an hour time-zone), and by taking the train from AMS to the city centre you'll be taking a late lunch in a canal-side cafe-bar 🙂

JB 🙂

I like your thinking! I'm going on MSC Virtuosa, a cruise line I have never been on which is making me a little nervous also. Good idea to check carryon size. I would rather do this plan but if anything is delayed then next flight not until around  6pm.LHR has more options for unexpected hiccups

10 hours ago, victory2020 said:

... but if anything is delayed then next flight not until around  6pm. LHR has more options for unexpected hiccups

Not really. If you miss your 1250 flight from LHR, the next BA is at 1615, and then 1805 and 1910. And whatever the reason that you're not on the 1250, BA isn't likely to put you onto another airline that day.

5 hours ago, Globaliser said:

Not really. If you miss your 1250 flight from LHR, the next BA is at 1615, and then 1805 and 1910. And whatever the reason that you're not on the 1250, BA isn't likely to put you onto another airline that day.

Hi G.,

The poster was referring to flights from Southampton - only 9.20am and around 6pm.

The flights you listed are the options from LHR, a wider choice than from Southampton.

IMHO there's more chances of a hiccup en-route to LHR than flying from Southampton, and a much later arrival time in AMS.

But it's victory2020's vacation, not mine.  

JB 🙂

3 minutes ago, John Bull said:

The poster was referring to flights from Southampton - only 9.20am and around 6pm.

The flights you listed are the options from LHR, a wider choice than from Southampton.

Yes, I know. And the point is that the impression of there being more backup options at LHR is largely illusory, so far as the OP's date and timings are concerned. The backup flight from SOU arrives at AMS at 1935. The realistic best-case backup flight from LHR arrives at LHR at 1835, only one hour earlier; the other backup arrives after at 2025.

I also made a mistake with the "last" backup flight at 1910. That doesn't exist - it's actually a Gatwick flight.

Again, it really all comes down to the OP’s attitude to risk.

A 9.20 flight from SOU is certainly doable as long as there are no delays disembarking.

And I’d have no qualms at all booking a 12.50 flight from LHR and using NX to get there.

If you’re the type of person who’d spend your entire cruise fretting about whether you’ll make your flight at the end of it, it would probably be wise to book a safer option.

But if you’re a ‘what will be will be, YOLO’ type of person, just go for it - there’s a good chance it’ll be fine and you’ll have more time to enjoy Amsterdam rather than sitting around airports.

On 4/11/2023 at 7:36 AM, John Bull said:

Hi G.,

IMHO there's more chances of a hiccup en-route to LHR than flying from Southampton, and a much later arrival time in AMS.

But it's victory2020's vacation, not mine.  

JB 🙂

On 4/11/2023 at 10:06 AM, gumshoe958 said:

Again, it really all comes down to the OP’s attitude to risk.

A 9.20 flight from SOU is certainly doable as long as there are no delays disembarking.

And I’d have no qualms at all booking a 12.50 flight from LHR and using NX to get there.

If you’re the type of person who’d spend your entire cruise fretting about whether you’ll make your flight at the end of it, it would probably be wise to book a safer option.

But if you’re a ‘what will be will be, YOLO’ type of person, just go for it - there’s a good chance it’ll be fine and you’ll have more time to enjoy Amsterdam rather than sitting around airports.

I'm thinking of possibly taking the later flight from Southampton  with hopes of doing a tour around Southampton area but most seem to end up in London or thereabouts. Do you know of any bus tours around the area - I'm on my own so I don't want to do a private car.

1 hour ago, victory2020 said:

I'm thinking of possibly taking the later flight from Southampton  with hopes of doing a tour around Southampton area but most seem to end up in London or thereabouts. Do you know of any bus tours around the area - I'm on my own so I don't want to do a private car.

Coach tours based in Southampton won't suit your timings - they're geared to locals and depart too early / return too late for you.

This is a Saturday, right?

Free guided walking tours of Southampton

https://visitsouthampton.co.uk/search-results?keywords=walking+tour&section=site

Drop your bags at Maynards News & Food & walk down Above Bar, the main shopping street, to The Bargate.

If you don't fancy any of those walks or they're fully-booked, here's a route to DIY. ....................

A two-mile walking tour of Southampton, taking in such sights as you wish. All pretty level ground, easy steps onto & off of the city wall.

Take a taxi to Maynard's News and Food, opposite the Civic Centre to drop your luggage.

Incorporated in the other side of the Civic Centre Southampton Art Gallery.

Incorporated in the left side of the Civic Centre, Sea City Museum (Majors on Titanic, with dioramas & personal stories)

Walk down Above Bar, the main shopping street, to the Bargate, the medieval main entrance to the original walled city.

This is where Googlemaps' route doesn't understand that you can walk the wall.

At the Bargate take the road to your right, and beyond  Burger King climb the metal stairs which take you onto the city wall.

Stay on the wall as far as it goes, descend the metal stairs and carry on in the same direction outside the wall past the Viking long-ship and the next section of wall.  Go into the old town thro the Westgate, beside the Pig In The Wall.

In front of you is the Duke of Wellington pub (lunch and a pint?)

100 yards up the road from the Duke of Wellington is the Tudor Merchant's House & Gardens (worth 30 - 45 minutes)

Down the path alongside the Duke of Wellington is the Medieval Merchant's House (only open saturdays)

100 yards to the waterfront. Dancing Man micro-brewery and pub in the historic stone Wool Store.

Turn right and walk along Town Quay past the Isle of Wight ferries

God's House Tower houses the archaeology museum.

In 1/2 mile at traffic lights turn left opposite Ocean Village 

In just a few yards Solent Sky aviation museum is on your right at the junction with Albert Road South.

Return to Maynards News & Food to collect your bags, and either hail a taxi or walk down the steep hill to the station for a 10-minute train ride to Southampton Parkway & Airport station.

https://goo.gl/maps/vCu8iHTfYLpx6zfc6

Alternatively take the Red Funnel  car ferry (1 hour) to East Cowes on the Isle of Wight, then any bus 10 mins to Queen Victoria's Osborne House.

Or the Red Jet hi-speed passenger ferry to (west) Cowes, famous yachting and tourist town.

JB 🙂

3 hours ago, John Bull said:

Coach tours based in Southampton won't suit your timings - they're geared to locals and depart too early / return too late for you.

This is a Saturday, right?

Free guided walking tours of Southampton

https://visitsouthampton.co.uk/search-results?keywords=walking+tour&section=site

Drop your bags at Maynards News & Food & walk down Above Bar, the main shopping street, to The Bargate.

If you don't fancy any of those walks or they're fully-booked, here's a route to DIY. ....................

A two-mile walking tour of Southampton, taking in such sights as you wish. All pretty level ground, easy steps onto & off of the city wall.

Take a taxi to Maynard's News and Food, opposite the Civic Centre to drop your luggage.

Incorporated in the other side of the Civic Centre Southampton Art Gallery.

Incorporated in the left side of the Civic Centre, Sea City Museum (Majors on Titanic, with dioramas & personal stories)

Walk down Above Bar, the main shopping street, to the Bargate, the medieval main entrance to the original walled city.

This is where Googlemaps' route doesn't understand that you can walk the wall.

At the Bargate take the road to your right, and beyond  Burger King climb the metal stairs which take you onto the city wall.

Stay on the wall as far as it goes, descend the metal stairs and carry on in the same direction outside the wall past the Viking long-ship and the next section of wall.  Go into the old town thro the Westgate, beside the Pig In The Wall.

In front of you is the Duke of Wellington pub (lunch and a pint?)

100 yards up the road from the Duke of Wellington is the Tudor Merchant's House & Gardens (worth 30 - 45 minutes)

Down the path alongside the Duke of Wellington is the Medieval Merchant's House (only open saturdays)

100 yards to the waterfront. Dancing Man micro-brewery and pub in the historic stone Wool Store.

In just a few yards Solent Sky aviation museum is on your right at the junction with Albert Road South.

Return to Maynards News & Food to collect your bags, and either hail a taxi or walk down the steep hill to the station for a 10-minute train ride to Southampton Parkway & Airport station.

https://goo.gl/maps/vCu8iHTfYLpx6zfc6

Alternatively take the Red Funnel  car ferry (1 hour) to East Cowes on the Isle of Wight, then any bus 10 mins to Queen Victoria's Osborne House.

Or the Red Jet hi-speed passenger ferry to (west) Cowes, famous yachting and tourist town.

JB 🙂

Yes, it's a Saturday. Thank you so much, the walking tour sounds great. I understand that there is a train from city center to airport?

7 hours ago, victory2020 said:

Yes, it's a Saturday. Thank you so much, the walking tour sounds great. I understand that there is a train from city center to airport?

Yes, very frequent trains from Southampton Central to Southampton Airport Parkway. Journey time just over 5 minutes and the airport station is right outside the terminal.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, victory2020 said:

Yes, I mentioned it in my last post. No need to pre-book - average 3 trains per hour, 10 minute ride, under £5.

Your destination is Southampton Parkway Airport. Cross the rails (elevator & bridge) and the airport terminal is in front of you.

JB 🙂

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, John Bull said:

No. No. No

My bad.🙄

Turn left and walk along Town Quay past the Isle of Wight ferries

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...