How nit-picky is the "Smart Casual" dress code on Celebrity?

davidlachnicht

51 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Agree totally. And when do nice jeans become scruffy (in my opinion) rather than designer jeans. Ripped being part of the design. And ladies  are allowed to wear shorts anyway are they not?

I'm not sure what the definition of "designer" jeans is.  I agree that a clean, new looking pair of jeans looks nicer than those with designer holes in them.  I don't think ladies are allowed to wear shorts in the MDR in the evening.  Capris maybe, but I'm pretty sure they say "no shorts" in general  in the evening.

2 hours ago, C4HCG said:

Fair point. My husband will continue to try to sneak in with his tailored shorts which look smarter than his jeans.

Why?   Why try and sneak in?  If a rule is there, why try to break it?  A challenge?

• Thanks 1

On 3/29/2023 at 3:01 PM, jelayne said:

Your friends may have picked the wrong cruise line if they want a very casual, where what you want dining room.

Agree,... X may be have been  a bad choice.  No reason teens can't wear  khakis and a nice polo for dinner in mdr etc, 

If they want shorts, tees and sandals they can go to the buffet....

• Like 4

11 hours ago, AmberCascades said:

It's allowed in the buffet.  Otherwise, maybe a vacation at a beach resort would be better.  Honestly, pants and a polo shirt can't be too difficult for most people to manage, can it?  What do you wear to work?  To a nice restaurant in town?  Dinner with the in-laws?  I have never seen shorts and t-shirts in the MDR in the evening.  I have seen people sent home to change when they arrive for dinner dressed like that.

nope the cruise is for me. so sad to see people away just because a small aspect they dont enjoy. is there anything on the ship you dont enjoy or would rather change maybe you should try a different option. seems petty right? i am not at work i am not in a nice restaurant in town i am not having dinner with any of the family i am on vacation. on vacation again i want to be relaxed. not stressed about making sure i gave my self time to get back and change eat and change again. when i went did i change yes. again i would prefer if they had a section where you didn't have to. the last cruise a week or two ago i was near the back and saw 5-8 different people come in with shorts/tshirts women and men with several of them doing it several times. i had no issue. the 20+ staff they had to walk by to get to the table didnt seem to stop them.

Had this conversation with dining room management on the Eclipse last week.  I inquired why men wearing the same cut off jeans, flip flops and mussel shirts night after night where permitted to enter the main dinning room for dinner.  I was informed that they will not confront a guest re: "attire" any longer. (i.e. turn away)  As much as they wished they could enforce some sort of dress code there hands are tied. 

7 hours ago, 1Virgo said:

Why?   Why try and sneak in?  If a rule is there, why try to break it?  A challenge?

Not at all and I understand fully why this annoys you and many others. We are not trying to be clever, we don’t think we are entitled, and are not generally rule breakers. But coming from the north of England and it’s cold, we only pack summer  clothes that otherwise we rarely use and long trousers are not included. We do use the OVC most nights but will try the MDR at least once and if we get turned away then we have no complaints, such is life.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, hcat said:

Hopefully he will be turned away...shorts are shorts...not for dinner! Go to the buffet..

If he gets turned away we will and happily, we prefer it to the MDR which we only use for a change in scenery, never been overly impressed with it. Hope you are as passionate about all of the other Celebrity rules that are broken on a daily basis that to my mind do have more of an impact on other cruisers, chair hogs for example. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, C4HCG said:

Not at all and I understand fully why this annoys you and many others. We are not trying to be clever, we don’t think we are entitled, and are not generally rule breakers. But coming from the north of England and it’s cold, we only pack summer  clothes that otherwise we rarely use and long trousers are not included. We do use the OVC most nights but will try the MDR at least once and if we get turned away then we have no complaints, such is life.

a pair of long pants doesnt take much room in a bag.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1