Are the restaurants really booked up?

bomabound

I just booked a cruise today that departs in less than 60 days, and the booking included 2 specialty meals.  When I logged in to try to make reservations I found that there is almost nothing left (other than to eat around 9 pm).  Does NCL leave a certain number of spots for walk ups or for people to book once on board, or are they really all reserved?

NCL releases 20% of restaurant bookings in advance and the rest can be booked on the first day of your cruise or throughout the cruise as space allows.  On which ship are you sailing (asking so we can let you know where to go on embarkation day to book specialty dining.)

• Like 1

The above post is correct, there are reservations that are kept back for booking on the day and you should be able to

get what you need as long as you don’t wait too long.

The exact proportion of bookings that are released or held back is not known, as far as I’m aware. I often see specific proportions quoted, and they vary greatly. I suspect that this comes from NCL phone staff just making up numbers. Whether it is 10%, 25% or 50% that are released (or any of the other numbers quoted) it still leaves a lot of availability onboard.

Just don’t wait until the second day or you may find options limited. We do it first thing after boarding and have never had any trouble getting reservations we want.

• Like 1

You can try to use the NCL app from the terminal to make reservations (people have reported that the NCL app works intermittently from the terminal, and others have speculated that it depends on the strength of the NCL wifi if it will work.)  For me personally, the app didn't work in NY terminal and only started working when I stepped onto the ship, where I was able to immediately make the last outstanding reservation I wanted (Ocean Blue) for dinner at 7 on a sea day.  I checked in late, around 130 and still didn't have a problem, but one of the advantages of checking in early is getting more availability for show and dining reservations.  

There is a restaurant reservations desk you can go to, and a restaurant reservations phone line you can call from your room.  If you choose to go to the restaurant during dinner hours to check on reservation status, please be courteous to the people who have reservations and are trying to check in and don't have a long conversation with your family about what reservations you want to make over the next few days.  Allowing people without reservations to tie up the front desk of Teppanyaki for 10 minutes at 6 pm was primarily the fault of the NCL staff, but if you as a customer make the choice to have the check in desk  at the restaurant make you a reservation instead of using the reservations desk, app or phone line, please  step aside and have a discussion with your family over which reservation to book and let the people who have reservations be seated (we had three small kids with us so NCL's decision not to ask them to step aside was a bit frustrating).  

Please note that unlike restaurant reservations, shore excursions are not held back.  There may be cancellations, but as a policy NCL doesn't hold back shore excursions, although you may be able to duplicate NCL tours with private operators for less.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

If you choose to go to the restaurant during dinner hours to check on reservation status, please be courteous to the people who have reservations and are trying to check in and don't have a long conversation with your family about what reservations you want to make over the next few days.  Allowing people without reservations to tie up the front desk of Teppanyaki for 10 minutes at 6 pm was primarily the fault of the NCL staff, but if you as a customer make the choice to have the check in desk  at the restaurant make you a reservation instead of using the reservations desk, app or phone line, please  step aside and have a discussion with your family over which reservation to book and let the people who have reservations be seated (we had three small kids with us so NCL's decision not to ask them to step aside was a bit frustrating).  

That does sound very annoying, but in my experience it is not normal. I don’t recall ever seeing anyone trying to make reservations at the restaurant check in (or if they did then they were directed elsewhere). This isn’t something that I would have a concern about being a regular problem.

• Like 2

what is annoying is that people book multiple places and then later cancel the ones they dont want once they figure out where they actually want to eat that day.  its like they are creating their own version of 'freestyle'.

Yes, as the other poster said, NCL only makes 20% of the available reservations to book online ahead of time. I called NCL about a reservation and the person told me the percentage.

On my last cruise, they had a setup in a comedy club on the first day where you could book dining reservations They had several crew members helping, so the line wasn't long at all - maybe a few people at a time.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BostonGal35 said:

what is annoying is that people book multiple places and then later cancel the ones they dont want once they figure out where they actually want to eat that day.  its like they are creating their own version of 'freestyle'.

THIS!  If you have a small party you could try just walking up to the host station for the restaurant you wish to dine at, at the time you want to go, and there's a possibility someone no-showed and created an opening.

For what it's worth - on my last cruise the solo host was able to get a table for 8-10 people at 6:30 in Moderno, calling on Tues. or Wed. for a Thurs. or Friday meal!  I'm not sure if he just has that pull or if the venue just had that many cancellations.

8 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

NCL releases 20% of restaurant bookings in advance and the rest can be booked on the first day of your cruise or throughout the cruise as space allows.  On which ship are you sailing (asking so we can let you know where to go on embarkation day to book specialty dining.)

I enjoyed reading your recent review to learn more about the Bliss, I got many great tips.  We are on the Bliss April 22 (Alaska.)  My plan is to make our reservations first thing after boarding while my group waits in the Observation Lounge.  Where was the reservation desk on the Bliss on the first day?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Thanks, that makes sense.  On previous cruises we always got into the restaurants with no trouble, but I wondered if things had changed.  We’ll be sure to make reservations as soon as we get on the Ship.  We’re sailing on the Spirit.

When on the Prima we had a later time at a restaurant that did not work for us so we contacted the restaurant directly and asked if the could get us an earlier time.  It took a couple days to get back to us but they were able to move us up.

2 hours ago, fmrlkr said:

I enjoyed reading your recent review to learn more about the Bliss, I got many great tips.  We are on the Bliss April 22 (Alaska.)  My plan is to make our reservations first thing after boarding while my group waits in the Observation Lounge.  Where was the reservation desk on the Bliss on the first day?

Thank you! On the Bliss restaurant reservations are in Teppanyaki.  I recommend going to the Social to make show and comedy reservations first then go across the hall to Teppanyaki to make restaurant reservations.

• Like 1