OCEANIA CRUISES RAISES THE BAR ON ENTERTAINMENT UNVEILING BROADWAY-CALIBER ENTERTAINMENT ABOARD NEWEST SHIP VISTA

RetiredLifer

Just because we’re in the 70’s doesn’t mean that we don’t like a lot of music that our children and grandchildren listen to. We’re not trapped in a time warp. 

Peggy Lee is even before my time….how about some hip hop mixed in?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jayne E said:

Just because we’re in the 70’s doesn’t mean that we don’t like a lot of music that our children and grandchildren listen to. We’re not trapped in a time warp. 

Peggy Lee is even before my time….how about some hip hop mixed in?

Rap and Hip Hop are the two genres that would make me leave the room.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, zalusky said:

Rap and Hip Hop are the two genres that would make me leave the room.

Not all rap and hip hop is "hard core", which you're probably thinking of.  Some songs are lively and have no offensive language.  Need to keep an open mind.  

We did leave the room during the Peggy Lee show.

• Haha 1

Who ever programs the music on the ships need to look at the age of the majority of their passengers. Most of us are true ‘Baby Boomers’, growing up listening to early rock’n’roll through the British Invasion and into the 70’s. Chuck Berry & Elvis to the Beatles & Stones and to Joni Mitchell and the Eagles. We have seen and heard some swing and big band played in Horizons as a pre-dinner show, with a few people dancing and enjoying their music, not for everyone. If rap is wanted maybe they could do something from Hamilton. On our cruise last month on the Riviera during breakfast we heard Led Zeppelin’s Whole Lotta Love, we dropped our forks and started to laugh. Not exactly music to wake up to 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jackdeb said:

Who ever programs the music on the ships need to look at the age of the majority of their passengers. Most of us are true ‘Baby Boomers’, growing up listening to early rock’n’roll through the British Invasion and into the 70’s. Chuck Berry & Elvis to the Beatles & Stones and to Joni Mitchell and the Eagles. We have seen and heard some swing and big band played in Horizons as a pre-dinner show, with a few people dancing and enjoying their music, not for everyone. If rap is wanted maybe they could do something from Hamilton. On our cruise last month on the Riviera during breakfast we heard Led Zeppelin’s Whole Lotta Love, we dropped our forks and started to laugh. Not exactly music to wake up to 

Yes, maybe Hamilton.  Not anything including words that can't be spoken in other contexts.

Although it's a "leisurely" meal, breakfast in the Marina main dining room is always accompanied by classical music. So calm, so peaceful. 

I'd be happy to hear CCR or the Eagles at shows. 

Memo to Miami: the 50s are over.

Edited by tgg
Content
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, tgg said:

I'd be happy to hear CCR or the Eagles at shows. 

Memo to Miami: the 50s are over.

Probably Not! As I posted up thread the median age of passengers on our Sirena cruise in October was 80+. That’s half the passengers! So the 50’s aren’t dead to them. 

However, very few of those upper median age cruisers appeared to stay up until 9:15-9:30 for the shows. Mostly tucked away in bed. So the majority of actual cruisers that were attending the shows were far younger than the median age of the cruisers. Those actually in attendance predominantly did think the 50s dead, thus the negative comments on Peggy Lee and the Brill Bldg are accurate.

To me, the question becomes: should Oceania be developing its shows around those that actually attend and show interest in doing so; or around the demographics of the ship, whether those demographics show up or not?

We attend the shows and would live to hear CCR and the Eagles., but I’m not 80 something . 

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

To me, the question becomes: should Oceania be developing its shows around those that actually attend and show interest in doing so; or around the demographics of the ship, whether those demographics show up or not?

We attend the shows and would live to hear CCR and the Eagles., but I’m not 80 something . 

You are so on point!!   

We usually catch last 15 minutes of show. Seem to get there in time for Singing in the Rain, Les Miz and Phantom....performed every cruise.  Many of the older cruisers that do attend were sleeping.  I guess that's why some have posted they would like the shows held around 5:30 PM before dinner.

The 50's are over....CCR and the Eagles would be great, as would tribute shows of stars of 70's and 80's. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

Probably Not! As I posted up thread the median age of passengers on our Sirena cruise in October was 80+. That’s half the passengers! So the 50’s aren’t dead to them. 

However, very few of those upper median age cruisers appeared to stay up until 9:15-9:30 for the shows. Mostly tucked away in bed. So the majority of actual cruisers that were attending the shows were far younger than the median age of the cruisers. Those actually in attendance predominantly did think the 50s dead, thus the negative comments on Peggy Lee and the Brill Bldg are accurate.

John Fogerty is 77, Paul McCartney is 80, Mick Jagger is 79, Keith Richards is 79, Don Henley is 75, Eric Clapton is 78. I'd hang out with those old guys anytime if they would let me. Believe it or not lots of folks that age love to Rock N Roll. Let's add Brian Wilson, he's 80, I'm sure we could find dozens more. 

Edited by ORV
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jayne E said:

Not all rap and hip hop is "hard core", which you're probably thinking of.  Some songs are lively and have no offensive language.  Need to keep an open mind.  

We did leave the room during the Peggy Lee show.

It's not so much the language.  Much if not most of the time I can't even understand what they are saying.  I don't care if they swear up a storm.  I just can't stand the musical beat to Rap and Hip Hop. 

• Like 1

The issue I always had with hip hop and rap was the tone of the sound. The bass is all wrong, it's very low fi, I don't like the mix. It's sounds like the speakers are busted. But that's just me, I come from a sound mixer background. I'm sure others may not think twice about it. 

Sometimes I like the beat just fine. 

Do those that say the pax are over 80  do you go around & ask people their age?

Looks can be deceiving

I have met some 80 year olds that can  run circles around  me

11 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Do those that say the pax are over 80  do you go around & ask people their age?

Looks can be deceiving

I have met some 80 year olds that can  run circles around  me

For those listening to the OCA at the repeater party, a lot of information is often given out. They don’t always say the same thing at every event but those listening can pick up quite a bit. 

I’ve had people ask, how do know the % of repeaters on the ship?” Well, the OCA said there were X, and elsewhere we were told there are Y cruisers on the ship! 🙄. They also quite of give a detailed breakdown of the % of at least the top 3-4 Nationalities aboard, and sometimes even the breakdown by age. For those listening. I find it interesting, some just go for the free drinks and never quit talking the entire time.

Of course they never comment on how many are 65 that look 85! 😂🥂Or vise versus. 😇

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 2

It's interesting to hear all these comments.  There was a show on Marina called The Brill Factory earlier this year that featured music from the 50's and 60. It seemed to really connect with the audience and their applause was truly genuine.  Just because one doesn't live through an era of the music doesn't mean they don't know it or like it.  And I agree with the comments that we "oldsters" can appreciate/like some of the music that our children and grandchildren like -- but nailing the ones we do like (and avoiding the stuff we don't like) is a tricky issue.  Some of us love certain artists and others can't stand those same artists. O does its best to try to present what they think most of those who attend shows want.  

Even the times of the show are subject to different opinions.  Some people love the fact that the shows have been moved up to 9:15 and others are frustrated because they feel that they have to rush through their dinners if all they've been able to get in specialty restaurants are 7:30 or later.

• Like 1

DoulaAnn;

The issue isn’t the occasional playing of 50s and early 60s music. Absolutely most all of us can enjoy it occasionally. The issue is that is mostly all we get!

Moving up a decade from Peggy Lee or Buddy Holly occasionally to even an Elton John, Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen, Doobie Brothers , or even the Grass Roots on the softer side shouldn’t be psychologically shattering for the oldsters!  How about some Rolling Stones?? Maybe those of us under 75 only represent 1/3rd of the passengers, so I’ll gladly take a third of the music selections!! ! There is a couple of decades, between current selections, they can explore before either hip hop or rap.

• Like 3

Wondering if the music will change on Vista.  If my guess is right and these new ships are being groomed for the next generation of Oceania passengers I think you might see a change. 

We will know soon enough.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DoulaAnn said:

Even the times of the show are subject to different opinions.  Some people love the fact that the shows have been moved up to 9:15 and others are frustrated because they feel that they have to rush through their dinners if all they've been able to get in specialty restaurants are 7:30 or later.

Marina in December shows moved to 9:15 mid cruise  February on Riviera all were back to 9:30.  As food/dining is a highlight of Oceania, one shouldn’t have to rush their dinner with a 7:30 reservation, which is not late.

8 minutes ago, Woofa said:

Wondering if the music will change on Vista.  If my guess is right and these new ships are being groomed for the next generation of Oceania passengers I think you might see a change. 

We will know soon enough.

Are you scheduled on any of the early Vista voyages? I'm interested to hear about the shows, the rooms, the food (especially the new Embers), and everything else.

5 minutes ago, Jayne E said:

Ooo, there's hope yet!  Maybe they heard from those who were showing up at 9:30, having missed 1/3 of the show, because dinner couldn't be fast enough even if they didn't socialize too much.

20 minutes ago, DoulaAnn said:

Are you scheduled on any of the early Vista voyages? I'm interested to hear about the shows, the rooms, the food (especially the new Embers), and everything else.

I am sure  those on the new Vistas  next month will be posting their thoughts & photos 😄

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, DoulaAnn said:

Ooo, there's hope yet!  Maybe they heard from those who were showing up at 9:30, having missed 1/3 of the show, because dinner couldn't be fast enough even if they didn't socialize too much.

Well I guess they cannot please everyone 

It started the shows wee 9:45  people complained it was too late 

Then moved to 9:30  people complained

Now I guess 9:15  is too early/too late

Maybe they will move dinner to 5pm & the shows to 8 pm 🙄

• Haha 1