No teams allowed for trivia on Sunshine

4 hours ago, llachance said:

How can a ship on a stick be so important ....

"A soldier will fight long and hard for a piece of colored ribbon."

- Napoleon

😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Due to limited seating in the trivia venue, my wife and I often offer chairs at our table to other passengers. Inviting them to play along with us is a great way to meet people on the cruise. One cruise, we met two other couples that we would routinely join up with for trivia.  We never won, but it made our cruise a lot more enjoyable. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FSHLOT said:

I always wondered how often they get new questions. Do they change every cruise, or maybe every couple cruises? Either way we always look forward to at least one or two trivia sessions.

They don't usually get new questions. They'll just change out the trivia offered. Instead of Friends trivia, they'll do Jurassic Park trivia. Etc. The Fun Squad determines the trivia offered on each cruise.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mz-s said:

They don't usually get new questions. They'll just change out the trivia offered. Instead of Friends trivia, they'll do Jurassic Park trivia. Etc. The Fun Squad determines the trivia offered on each cruise.

Ok thanks. That makes sense!!

We were playing Beatles trivia on a cruise and my 20 year old son knew all the answers. They did a bonus round and my son got up with the other two people who'd gotten all 20 answers correct, the winner would be the first to answer 3 questions correctly.  I heard someone from another table say that now my son would lose because he'd clearly been cheating (maybe because of his age they didn't think he'd have known all of the answers about the Beatles?).  Well, he was the first to answer all 3 questions correctly, and they were tough questions.  The two older players he was competing against were much kinder about him knowing all the answers than that crabby woman at the other table.

Not everyone who gets all the answers right is cheating.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mz-s said:

I do think they have a long list of questions to pick from in each category, because while I have seem some questions repeated, it has never been all 20 of them.

For example, TV Theme Song trivia.  Most of the times I have played it, the questions were a good mix of songs from all eras and genres.  The last time I played, the Fun Squad member was a 20-something American hipster-type (not that there's anything wrong with that), and most of the theme songs were from cartoons of the late 90's - early 2000's. Hardly anyone over the age of got more than a handful correct.

Edited by staceyglow

On 3/31/2023 at 9:34 AM, llachance said:

How can a ship on a stick be so important - I am platinum, have played trivia many times and never won.  It is for fun - however you get your answers should be your business.

In case of an "Abandon Ship", those trophies get you on the good life boat

• Haha 2

On 3/30/2023 at 1:16 PM, south-carolinagirl said:

Recent change?  Haven't ever experienced this before.  The crew member, I believe her name was Barbara kept saying over and over no talking within your group, everyone had to have their own paper and would publicly scold and call you out if you were talking to your group.  Anyone else ever experience this before?  We really enjoy trivia and usually have a great time, but this time it was really awful.  We are going on Sunshine again in May with son (who really enjoys sea days and trivia) and two of his friends, if this crew member is still there, we are just going to tell her we don't want to win and play the way we always have. 

When we were on the Sunshine in September, a family sitting next to us kept checking their cell phones and feeding the answers to their kid, who astonishingly won. (even though the hoist saw the Father cheating and admonished him to stop, yet let the kid win anyway.)

Maybe enough people got tired of the cheaters and complained enough or just quit attending.

Saw something similar on the Pride in December too.

Edited by bguppies

I have earned six ships on sticks playing trivia, by myself or with my cabinmate. Trivia is my favorite sea day activity.  Last two cruises it hasn't been as much fun playing against big teams and phone cheaters. I would love it if they limited the number of players on a team and outlaw phone useage. 

• Like 1

We always try to win 1 Ship on a stick each cruise we take. (luckily DW is smarter and she cruises way more than I do.)

If we win early on the cruise we just play for fun and let 2nd place get a Ship on a stick. 

Sadly our last few cruises, and even though the Ship on a stick has gotten MUCH cheaper, they seem to rarely give them out anymore, preferiing to give out the medals instead.

Our last cruise on the Pride it was up to the very last event in the main atrium, the final night, a name that song/artist/year contest, that most people thought I had a chance but DW pulled it out. (there was a girl and her Dad that had been killing the music trivia the entire cruise that everybody assumed would win. They were REALLY knowledgeable)

Thankfully DW kept her collection of one from every cruise intact.

Edited by bguppies
  • Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 5:21 PM, Mike45LC said:

If I were a trivia participant, I would tell the cruise staffer who scolds passengers for working as a trivia team to kiss my seating area.  I am the paying passenger, and he//she/it is a lowly staff member.  Let's not forget who is who!

Totally agreed!  And if it's not the staff acting up, it's the lowly deck 1 steerage passengers.  Get back down there and paddle!

• Haha 1

My son and I just got off the Sunshine yesterday.   A man in his early 40s was in charge of all of the trivia games.  I think he was from Chile.  I don't remember his name.   He never said anything about not playing together as a group.  He was very engaging with the players and anyone passing by.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MWJ51102 said:

My son and I just got off the Sunshine yesterday.   A man in his early 40s was in charge of all of the trivia games.  I think he was from Chile.  I don't remember his name.   He never said anything about not playing together as a group.  He was very engaging with the players and anyone passing by.

Miguel maybe? I love him if so. He was the comedy host on Sunshine last year.

We experienced the very same thing on the Sunshine!  We’ve never experienced it before and assumed that the particular crew member was just an anomaly.  Maybe point it out on your survey?

I'm well known for my Potter trivia abilities, but I totally forgot a question regarding the Hogwarts kitchens and had to turn to my Hufflepuff husband for the answer. I would have still won with 19, but I'm glad I had him. It's easy for us to share the medal lol. I'd be bummed if I couldn't pair up with him even on random trivia. We always have fun together.

Also we did the Friends trivia this time and I immediately texted my friend telling her all the questions I missed-she was so disappointed in me. But I wouldn't dare text about that during the game!

Last January, my 16 year old wanted to play the trivia game that is like Trivial Pursuit (can't remember what Carnival called it).  The teams were all big, and then there was the 2 of us.  We are not huge trivia people, it just sounded like fun on a colder at sea day.  We won.  The question it came down to was what is the capitol of the Bahamas... where we had docked the day before... and we were the only team to get it right.  FACE PALM.

We are going on another cruise next week with the whole family, and we are all excited to play trivia again.

On 3/30/2023 at 2:14 PM, Hoosierpop said:

And yes, agree with banning phones. Some team got 19/20 on the strange laws one that was unbelievable for them to have known that many.  The next best was 12 correct. Maybe they played with those exact questions before. 

We just saw this on a one-hit wonders.  They played 5 seconds of Tubthumping by Chumbawumba, but not the version that everyone heard on the radio...so album edit or something (Team next to us called it the "Fan Club B-Side Only remix" as for how obscure it must have been).  And one team got that no problem...one of the guys was a Diamond member, and even the host joked "you must have played this before"