Influencers onboard

zitsky

I just watched part of a YouTube video by some rather annoying guys, recording in one of the Beyond pools.  Do I have to worry about influencers, TikTok stars etc taking over the ship?  I don’t have a problem sharing space but I’m not leaving a space to make it more convenient for them.

• Like 5

I have watched a lot of you tube videos from younger to middle aged TAs talking about the different ships. They have been hugely helpful in our research, between the onboard stuff and excursion stuff. I haven't seen any videos of people doing crazy things for attention, but I guess they are probably out there. 

For our upcoming Canada/New England cruise on HAL, you tube has really bailed us out for planning our stops out and figuring out a new cruise line. I also subscribe to multiple as well.

• Like 8

Are there people on YouTube, TikTok, etc. recording on cruises?  Absolutely.  One I actually follow happened to be on a cruise I was on in November of 2021.  But you probably won't notice most of them unless you end up on a vloggers cruise or press trip.  Most are not obnoxious and try to blend in.  Online content creators have really grown over the last few years.  You likely find them just about anywhere you go even if you don't notice them.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, prmssk said:

Are there people on YouTube, TikTok, etc. recording on cruises?  Absolutely.  One I actually follow happened to be on a cruise I was on in November of 2021.  But you probably won't notice most of them unless you end up on a vloggers cruise or press trip.  Most are not obnoxious and try to blend in.  Online content creators have really grown over the last few years.  You likely find them just about anywhere you go even if you don't notice them.

That’s the point.  I don’t want to notice them! 

I'm not talking about someone who videos their cabin or takes pictures.  Maybe you get lucky and a pool is empty when you want to shoot video.  But taking over a space for their own use is not ok.  Don’t run around the buffet expecting everyone to wait for you.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I just watched part of a YouTube video by some rather annoying guys, recording in one of the Beyond pools.  Do I have to worry about influencers, TikTok stars etc taking over the ship?  I don’t have a problem sharing space but I’m not leaving a space to make it more convenient for them.

No, you do not have to worry

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, zitsky said:

That’s the point.  I don’t want to notice them! 

I'm not talking about someone who videos their cabin or takes pictures.  Maybe you get lucky and a pool is empty when you want to shoot video.  But taking over a space for their own use is not ok.  Don’t run around the buffet expecting everyone to wait for you.

I agree with you.  My point is that most are not like you describe.  I can guess who you are talking about and they are not representative of all of them.  So unless you happen to end up on one of their sailings, you probably won't run into any issues.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Since they don’t want me in their video the usually move far from me 🤣

IMG_2745.gif

• Haha 17

I like my photography, and if I see someone carefully composing a scene I will respect their attention to their shot, I will pause (briefly) so as not to intrude. But owning a video camera or making so-called influence videos doesn’t mean that someone gets to dominate a location. After five seconds, I’ll continue on my way and if that is in their way, so be it.

Stan

• Like 15

38 minutes ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

I like my photography, and if I see someone carefully composing a scene I will respect their attention to their shot, I will pause (briefly) so as not to intrude. But owning a video camera or making so-called influence videos doesn’t mean that someone gets to dominate a location. After five seconds, I’ll continue on my way and if that is in their way, so be it.

Stan

That’s perfectly reasonable.  I’d do the same.  I don’t think anyone should take over a venue open to everyone.

We had a group making a video during their meal at Eden , commissioned by Celebrity. We were sat at the next table and the  constant fawning over each mouthful totally spoilt out meal . The maitre d’ did comp us the meal but I do think we should have been told about it before we were seated so that we could have chosen to eat elsewhere 

• Like 6

I must admit to watching YouTube videos about Celebrity, but I invariably at some point want to stick a fork into my eye just to make them stop.

some I can watch for longer than others but the outcome is always the same

There is one couple that I can't tear my eyes away from the horror, some of their video viewers are clearly getting some sort of kick from the ASMR element of her eating, wereas I just think 'no wonder people are being charged for extra lobster and the buffet has been reduced, what a bloody waste of food'

But as long as weak willed people like me keep on watching, they will keep on being made

• Haha 5

I'm part of a content creator and do this exactly for the reasons mentioned above, sharing what cruise ships have to offer and share our passion of cruising to the community. I can say from experience that we don't try to get in the way of others, unless they seem very receptive to wanting to be filmed and join in the fun. Otherwise, most of the times, we will just try to be as discrete as possible for a not very discrete activity. 

We are also nice people, or at least i hope we come across as that XD. 

I'll be curating content on Beyond in June when i'm on her in the Med. I hope the passengers onboard I bump into won't be annoyed whilst filming and taking pictures 😅 

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, Ethanol95 said:

I'm part of a content creator and do this exactly for the reasons mentioned above, sharing what cruise ships have to offer and share our passion of cruising to the community. I can say from experience that we don't try to get in the way of others, unless they seem very receptive to wanting to be filmed and join in the fun. Otherwise, most of the times, we will just try to be as discrete as possible for a not very discrete activity. 

We are also nice people, or at least i hope we come across as that XD. 

I'll be curating content on Beyond in June when i'm on her in the Med. I hope the passengers onboard I bump into won't be annoyed whilst filming and taking pictures 😅 

What is “curating content”?  You mean taking pictures?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

23 minutes ago, zitsky said:

What is “curating content”?  You mean taking pictures?

In the context of 'media' curating content means gathering stuff from other sources, so I think they might mean creating content, not curating

curate seems to be one of those words that has become fashionable without meaning what some users think it means

Edited by Juni2106
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

It’s a pretentious way of saying he’ll be filming and editing.

didn't have to label me as pretentious.. guess sharing my experiences with you all is not so valuable after all with that kind of attitude!

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Juni2106 said:

typo is another of those aforementioned words, it is short for typing error, not short for using the wrong word

i was thinking of something else when i wrote it, yes its a misunderstanding. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ethanol95 said:

i was thinking of something else when i wrote it, yes its a misunderstanding. 

It's fine, carry on doing what you do, ignore us grumps

as long as you're not all in people's faces or being entitled about it, then it's all good

Edited by Juni2106
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ethanol95 said:

didn't have to label me as pretentious.. guess sharing my experiences with you all is not so valuable after all with that kind of attitude!

Personally, I agree with Mark Twain - “Don't use a five-dollar word when a fifty-cent word will do.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Ethanol95 said:

By sharing your experience do you mean posting the video somewhere or asking people to get out of your way?