On board entertainment

ean1

Due on an Arvia cruise and have looked at the entertainment for week one. Same old Headliners shows from when I was on the Iona. Found them quite boring, rely to much on the technology. Second rate supporting acts on what is fast becoming a second rate cruise company in all aspects. Been a P&O customer for over 20 yrs. This will be my last cruise with them. Sailed with several other cruise companies and will now transfer my custom to one of them.

12 minutes ago, ean1 said:

Due on an Arvia cruise and have looked at the entertainment for week one. Same old Headliners shows from when I was on the Iona. Found them quite boring, rely to much on the technology. Second rate supporting acts on what is fast becoming a second rate cruise company in all aspects. Been a P&O customer for over 20 yrs. This will be my last cruise with them. Sailed with several other cruise companies and will now transfer my custom to one of them.

Welcome to the P&O boards, although you may not be on here long if you are binning them.

What other factors have influenced your decision; surely it can't be the entertainment alone? For us, entertainment doesn't feature very high on our list of what we want from a cruise ship.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TigerB said:

Welcome to the P&O boards, although you may not be on here long if you are binning them.

What other factors have influenced your decision; surely it can't be the entertainment alone? For us, entertainment doesn't feature very high on our list of what we want from a cruise ship.

On the Azura last June, the ship was in a very dirty state. Service was not up to the P&O service we’ve previously had. Quality and choice of meals very limited.

Iona in September. Raised many complaints. Waiters scraping spilt food from the tables to the floor. Formal nights, shown to table by someone wearing P&O polo shirt. Clearing the table whilst others still eating. Bar staff more interested in chatting amongst themselves rather than serving passengers. Lied to by an officer over resolving complaints.  Many more issues which I raised with Paul Ludlow the CEO. He did follow it up and got back to me. I told him, I wasn’t seeking compensation, I just wanted the service one expects. I’ve travelled with Cunard, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean but mainly with P&O who did provide memorable and adventurous cruises.

2 hours ago, ean1 said:

I've sailed with RC twice, Carnival twice and P and O on Azura, Britannia and Arvia

The 14 night Caribbean cruise on Arvia I just did in February was the best cruise I've ever been on

Overall the entertainment choice was incredible with so many venues

The food choice and options more than we've ever had to choose from before

And the price and value for money incredible

But sounds like you've made your mind up you arent going to enjoy your Arvia cruise before you've even been on her?

That's a real shame. But fair enough. It's your cruise and your holiday.

I predict many people would love to swap places with you and would love the Arvia cruise you are about to go on but will fail to enjoy!

(Ps I could pick fault with several things on Arvia including some of the entertainment and shows. However far too many great things I enjoyed on board for me to start picking fault with the few things I didn't enjoy)

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, ean1 said:

Hello and goodbye.🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

20 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I've sailed with RC twice, Carnival twice and P and O on Azura, Britannia and Arvia

The 14 night Caribbean cruise on Arvia I just did in February was the best cruise I've ever been on

Overall the entertainment choice was incredible with so many venues

The food choice and options more than we've ever had to choose from before

And the price and value for money incredible

But sounds like you've made your mind up you arent going to enjoy your Arvia cruise before you've even been on her?

That's a real shame. But fair enough. It's your cruise and your holiday.

I predict many people would love to swap places with you and would love the Arvia cruise you are about to go on but will fail to enjoy!

(Ps I could pick fault with several things on Arvia including some of the entertainment and shows. However far too many great things I enjoyed on board for me to start picking fault with the few things I didn't enjoy)

I am sure I will enjoy the cruise, I have never not enjoyed one. Best cruises  have been on P&O especially the Caribbean Christmas/New Year ones. I do not complain for the sake of it, I hopefully give constructive feedback in the hope of getting the first class experience I have always treasured. But when a senior officer I had a meeting with lied to me and showed no interest then I knew someone who would take it up. I think P&O’s itinerary is very restricted and repetitive. Having travelled the world with the Grey Funnel Line, I know there’s more to see of this wonderful planet.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ean1 said:

I am sure I will enjoy the cruise, I have never not enjoyed one. Best cruises  have been on P&O especially the Caribbean Christmas/New Year ones. I do not complain for the sake of it, I hopefully give constructive feedback in the hope of getting the first class experience I have always treasured. But when a senior officer I had a meeting with lied to me and showed no interest then I knew someone who would take it up. I think P&O’s itinerary is very restricted and repetitive. Having travelled the world with the Grey Funnel Line, I know there’s more to see of this wonderful planet.

I suggest just go and enjoy the parts of Arvia you can enjoy

Avoid the parts you can't. It's a big enough ship to easily avoid places. 

It's also big enough to ensure there will be plenty you don't like. But enjoy the cruise. Dont write it off before you've even been.

And then if you don't like it. Do as you suggest  and take your business somewhere you prefer. 

Right now for my wife and I we love the value Arvia and Iona can deliver us

We've got 7 nights on Iona in the Norwegian Fjords coming up for £500 per person

I can get my moneysworth from the food I eat on board alone!!

Lol

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ean1 said:

We've normally done Xmas and New Year cruises as well. But our kids have grown up now. So now we can cruise for half the expense and avoid the school holidays!

1 hour ago, Dinglebert said:

How do you see the entertainment which is going to be on the ship before you go?

On Azura in February we were able to book before we went. We are on again in a couple of weeks, so far nothing.

12 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

I’m in on Thursday and nothing showing

We are in Malta for a couple of nights from the Tuesday with a board ing time of 11.00am. At least we shouldn't have a problem booking the shows and speciality restaurants.

I was on Iona in February,was very disappointed,they seem to have sacrificed music venues for eating outlets.

The one caberet room the Club was packed every show,,,70/Club totally booked by 13:00 on embarkation day.

Where was the Ballroom dancing? None,,,why not in foyer like Ventura a totally waste of space.

Britannia and Ventura I love the entertainment venues,,,,,,Iona not so much.

Tried all 4 MDR’s and found food and menus far inferior to other P&O ships.

The Olive Grove was good,,Fish &Chips in the Quays good.

But queuing up for 20 min in the late buffet to get a sandwich was a joke.

A few of us complained to the restaurant manager as he walked through,,,,,I agree he said,it’s because there’s only one station open.,,,,,well you are the manager open two,he never did.

Another idea that didn’t work,,,,,ordering drinks via waiter with iPads was a shambles.

Taking orders from those stood at the bar ignoring the room.

The music in the Dome was another idea that doesn’t work,,,the poor girl group may have been good singers,but in the Dome they sounded awful.

I will cruise on P&O again,but it would take a big improvement to get me on Iona again.

I don’t think P& O has yet got the handle on managing such a big ship.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

I was on Iona in February,was very disappointed,they seem to have sacrificed music venues for eating outlets.

The one caberet room the Club was packed every show,,,70/Club totally booked by 13:00 on embarkation day.

Where was the Ballroom dancing? None,,,why not in foyer like Ventura a totally waste of space.

A few of us complained to the restaurant manager as he walked through,,,,,I agree he said,it’s because there’s only one station open.,,,,,well you are the manager open two,he never did.

Another idea that didn’t work,,,,,ordering drinks via waiter with iPads was a shambles.

The music in the Dome was another idea that doesn’t work,,,the poor girl group may have been good singers,but in the Dome they sounded awful.

I will cruise on P&O again,but it would take a big improvement to get me on Iona again.

Well we have just returned from Iona and in general liked the ship and didn't encounter any of the problems you had, in fact the service was very good.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Well we have just returned from Iona and in general liked the ship and didn't encounter any of the problems you had, in fact the service was very good.

We also had no problems on Iona in Feb/March. We didn’t use the app at all. I booked some restaurants online before we sailed and used the MDRs other nights. We just went down when we were ready and never had a problem. We were uncertain about sailing on Iona but had a lovely cruise and going back in July.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

We were also on Iona in February and had a great time. We definitely want to sail on Iona again as there was a lot going on and we really loved The Quays. We also enjoyed the silent discos in the atrium. 

I agree with some of your points. There should definitely be two stations open in the late buffet. I have never ever seen queues like that late at night. It was half term and very busy. I imagine it will be the same in July/August. 

The acoustics were very poor in the Dome - we didn’t understand a word the girl group sang. However, the acrobatic/dance shows there were quite entertaining. 

Service was slow, as you say it’s easier to order at the bar/counter. Apparently they’re fully staffed, but we thought that they needed more staff in places. 

Edited by Ardennais
  • Like 1

I’ve usually enjoyed the entertainment. Not everything hits the spot but there is usually something for everyone. While the P&O Headliners shows are certainly nowhere near West End or Broadway standard, they are good enough for their purposes of entertaining.

• Like 3

Just now, jeanlyon said:

Never need to eat again at that time of night.  Why would you?

I find it dangerous walking through the ship any time of day. You never know when you will walk past food.

And if it's there waiting for you it's very hard to walk past it!!

And the times I walk past it there's rarely any queues at all!

Which doesn't help!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

What time does it actually start?

Hi

It’s open from 23:00 to 01:00.

As a diabetic having eaten at 18:30 I like some carbs before I go to bed,,my wife likes to get a hot chocolate.

I don’t suppose you will ever get to the 00:15 show in the 70/club then.If you could manage to get a slot that is.

Edited by JeanieC,Aston
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

See my post just posted above..

You might not need to but some people do,,,,,

Exactly.

And even for those who don’t need to then why on earth should they not: it’s their holiday!

• Like 5