Unrest in Northern Ireland - Impact on Cruising?

I am not sure of the severity of the unrest in Northern Ireland but I read this headline today: “A rise in nationalist militancy in Northern Ireland prompted the U.K. government to increase the threat of a terrorist attack to "severe" this week.” The British Isle cruising season is still a few months away. I know how news reports can sensationalize for viewership so I am wondering what the truth on the ground is and whether this should be a concern for us cruisers who will be visiting Northern Ireland in the coming months.

Just to put this into context, the threat in Northern Ireland from Northern Ireland related terrorism has been SEVERE since it was first publicly assessed in 2010, except for the last year when it has been SUBSTANTIAL, so this is really just the old status quo.

These levels are a guide for the authorities's protective security stance, and my own assessment (this is an area I have some experience) is that the threat will relate to small scale, targeted attacks between groups and also on specific security targets, such as the shooting of a senior police officer some weeks ago. I do not believe there is a group in Northern Ireland with the will, capacity or capability to mount large attacks against so-called civilian targets. 

6 hours ago, 3Shelaghs said:

Same thing each year prior to the date of the "troubles". No concern for cruisers.

This is demonstrably untrue, I'm afraid, as per my post above! 

In any case, perhaps you are thinking of the 1916 Easter Uprising? 'The Troubles' are often dated from the civil rights marches in Derry/Londonderry in October 1968. 

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

1 hour ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

I do not believe there is a group in Northern Ireland with the will, capacity or capability to mount large attacks against so-called civilian targets. 

I tend to agree. The  dissident groups, including the latest bunch of criminals (the "New IRA") are all thought to be quite small in number and seem to have limited caapcity for large attacks. So, most murders/assaults seem to relate to their criminal gang activities with occasional targeted attacks on police officers (such as the attempted murder of DCI Caldwell in February). I think it would be extremely unlikely (and unlucky) for a visiting tourist to become a victim .

I'd say the same about terrorist attacks in the rest of the UK. Yes, far right terrorists and Islamist ones are a threat but attacks tend to be  of the "lone wolf" variety. In the latter case, lone suicide bombers have been devastating in their attacks but they are, thankfully, few and far between. Which is probably just as well as the Security Service seems to have failed to deal with the Manchester Arena bomber.

Edited by Harters
  • Thanks 1

Reference to the troubles is longstanding reference point for July 12 and the parades. There are always groups of yobs who enjoy this time to cause disruption on small scales. One would be foolish to downsize the possiblity of renewed  hatred or anger in "old IRA style", but yes, people have become more educated. And yes, tourists need have no added fear of travel to Ireland or the UK (Northern Ireland)beyond your standard global cautions. I would worry more about the water, the disasterous NHS, dwindling law enforcement officers, and darn it... the cost of food!!! Sounds like us all.

At the moment the main unrest is from the Protestant/unionist side of affairs as they are rather upset about the Good Friday agreement meaning that they can’t be treated the same as the rest of the UK post-brexit. The “new/real/xyz IRA” are just criminals at this point.

As @3Shelaghs mentioned the period around July 12th is a flashpoint for cross-community tensions. Just avoid anywhere with a parade scheduled and it’s safe enough. 
For the most part they tend to target police/army facilities or members, it’s been a long time since any of their actions have affected civilians.