Need some help deciding...

fabulous50

Hello to all,

In February 07 My Sister (55) My Sister In-Law (34) My Daughters (26 & 30) and My Mother (70 something...who really knows for sure, She looks at least ten years younger) are going on a cruise. Mom doesn't know will be a surprise for her. Here's what we want:

7 day cruise

Eastern Carrib. (but flexible)

Less children and party'ers but...

not old and staunchy

Price is important but not a deal breaker.

cabins...don't know if we should do 3 (two to a room) or 2 (three to a room) or ???? Family Suite?

entertainment

I am the only one that has cruised before with three under my belt...which got tighter after each cruise. Celebrity and RCI

So there you go any suggestions??? I am particularly interested in which Cruiseline you would suggest and ship. also, any interesting itineraries

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

We just finished a 7 day Princess cruise and I was surprised at the number of under 15 year olds there were on board. It used to be that in February many of the youngsters were in school. Nowadays however, many parents don't seem to have much of a problem taking their kids out of school (or they are home-schooling them) to go on a cruise. If you were to consider a 10 day cruise, then the odds of having many youngsters on board decreases.

An eastern itinerary will generally also have fewer children than a western one due to the lack of ports (fewer things for kids to do), so your idea of doing something eastern is good.

I also agree that three cabins would be more practical than two. No one in your group really wants to go climbing into bunks!

Jim

Loved our 2-05-06 Celebrity "Infinity eastern caribbean cruise. We went to Puerto Rico, Antigua and St. Marten's. Just a terrific cruise. It is my favorite line. I think your Mom would love it. Very nice class of people. The Thalassotherapy pool is great. (heated) it is free on Infinity. Not a lot of kids. I didn't see a lot of kids when I went on the Grand Princess in 2004. That was a western caribbean cruise. A very nice all around cruise. I'm doing again in February, 2007. I love NOT having to fly.

Bon Voyage whatever you choose.

Celebrity (Millenium class: Infinity, Constellation. Summit or Millenium)

Eastern Caribbean: St. Thomas, St. Maartan, San Juan

Months to cruise: Jan, Feb, May, Nov or Dec

Cabins: 3 (the cabins are too small for 3 in one cabin unless you can get an aft cabin which has a sofa bed and can be partitioned off from the other beds. You will still have only one bathroom and it could be difficult for three ladies to get ready at the same time.

I have done many Eastern Caribbean cruises on RCL and Celebrity in May and December and the weather is wonderful and the kiddies are in school. This is our favorite time to cruise. Celebrity has a nice group of people, great service, food and amentities.

I enjoy Celebrity and Celebrity usually has fewer children, but I do not believe it meets the "not old and staunchy" requirement. It also tends to be more expensive. RCCL and Princess are in general less formal than Celebrity, but attract more children. Its up to you.

As for 2 versus 3 to a cabin. Go for 2 to a cabin if you can. Its more expensive, but no one gets stuck on a bunk or sofa bed.

My suggestion would be Celebrity or HAL. I have sailed HAL many times, but not Celebrity yet. From others who have sailed both lines, they say they are very similar. HAL also doesn't have many children onboard and we have enjoyed HAL for a number of years. HAL has wonderful service, excellent food (food is IMHO as food is so subjective), but their entertainment needs some improvement, again, IMHO. I still loved all my HAL cruises.

I would suggest 3 cabins on HAL as well.

However, whatever cruise line you choose, you'll have a wonderful time. Good luck.

We are booking a Feb. 07 to eastern right now too (with an older group 40's - 70's).

It was suggusted either:

Celebrity or RCC

We have taken Celeberity before & we loved it!!

We are doing the RCC Jewel of the Seas....we liked the itenery better & was told it was a new ship. Plus we get an extra night for about the same price as Celebrity.

I hope we made the right choice. :)

I am doing a group cruise on the Caribbean Princess in February 2007 we are going to St Thomas., St Marten and Princess cayes with 2 other sea days. (should be a relaxing cruise)

Prices are in the link below.

Archived