Cost to Malecon

mitsugirly

I was thinking I read somewhere awhile back that they have raised the costs of taxi's from the port to the malecon. Can someone verify what the cost is and if it's per person or per cab. 

Do they still run the trolley-like bus they used to have? If so, how much is it?

TIA

1 hour ago, mitsugirly said:

Oh, I guess I should ask...is this regulated? Like we're not going to get into a cab and get to our destination and them tell us a different price right?

I have never seen an official board at Costa Maya probably because destinations are limited. We did get charged slightly more once, a few years back when we went just beyond the malecon but it was agreed in advance. I just assumed that was a different zone and acceptable. I presume there is a taxi union but it has never been clear and years back people used to talk about the “yellow” taxis snd the “white” taxis. Maybe @crewsweeperhas more insight as he knows more locals? I assume you are just going into Mahahual and not an outlying location?

Personally I am very disappointed in business practices there  in general since cruising resumed. I have a very uneasy feeling about monopolies and corruption in the area and we no longer go to town on every visit, as we always used to.

$4pp is already way more than the distance warrants and it is ridiculous to ask $16 each way for a taxi for four to town. We will no longer share a taxi there and continue to pay $8 for two, just as it used to be $8 per taxi. I haven’t heard of anyone having problems beyond that but as always I would check and agree fare before departing and take a photo of taxi number. 

• Like 1

On 4/1/2023 at 7:07 PM, c-leg5 said:

I have never seen an official board at Costa Maya probably because destinations are limited. We did get charged slightly more once, a few years back when we went just beyond the malecon but it was agreed in advance. I just assumed that was a different zone and acceptable. I presume there is a taxi union but it has never been clear and years back people used to talk about the “yellow” taxis snd the “white” taxis. Maybe @crewsweeperhas more insight as he knows more locals? I assume you are just going into Mahahual and not an outlying location?

Personally I am very disappointed in business practices there  in general since cruising resumed. I have a very uneasy feeling about monopolies and corruption in the area and we no longer go to town on every visit, as we always used to.

$4pp is already way more than the distance warrants and it is ridiculous to ask $16 each way for a taxi for four to town. We will no longer share a taxi there and continue to pay $8 for two, just as it used to be $8 per taxi. I haven’t heard of anyone having problems beyond that but as always I would check and agree fare before departing and take a photo of taxi number. 

Yes, we are just going to the Malecon (Blue Reef). We will definitely verify the rate before going. I wonder why the trolley/buses aren't running anymore?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2023 at 8:32 PM, mitsugirly said:

Yes, we are just going to the Malecon (Blue Reef). We will definitely verify the rate before going. I wonder why the trolley/buses aren't running anymore?

I've seen 1 report of the trolley running, and it was a day when only 1 ship was in port.

I have also read a report of a single passenger who was charged $8 for the taxi, not $4, so it may be that there is a minimum. I believe you have 3 people, so shouldn't impact you...

7 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

I've seen 1 report of the trolley running, and it was a day when only 1 ship was in port.

I have also read a report of a single passenger who was charged $8 for the taxi, not $4, so it may be that there is a minimum. I believe you have 3 people, so shouldn't impact you...

You have seen/heard of the trolley running into town after cruising resumed, or are you just talking about the pier trolley? I think @mitsugirly was referring to the one that used to be an alternative to taxis.

I recall it maybe running the first week back and nothing since.

Edited by c-leg5