If Kids Sail Free.. Why did the price go up??

Hi Cruisers,

If a promo of kids sail free is 100% true then why is the price of 2 adults in a cabin less then a cabin with 2 adults and 2 kids?

im not just talking the taxes… the actual price of the first 2 adults in both scenarios is not the same?

Am I missing something??

Should I call RCL customer service and find out? Has anyone on here experienced this pricing arbitrage ??

You must compare not 2 adults versus 2 adults plus 2 kids but 4 adults versus 2 adults and 2 kids.    Different cabin categories.  A cabin that accommodates 2 passengers costs less than one that holds 4 regardless of the ages of the 4 passengers.  Do mock bookings for the exact same cabin number and you’ll see the savings.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, poocher said:

You must compare not 2 adults versus 2 adults plus 2 kids but 4 adults versus 2 adults and 2 kids.    Different cabin categories.  A cabin that accommodates 2 passengers costs less than one that holds 4 regardless of the ages of the 4 passengers.  Do mock bookings for the exact same cabin number and you’ll see the savings.

Great advice!! I didn’t think to compare 4 adults vs 2 adults and 2 kids..

I just wish if the price was $2500 for 2 in a balcony and then you can add 2 ‘free’ kids to the booking and still net to $2500

but I completely agree with these answers.. so thank you friends!!!

Because some of these promotions are bogus. 

Two scenarios that come to mind with Royal based on what I’ve seen in the past:

- A cabin just for 2 may be in one category while a cabin for 4 is classified in a higher category which will have a higher 1st/2nd fare. Literally, the cabins could be identical and right next to each other, but Royal classifies them differently. A sneaky way to generate more revenue from families that must have rooms with a 3rd/4th bed. 

- The kids sail free promotion may have a different code which forces you to pay a higher 1st and 2nd fare in order to take advantage of the 3rd and 4th “free” cruise fare. 

Other cruise lines offer true “kids sail free” promotions without any gimmicks where the 1st/2nd fare doesn’t change, and you’re not forced into a higher category. But I’ve found that Royal is super shady when it comes to this type of promotion. 

Alternatively, price out 2 cabins next to each other with a connecting door. A handful of times (on both Royal and Celebrity) we’ve paid less by booking two double cabins than one quad cabin. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tapi said:

A cabin just for 2 may be in one category while a cabin for 4 is classified in a higher category which will have a higher 1st/2nd fare. Literally, the cabins could be identical and right next to each other, but Royal classifies them differently.

Now, now….the cabins for two are not literally “identical” to nearby cabins in a different category that hold 4.  The cabin only has two beds (convertible to one king); it literally does not have more berths for more passengers.  Sometimes the cabin configuration will not accommodate a sofa bed.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Now, now….the cabins for two are not literally “identical” to nearby cabins in a different category that hold 4.

You’re correct. But the actual size and layout of cabins next to each other may be identical except for bunks that come out of the ceiling or a sofa that converts to a bed. IMHO, no reason for Royal to charge more for the 1st and 2nd guest when the square footage of the two cabins are exactly identical. 

Another thing that I don’t agree with is when Royal charges more if the cabins have a connecting door. Once again, the cabins could have the same exact square footage and layout as cabins without the connecting door.

There’s no denying that this sneaky cabin classification is a way for Royal to make a few extra bucks from families that must either have the bunk beds or the connecting door to accommodate their families. 

If these practices were an industry standard across all cruise lines, I’d accept  that this is just the way it is, but it seems to me that Royal is sneakier than others when it comes to these classifications.

86A5B1F8-CF1E-4B25-947E-FE1D7B54ABC2.jpeg

204D578E-673E-4248-9B9E-E2A40419AEC2.jpeg

Edited by Tapi

19 minutes ago, Tapi said:

You’re correct. But the actual size and layout of cabins next to each other may be identical except for bunks that come out of the ceiling or a sofa that converts to a bed. IMHO, no reason for Royal to charge more for the 1st and 2nd guest when the square footage of the two cabins are exactly identical. 

Another thing that I don’t agree with is when Royal charges more if the cabins have a connecting door. Once again, the cabins could have the same exact square footage and layout as cabins without the connecting door.

There’s no denying that this sneaky cabin classification is a way for Royal to make a few extra bucks from families that must either have the bunk beds or the connecting door to accommodate their families. 

If these practices were an industry standard across all cruise lines, I’d accept  that this is just the way it is, but it seems to me that Royal is sneakier than others when it comes to these classifications.

86A5B1F8-CF1E-4B25-947E-FE1D7B54ABC2.jpeg

204D578E-673E-4248-9B9E-E2A40419AEC2.jpeg

I can understand that you find the pricing frustrating.  Still, since it is literally untrue, do not say the cabins are literally identical because some newbie might foolishly believe you.  Say they are the same size.

Playing devil’s advocate here, as I obviously don’t do the pricing:

If the connecting cabins were the same price, random people might carelessly book one (or both) of the pair, even though they don’t need a connecting cabin.  Later when people who really want connecting cabin, they cannot get them.  Pricing them higher reduces the chance of that.

Similarly with the triple/quad.  If the base price is the same couples might book the triple/quad cabins.  During KSF, couples could even add free kids (who will no show) to grab those cabins if three/four occupant are required to get a cabin location they want.  Then those higher occupancy cabins are not available when parties of three or four try to book.

Every cruiseline seems to have their pricing gimmicks.  I ignore the gimmicks.  If the price is acceptable, I book it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Every cruiseline seems to have their pricing gimmicks.

And that’s the one thing that we can agree on concerning this topic. 😂