Canadian currency in Vancouver

ChanaC

My family and I (from the US) are sailing out of Vancouver in a few weeks, and we are arriving in Vancouver two days ahead of time to explore the city a bit. However, my family and I are having a little debate and I'm hoping to get some input. I've been telling everyone that we should take some Canadian currency with us. I know my bank can transfer currency, which I heard is one of the better places in terms of fees. While we plan to spend money with our credit cards (ones with no foreign transaction fees) I think it is always a good idea to carry some of the local currency with you while you are traveling. Just like the US, I'm sure there are some stores or restaurants (especially small ones) that are cash only. I have also been to places where credit card machines are down or not working and cash is the only option. Plus, we'll want to tip the port baggage handlers the day of the cruise. Also, you never know what emergencies might pop up, and having the local currency just seems like a smart idea. Admittedly, the only time I've spent in Canada is a few hours in Victoria on a previous cruise, so what do I know? The rest of my family say it's not worth it, and that since the US dollar is valued higher than the CAN dollar that if we have to use USD it would be in the vendor or baggage handler's interest to tip them in what we have. I say that must be a huge inconvenience because now we're making them transfer the currency with their own time and money, even if the value works in their favor. And that's assuming they will accept USD at all.

Am I right? Is it a good idea to bring some Canadian cash/coins with us? Or is my family right and that we can get around with just credit cards and American currency?

• Like 1

You could just use an ATM machine either at the airport when you arrive, or one nearby your hotel.  Since you will probably be getting $20C bills, you will have to go to a Tim Hortons and get yourself a coffee to get the $20C broken up.  ;  )

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Like 1

I'm Canadian but travel frequently to the USA, and I feel in Canada we are more inclined to use credit cards/debit cards over cash than most US cities I've been to.  I travel with just a debit card around my own city and have never had an issue.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, rnr4thatsme said:

I'm Canadian but travel frequently to the USA, and I feel in Canada we are more inclined to use credit cards/debit cards over cash than most US cities I've been to.  I travel with just a debit card around my own city and have never had an issue.

Another Canadian here, and this is our experience as well. You can get by here in Canada much easier with plastic than in the US, I use cash perhaps once every few months, if that. Credit cards are used and accepted pretty much everywhere. As to tipping the port employees for "handling" your bags, I wouldn't hesitate to tip them in greenbacks.

Edited by lx200gps
  • Like 2

I think you're largely on point in desiring some Canadian money, though not a lot, and certainly not acquiring cash where you would have to pay fees to do so. Best is having an ATM card where any fees are reimbursed by the issuing bank, and when you get to Vancouver just head to an ATM and withdraw, say, $20. Plastic is used quite frequently throughout Canada. As for tips . . . American dollars are happily accepted (use the present exchange as a guide for tipping the desired amount).

• Like 1

I live in Vancouver and truthfully can't remember the last time I used cash for anything! Baggage handlers will be more than happy to accept your tip in USD (and are actually quite used to doing so). Most places will take USD cash as payment if you are so inclined (but it will be at par and change is given in CAD so you would lose out in the exchange). Use credit card and visit an ATM to withdraw CAD cash if you feel you will need it...

• Like 3

Just returned from yet another store in Vancouver that won't take cash. Yes most stores in tourist areas will take US$ but at a crappy exchange.  Just tip in US bills, baggage people and taxis love it. Be aware if you do get some Canadian money, and not a bad idea, our bills start at $5.  So don't get stuck with $1 and $2 (loonies and twonies) coins, your bank will not want to deal with them when changing back

I'm also in the camp that one can likely get by for a short visit to Vancouver without needing Canadian dollars with a couple of caveats.

After the pandemic, I would say most, if not nearly all businesses take cashless payments.  However, that means credit cards and/or bank cards.  For credit cards, it'll likely be less of a headache with a chip and pin credit card at some businesses.  And I don't think US Bank card will work with the Interac payment system in Canada.  As a possible check, there may be symbols on your bank card indicating what banking network your card works with. 

Where one may run into difficulty without Canadian cash are the odd small retail shop or food business like the odd food truck.  

I would tend to think most people close to the tourist industry would be ok accepting US cash for the odd tip but there's going to be the outliers.  

Another option instead of withdrawing from an ATM is to exchange some cash at a currency exchange which offer good rates.  Two currency exchanges I recommend that are located downtown are Vancouver Bullion and Currency Exchange and Charlie's Currency Exchange.  Charlie's looks a bit sketchy but it's legit.      

Personally, I rarely use cash.  Over the past few months, IIRC, the only time I didn't use a credit card was cash to get my hair cut and Interac to buy banh mi sandwiches, Chinese take out, and Chinese pastries.  

Weirdly enough, the only things I've spent cash on in the last four years are almost exactly the same as @Milhouse - only adding pizza delivery to the list, which I COULD have done with a card but find that if they miss the delivery time window it's a lot easier to not pay than to reclaim prepaid from!

As tourists, given you did say you can get some CAD from your bank at home, I'd be inclined to use that avenue to acquire the smallest bills they can get you - just for the handful of situations to tip (NB: at the pier there are signs about not tipping - there really is no need whatsoever to tip the longshoremen, and unless you're in The 1% odds are decent that the guy handling your bags earns more than you do...) and maybe grab a bottle of water while you're out and about. I think there are actually more 'no cash' places than 'cash only' these days...

Currently on the train from Vancouver for a weekend girls trip. We didn't touch a single piece of Canadian currency the entire time. In fact, I barely used my card as every store  accepted Apple Pay. We did a private wine tour and at the end we were going to go to the ATM for his tip, but he said we had US dollars he was happy for that given the exchange rate. I don't think there was one shop or bar that didn't take cards. 

• Like 1

We just returned from a week in Victoria, Canada.  I also wondered if I should get some Canadian dollars.  In the end, I never got or needed Canadian dollars.  Everything paid for with cards.  Even small purchases like parking, convivence store, fast food all accepted cards.

The other thing to think about is afterwards.  You can exchange the bills back to US currency.  Banks do not exchange coins, so you could potentially end up with some $1s (loonies) or $2s (toonies). 

When shopping I just put my change into a coin purse and every once in a while clean it out to find $20-$25 in loonies and toonies.   🙂

Enjoy Vancouver.

K2

• 2 weeks later...

My two loonies.  I’m a flight attendant who travels internationally andI have a 5 zippered pouch that has currency of different countries.  You don’t need a lot of local currency, especially in a place like Canada, but some is good.  If what you want cash for is just tipping, I think 90% of Canadian service workers would be fine with receiving US dollars.  Most people in Vancouver visit the states at least once every 2 years or so, or at least my Canadian family does.

We cruised out of Vancouver a few years ago on a wonderful Princess California Coastal cruise.  It was the first cruise for that season out of Canada Place and it brings back happy memories.  We nicknamed it the "prairie province grandparents cruise" because we were one of the few groups of Americans on the cruise, we were much younger than most on the cruise, we had our 22 month old daughter with us, who attracted a lot of attention from other passengers, again mostly Canadian grandparents from Saskatchewan and Alberta.  That said...

We drove to Vancouver, stayed at a hotel out by the airport that had a park and fly/cruise package, and we didn't bring any CA$ with us.  We stayed a couple of days in Vancouver prior to the cruise so my wife could explore and get her Canada fix, and we exchanged CA$ at the hotel front desk when we felt we needed them.  The exchange rate was like a flat 27% both directions, so it didn't follow the daily spot rate, but it was well within the acceptable range for exchange.  We used very little cash in Vancouver.  I think we mostly used coin to pay parking meters, but there were no issues using Visa or MC anyplace.  Canada is a chip and pin country, where even when you use credit cards their systems are set up to use chip and pin to verify the user and legitimacy of the transaction.  Credit card processing in the U.S., even though we have adopted chip cards, doesn't use pin numbers to verify transactions, it is still signature collection, or no verification at all.  Canadian merchants will often be caught off guard when you use your card and their terminal doesn't ask for a PIN and also starts spitting out signature receipts.  They immediately know you are not from around those parts.

I'd recommend ensuring that you have a credit card that doesn't charge service fees for using the card in a foreign country.  Your card issuer will also adjust foreign transaction when they settles based upon the daily spot exchange rate along with a built in padding by the card issuer for doing the exchange.  Because CA$ is weaker than US$, everything will settle at a lower price than what is on your receipt.

We kept our Canadian funds until the end of the cruise and we exchanged it back to US at the hotel when we picked up our car.

So, what I'd say is that you can get along with your regular credit cards (with the issuers notified of your travel plans ahead of time), plus some US cash, but you should be able to exchange your US for Canadian at a hotel front desk for any incidental needs.

Thanks everyone! I have credit cards that have the chip (no pin associated with it), but they also all have contactless chips. Do retailers in Canada do contactless, and if so do those also require a pin? What about just swiping your card? 

57 minutes ago, ChanaC said:

Thanks everyone! I have credit cards that have the chip (no pin associated with it), but they also all have contactless chips. Do retailers in Canada do contactless, and if so do those also require a pin? What about just swiping your card? 

They do do contactless (or Apple Pay). If you've been to Europe, everything is paid for via the handheld terminals. For contactless/Apple Pay it never asked me for my pin.  

On 4/18/2023 at 8:13 PM, ChanaC said:

I imagine it depends on the capability of your credit card(s). My Visa card here in Canada is very rarely ever even inserted into a terminal, I just tap it on the external sensor and the transaction is approved. I can't remember the last time I had to type in a PIN. Many restaurants up here have moved to a terminal that takes a tap, no inserting, then gives the holder further options for tip, etc. Again, no PIN is entered.

• Like 1

Going to the Christmas Market in Quebec City this December for four nights and will get some small amounts of CAD from my bank...no fees for me. I always prefer to have some local $$'s.