Edge - Condition of Sky Suites and Retreat Lounge/Retreat Pool

JDPCruisers

Will be boarding April 7 and have read different reviews about the condition in some cabins but don't recall any about Sky Suites or the Retreat Lounge and Retreat Pool. Anyone currently on or recently on that can provide their experiences?

Much appreciated it!

7 minutes ago, dcbiker97 said:

It’s a pretty new ship. Can you provide examples of what you’re talking about?

Just general condition of some of the non-Retreat cabins looking a bit worn. So, was wondering about Retreat cabins and Lounge if any issues.

3 hours ago, JDPCruisers said:

Will be boarding April 7 and have read different reviews about the condition in some cabins but don't recall any about Sky Suites or the Retreat Lounge and Retreat Pool. Anyone currently on or recently on that can provide their experiences?

Much appreciated it!

You're worrying over nothing. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, kwokpot said:

You're worrying over nothing. 

Great to hear. Wasn't actually worrying as we were on Apex last year and it was in great condition as much as just wanting to hear from an Edge perspective as this will be out first time on her. 

16 hours ago, dcbiker97 said:

I cannot believe a ship this new has worn areas enough to comment on.  Maybe the reviewers brought a microscope and examined every service. 

I wonder about that, as well, as we were on Infinity in October last year and thought it was beautifully maintained, but we book the Retreat so just don't have a good perspective on non-suites on older or new ships. Appreciate the thoughts by all!

I know the thread is for Edge, which this time last year seemed to be in pristine condition. 

FWIW - on Apex (which was idle until return to sail in 2022):

Room furnishings are as expected. 

Sunset Bar furniture is worn, substantially compressed cushions.  Not as good as Edge at about the same lifespan.  Time for a replacement (or coasting on pictures of Beyond's sunset bar in marketing).  Furniture was just slightly better on Magic Carpet, but still not as good as a Home Depot level of quality cushion.  We are light and felt the frame of the seat below the cushion. 

Retreat Deck better (might be because the cushions started thicker), some fading of accent pillows.  None appear to be any newer than the ship, which had no occupancy until return to sail (just weather or storage).  So far, on par with a year ago. 

Retreat lounge - same as Edge, but with bar instead of future cruise desks in the alcove area with the hallway to the suites and restrooms.  Mini coffee machine is overworked, and there's one in "the back," but that always seems to take longer and nowhere near the bar.  (The machine is a Miele pod that is relatively low volume compared to what one finds in waiting rooms, and lounges across the U.S., they really need two spread out so as to avoid the traffic jam).  Vitamin waters are hidden away somewhere, but available if you know to ask.  Ham and Salami are well represented throughout the day.  BYO salty snacks, but sugar and breads are plentiful.  

Room service with butler has been lackadaisical, over an hour delayed pre-ordered breakfast and missing items and accompaniments that have never been experienced in many hotel stays.  No QC or common sense with protocols.  Lots of apologies, and probably will return to phone messages that we will have check to turn off the red light, but does not make up for lost time or resorting to self service.  Bfast room service quality is national brand or food service quality on china, and about the same as 2022.  Nothing amazing, or even chicken or turkey sausage. 

Cheese plates (a place to wow, with minimal effort) are institutional food service quality - although didn't see better in 2022. 

Staffing ratio seems to be on par with public stats, although rigid adherence to protocols can get in the way of service. 

Eden - Excellent.  Book for every night.  

If everyone in the Retreat has a premium drink package why is it necessary to ask for a room number for a water?   Why push the app if the butlers and crew aren't available on the app?  

Edited by Cap_D

9 minutes ago, Cap_D said:

I know the thread is for Edge, which this time last year seemed to be in pristine condition. 

FWIW - on Apex (which was idle until return to sail in 2022):

Room furnishings are as expected. 

Sunset Bar furniture is worn, substantially compressed cushions.  Not as good as Edge at about the same lifespan.  Time for a replacement (or coasting on pictures of Beyond's sunset bar in marketing).  Furniture was just slightly better on Magic Carpet, but still not as good as a Home Depot level of quality cushion.  We are light and felt the frame of the seat below the cushion. 

Retreat Deck better (might be because the cushions started thicker), some fading of accent pillows.  None appear to be any newer than the ship, which had no occupancy until return to sail (just weather or storage).  So far, on par with a year ago. 

Room service with butler has been lackadaisical, over an hour delayed pre-ordered breakfast and missing items and accompaniments that have never been experienced in many hotel stays.  No QC or common sense with protocols.  Lots of apologies, and probably will return to phone messages that we will have check to turn off the red light, but does not make up for lost time or resorting to self service. 

Cheese plates (a place to wow, with minimal effort) are institutional food service quality - although didn't see better in 2022. 

Staffing ratio seems to be on par with public stats, although rigid adherence to protocols can get in the way of service. 

If everyone in the Retreat has a premium drink package why is it necessary to ask for a room number for a water?   

This report details normal wear and tear and in no way implies the Edge is in poor condition. I'm not sure what people's expectations are. It's a ocean going vessel that's exposed to the harshest conditions 24/7.

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Cap_D said:

I guess I kinda expect weathering of outdoor furniture/areas due to harsh sea conditions. Have to agree with you on the cheese plate. It’s an easy place to shine. When we were on Solstice in March (talk about weathered deck furniture 😳) I specified the kinds of cheeses we wanted and specifically asked for any type of cracker that wasn’t a saltine. I believe that many of the mishaps you experienced come down to luck of the draw as it relates to the butler. Our butler handled our cheese plate and in room breakfast with great precision. Some are just better than others. 

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

21 hours ago, JDPCruisers said:

Much appreciated it!

Enjoy your cruise. Post when you return your opinion.  🥂

3 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I guess I kinda expect weathering of outdoor furniture/areas due to harsh sea conditions. Have to agree with you on the cheese plate. It’s an easy place to shine. When we were on Solstice in March (talk about weathered deck furniture 😳) I specified the kinds of cheeses we wanted and specifically asked for any type of cracker that wasn’t a saltine. I believe that many of the mishaps you experienced come down to luck of the draw as it relates to the butler. Our butler handled our cheese plate and in room breakfast with great precision. Some are just better than others. 

Good to hear about your experience on Solistice as we had yet to sail on her. In regard to the butler, we didn't have good luck on Apex last April, but it wasn't anyone's fault as it was a COVID issue (we had three different assigned butlers with one we never got to meet). Now, on Infinity in October we had a wonderful butler in Walter who was very polished, attentive and accommodating. For our upcoming cruises we hope to have Walter again (he was trying to get back on Reflection and fingers crossed he can as we're on her October this year)!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Lastdance said:

Still going to miss you two on the TA; hope you have another wonderful cruise!

Ditto!  Hopefully we will qualify to go in October.  🙂

• Like 1

Was on the Edge in January in a Celebrity suite and back on in March in a Royal suite. All furniture looked fine ( hated the chairs very uncomfortable), the Retreat lounge was beautiful. Frankly I don’t think it’s used much. The Retreat sundeck was in great shape. They are constantly cleaning. Now if there was only more shade and a better menu for lunch on port days. The bar tenders are over worked. Our Butler was pleasant but useless. The bed is the most comfortable that I have ever slept in.