Back for a look

Not been on the forum for a while but been reading reviews on other cruise forums. We would love to be back on Marella but been reading lots of negative reviews about staff shortages, slow service, poor food, boozy passengers and disappointing entertainment.  Has anyone who has been on any of the Marella ships recently experienced any of this?

The prices have really shot up since we last cruised with Marella. They seem to be more expensive now that some other similar cruise lines even if they do have an AI drinks package. We are not big drinkers and much preferred the old way where you had the choice to add the drinks package or not. 

Always loved our Thomson / Marella cruises but something holding us back from booking. Mainly the price I think. Lots of great deals with some lines. Confused. com !

Had two cruises so far over the last 6months , explorer round the med , and just back from the carribbean on Discovery, we had a great time on both ships never had a problem with the food or service apart from the pool deck bar occasionally, we did use the buffet for most meals as the queue for the restaurant was always quite busy , we found the staff to be very friendly even though they were clearly busy , we also had the premium drinks well worth it, we tend not to use the pool deck just to busy, our next cruise is to the USA and ASIA both with Marella,there will always be people that will annoy you ignore them and have a great time .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nancyneptune said:

Not been on the forum for a while but been reading reviews on other cruise forums. We would love to be back on Marella but been reading lots of negative reviews about staff shortages, slow service, poor food, boozy passengers and disappointing entertainment.  Has anyone who has been on any of the Marella ships recently experienced any of this?

The prices have really shot up since we last cruised with Marella. They seem to be more expensive now that some other similar cruise lines even if they do have an AI drinks package. We are not big drinkers and much preferred the old way where you had the choice to add the drinks package or not. 

Always loved our Thomson / Marella cruises but something holding us back from booking. Mainly the price I think. Lots of great deals with some lines. Confused. com !

Hi Nancy

Hope your well

Nice to see you back even if it is for just a short while…Yep,I,m still here,like a rash you cant get rid off😅

Not recent but we were on Discovery last July.Great first 3 days and was shaping up to being another great cruise until Covid struck myself and Mrs JTS.Self isolation cabin for the rest of cruise.To make up for it we went away on Explorer in October and had a great time.It was a late,late booking so got it at a really great price.We booked it something like the Tuesday and flew out on the Friday

Still cruising with Marella as they,re still doing it for us so away on America cruise on Discovery in July then the Med on Voyager in October

5 hours ago, nancyneptune said:

Hi Nancy,  we were on Discovery 2 in October after 3 years. We were a little apprehensive but had a great cruise. Everything was pretty well back to normal and the crew were as friendly as ever. Sometimes we had to wait for drinks service but the food was as it had been before. The shows weren't quite as good as before but there were some really good musicians on board. We've booked Explorer 2 Adriatic in September and yes it was expensive but it's an itinerary we've always wanted to do so decided to go for it .

Have you looked at other cruise lines on CC?  You will find plenty of negative comments about them too, I guess things have had to change for all the cruise companies.

Go on, take the plunge and go with an open mind!

15 hours ago, Jim The Scot said:

Hi Nancy

Hope your well

Nice to see you back even if it is for just a short while…Yep,I,m still here,like a rash you cant get rid off😅

Not recent but we were on Discovery last July.Great first 3 days and was shaping up to being another great cruise until Covid struck myself and Mrs JTS.Self isolation cabin for the rest of cruise.To make up for it we went away on Explorer in October and had a great time.It was a late,late booking so got it at a really great price.We booked it something like the Tuesday and flew out on the Friday

Still cruising with Marella as they,re still doing it for us so away on America cruise on Discovery in July then the Med on Voyager in October

Hi Jim, all well thanks. So sorry that you were unwell on your cruise on Discovery. Glad to hear all went well on Explorer and you got a great deal. It is a US cruise we were looking at. Decisions , decisions. Need to decide soon as not a big choice of flights from Scotland. Don't know why we are hesitating. Not like us as we usually make up our minds on itineraries very quickly. We shouldn't let the negative posts put us off. Enjoy both your cruises. Great to something to look forward to.

Nancy 

We didnt hesitate to book the America cruise as we had booked it a few years ago only for it to be pulled as they scrapped the Dream and pulled the Discovery in to cover its itineraries so once Marella brought it back we booked it

Direct  flight from Glasgow on a Sunday so it suits us fine

Ps

Dont hesitate too long Nancy as it appears this seasons American cruises with Marella are a one off,well certainly for a year as not on their itineraries for 2024.Seem strange considering the  amount of money thrown at Melbourne Airport

Edited by Jim The Scot

Hi NN, we have cruised all the way through from August 2021 during the end of the Pandemic and not regretted it one bit.  We have had 6 cruises with TUI/Marella and 2 with others  P&O + MSC 

And have had a brilliant time on all. couldn't fault any of them.

Nancy, we did a 7n Canaries March 22 and the 11n repo from Corfu to Tenerife in Nov 22. Enjoyed both, especially the repo. Somewhat different to 5-10 years ago, but still enjoyable. I think Marella have changed the show team, to attract younger cruisers. Shows are still enjoyable but different. Crew are still as good as ever. Food is fine, but portion sizes and choice seem smaller to me. Biggest bugbear is prices, which given the current situation with energy prices and cost of food, etc, is a surprise. I think post pandemic, attitudes have changed, and live for today is more prevalent in peoples minds, especially the retired.

I'm still currently holding off for a bargain (that might never come), but if I hadn't cruised for a few years, I'd have to bite the bullet as time marches on. Non of us are getting younger!

• Like 1

I just looked at a week in Sept on Ex2 and for an OV cabin for 7nts it was coming out at over £3.5k and we can't justify that kind of money for just a weeks holiday. Looks like a cheapy bargain if there's still such a thing  in Tenerife or benidorm for us this year. 🤔