New Seabourn President Presidents Cruise June 17, 2023

rallydave

1 hour ago, galeforce9 said:

Can you check please   I thought it was 2023 only? 

Mr. SLSD had thrown the offer away, but found it in the waste paper basket in his library.  The offer IS for expeditions through 2024. 

IMG_4940.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Thanks so much for posting this. It worked!  I owe you a big one.

You can buy me a drink if we are ever on the same cruise.  I'm glad my posting helped you.  Yours must have been lost in the mail.  It was a postcard after all.  

Edited by SLSD

On 4/24/2023 at 7:40 AM, galeforce9 said:

Can you check please   I thought it was 2023 only? 

Galeforce, I don't know if you saw my post above.  The offer is for both 2023 and 2024.  

On 4/24/2023 at 3:08 PM, SLSD said:

Mr. SLSD had thrown the offer away, but found it in the waste paper basket in his library.  The offer IS for expeditions through 2024. 

IMG_4940.jpg

Thank you SLSD - sorry, I have only just seen this.  I really appreciate you digging in the WPB for me!! 

My only experience with President's cruises was our 70th Anniversary of D-Day cruise on Azamara.  The cruise was wonderful, but what wasn't pleasant was Larry Pimental being on board.  The normally jovial staff was on pins and needles the entire cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Did the president’s cruise get the itinerary change also?

ITINERARY CHANGE NOTIFICATION
Please be advised due to operational considerations, Seabourn Venture will no longer conduct the East Greenland Experience on Wednesday, June 7 and Thursday, June 8, 2023. Instead, we will now conduct the Southeast Greenland Experience
on the same dates.

2 hours ago, Aexboeingdriver said:

Please be advised due to operational considerations, Seabourn Venture will no longer conduct the East Greenland Experience on Wednesday, June 7 and Thursday, June 8, 2023. Instead, we will now conduct the Southeast Greenland Experience
on the same dates.

Does anyone know what "operational considerations" caused the East Greenland Experience to be dropped in June?  

3 hours ago, sfvoyage said:

Does anyone know what "operational considerations" caused the East Greenland Experience to be dropped in June?  

Same for July’s trip

Please be advised due to operational considerations, the East Greenland Experience has been shortened by one day and Seabourn Venture will no longer conduct the East Greenland Experience on Tuesday, July 18, 2023. Instead, we will now call to Ittoqqortoormit (Scoresbysund), Greenland from 07:00 to 17:00 on the same date. Additionally, the call times Itilleq, Tunulliarfik Fjord, Greenland will now be 13:30 to 18:00 on Wednesday, July 26 rather than 13:00 to 17:00 as originally scheduled.
Updated shore excursion information will be available online within the next two weeks.
The revised itinerary displays in full at the end of this notification.

8 hours ago, Aexboeingdriver said:

Did the president’s cruise get the itinerary change also?

on the same dates.

I am on the presidents cruise and have downloaded final documents which still shows east Greenland experience vs the changed to southeast experience 

So did not get a recent change to my east experience in late June. Extremely difficult to keep track as appears to me east includes zodiacs while se includes actual ports. 

should shake out next month. 

If you look at the Danish meteorological ice charts of that part of the world you will see ice in June and it will stay that way until July. This is straightforward and it is surprising to me that Seabourn expected to go there and deploy zodiacs etc this early in the year.

Happy and healthy sailing!

On 5/19/2023 at 7:43 AM, markham said:

If you look at the Danish meteorological ice charts of that part of the world you will see ice in June and it will stay that way until July. This is straightforward and it is surprising to me that Seabourn expected to go there and deploy zodiacs etc this early in the year.

Happy and healthy sailing!

I hope they will still have ice for the G+T! 😉

I posted this in a theme about the preceding cruise. Just thinking it might be of interest on the President's cruise.

My wife and I usually travel with a total of 4 carry-on size bags, each person piggy-backing one bag on another. We check two and carry on two plus a purse/laptop bag.  On this trip we were thinking to pack a lightweight extra bag into which we would stuff the anoraks and backpacks acquired on the voyage. This we would check to avoid travelling in heavy coats. On checking with Seabourn to confirm we are advised that the anoraks/backpacks must be included in the 2 bag/50 lbs limit per person.  No big inconvenience since we know ahead and can adjust what we take. It could be one reason why there are no formal nights (that we would miss anyway). 

3 minutes ago, Dusko said:

I posted this in a theme about the preceding cruise. Just thinking it might be of interest on the President's cruise.

My wife and I usually travel with a total of 4 carry-on size bags, each person piggy-backing one bag on another. We check two and carry on two plus a purse/laptop bag.  On this trip we were thinking to pack a lightweight extra bag into which we would stuff the anoraks and backpacks acquired on the voyage. This we would check to avoid travelling in heavy coats. On checking with Seabourn to confirm we are advised that the anoraks/backpacks must be included in the 2 bag/50 lbs limit per person.  No big inconvenience since we know ahead and can adjust what we take. It could be one reason why there are no formal nights (that we would miss anyway). 

Believe you may have gotten incorrect information.  Yes, you may only check 2 bags on the charter each no heavier than 50 pounds. Also unless you are taking the charter post cruise, the included bacpac would only be available on board,  For the Presidents cruise th charter is pre cruise.   I specifically asked about carry ons as I am bringing

1 carryon, one personal item  plus a Medical Device and was told that they only were told by the charter airline about the 2 checked bags at 50 lbs each and that carry ons would be the same as most airlines as a carryon, personal item plus any medical devices.

I really wanted the carryons specifically described but am going with 2 checked and the aforementioned baryons/personal/medical.

On 5/19/2023 at 1:50 AM, ct-andy said:

Same for July’s trip

Please be advised due to operational considerations, the East Greenland Experience has been shortened by one day and Seabourn Venture will no longer conduct the East Greenland Experience on Tuesday, July 18, 2023. Instead, we will now call to Ittoqqortoormit (Scoresbysund), Greenland from 07:00 to 17:00 on the same date. Additionally, the call times Itilleq, Tunulliarfik Fjord, Greenland will now be 13:30 to 18:00 on Wednesday, July 26 rather than 13:00 to 17:00 as originally scheduled.
Updated shore excursion information will be available online within the next two weeks.
The revised itinerary displays in full at the end of this notification.

15 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Believe you may have gotten incorrect information.  Yes, you may only check 2 bags on the charter each no heavier than 50 pounds. Also unless you are taking the charter post cruise, the included bacpac would only be available on board,  For the Presidents cruise th charter is pre cruise.   I specifically asked about carry ons as I am bringing

1 carryon, one personal item  plus a Medical Device and was told that they only were told by the charter airline about the 2 checked bags at 50 lbs each and that carry ons would be the same as most airlines as a carryon, personal item plus any medical devices.

I really wanted the carryons specifically described but am going with 2 checked and the aforementioned baryons/personal/medical.

Thanks for responding. I can only quote from the letter I received on Thursday:

"

Thank you for contacting Seabourn Cruise Line regarding the baggage allowance for your upcoming expedition cruise aboard the Seabourn Venture.
Guests are allowed a total maximum of 50lbs per person. You may have up to 2 bags but the total combined weight may be no more than 50lbs. Additionally, you may each carry one personal item onboard the charter aircraft upon your return. 
The Helly Hansen anorak and Seabourn backpack must go inside your luggage and do count toward your 50lb/ per person limit. 

We hope this information helps, and if you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,
Billy
Seabourn Reservations
Seabourn Cruise Lines"

I can understand there may be a difference because of the cruise direction. If you are flying out to the ship on the charter the anorak and backpack would perhaps not be issued until you reach the ship. Obviously not a problem when you leave the ship in Reykjavik.  Still, there's still a discrepancy about the number and weight of bags.  Could you share your correspondence please?
Edited by Dusko
Clarification

2 hours ago, Dusko said:

I can understand there may be a difference because of the cruise direction. If you are flying out to the ship on the charter the anorak and backpack would perhaps not be issued until you reach the ship. Obviously not a problem when you leave the ship in Reykjavik.  Still, there's still a discrepancy about the number and weight of bags.  Could you share your correspondence please?

Have nothing in writing.  After reading your response from Seabourn I phoned Seabourn and talked to the same person who I had talked to a few weeks ago and was told 50 lbs per person with nothing in writing aout carry ons.  We talked and she asked about what was in my documents and that was "50LB/23KG PER GUEST/2 BAG PER GUEST MAX" which I see on my documents  and to me it is written weirdly.  Have never been that limited before.  She recommended having my TA contact their contacts at Seabourn and get the correct story which I have done and hoping to have a response next wee which I will post.

I do know the rules last year were 2 bags at 50 lbs each and which should be the same this year plus the usual carry ons since there are items which cannot go in the hold of the plane. More to come but, 2 bags at a total of 50 lbs is absurd and I am almost positive that writing is simply incorrect.

More to come,

4 hours ago, rallydave said:

She recommended having my TA contact their contacts at Seabourn and get the correct story which I have done and hoping to have a response next week which I will post.

Yes please!

Total of 23 kg per guest for a 28 days cruise is ridiculous.

On 5/20/2023 at 1:13 PM, Dusko said:

Thanks for responding. I can only quote from the letter I received on Thursday:

"

Thank you for contacting Seabourn Cruise Line regarding the baggage allowance for your upcoming expedition cruise aboard the Seabourn Venture.
Guests are allowed a total maximum of 50lbs per person. You may have up to 2 bags but the total combined weight may be no more than 50lbs. Additionally, you may each carry one personal item onboard the charter aircraft upon your return. 
The Helly Hansen anorak and Seabourn backpack must go inside your luggage and do count toward your 50lb/ per person limit. 

We hope this information helps, and if you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,
Billy
Seabourn Reservations
Seabourn Cruise Lines"

Got the following in writing back from my excellent TA today in writing.  Guess we all are going to have to struggle to meet the weight requirements.

Hi Dave,

Unfortunately the allowances are due to landing requirements in Kangerlussuaq, Greenland. See below in writing from Seabourn:

Yes, what is stated on the confirmation is correct, "50LB/23KG PER GUEST/2 BAG PER GUEST MAX".  For checked bags, each guest may check-in up to 50lbs either all in 1 bag or dispersed amongst 2 bags.  Each guest may also bring a carry-on with them on the plane.

Completely understand their line of thinking but these baggage allowances were not created by Seabourn nor by how much luggage the aircraft can normally accommodate but by total weight restrictions placed on the operation in order for the plane to safely land at the landing strip in Kangerlussuaq, Greenland. 

7 hours ago, rallydave said:

but by total weight restrictions placed on the operation in order for the plane to safely land at the landing strip in Kangerlussuaq, Greenland. 

Airplane take off mass can be twice as high as the landing mass.

My 30 July flight is from Kangerlussuaq to Reykjavik, so maybe I can have 23kg per bag for 2 bags🤣

Air Greenland regularly operates an Airbus A330 from Kangerlussuaq to Denmark. The A330 is a very large wide body aircraft very much like a Boeing 777.

What really limits an aircraft take off weight is runway length, airport height above sea level and high temperatures.

Kangerlussuaq is 165 ft above sea level, at the time I am typing this 28’ F and the runway is 9219 ft long.

To put it in perspective Washington Dulles the shortest runway is 9400 ft. and the longest is 11400 ft long.

I would be very surprised if the A330 would not be able to take off at maximum gross weight of 251.00 tonnes.

Edited by Aexboeingdriver
  • Thanks 1

The flight, ZT 4382, back to Reykjavik is with Titan Airways who have a variety of aircraft. As a charter airline the contract will limit the overall weight they must carry for Seabourn. They will obviously have other contracts on the same flight including cargo to complete their payload makeup. I’m not going to second guess. I’m happy to live with 2 bags/person with a total weight of 23 kg. It’s not difficult to pack accordingly. They have laundry onboard. 

On 5/24/2023 at 3:01 AM, Aexboeingdriver said:

Kangerlussuaq is 165 ft above sea level, at the time I am typing this 28’ F and the runway is 9219 ft long.

One end of the Kangerlussuaq runway is sinking into the permafrost which is melting as a result of global warming. They may be limiting weight and/or use of the full length of the runway this summer due to that.

• Thanks 1

Finally received this today.

===========

Thank you for contacting Seabourn Cruise Line regarding the luggage requirements for your upcoming Sailings on Venture, departing on July 02, 2023, and July 16, 2023, booking numbers CXXXXR and CXXXXW.

After reviewing your first reservation departing on July 02, 2023, There are no luggage restrictions. However, there are luggage restrictions in regard to the charter flight from Kangerlussauq to Reykjavik on reservation CXXXXW.  

Luggage Restrictions:  Per guest are allowed 2 bags totaling 50LB/23KG. All guest traveling on the charter flight has the same luggage restrictions.  

For any additional luggage or anything over the weight limit, we can recommend contacting luggage forward and inquire if they can transport the additional luggage from the pier to the hotel. The hotel is called the Parliament Hotel and you have a reservation through Seabourn scheduled for July 30, 2023.  The phone number and website for luggage forward are the following: Phone: 860-866-5959 (US) Website: https://www.luggageforward.com/seabourn.

You could contact the Parliament Hotel directly to inquire if they could make arrangements to transport the additional luggage. 

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.  

We look forward to welcoming you on Venture and hope you have a wonderful voyage!

Kind Regards

Ben  

Seabourn Diamond Concierge

Seabourn | Luxury Voyages and Expeditions