Crowds in gym on Wonder of the Seas

Hello All,

Four in our group will be using the gym daily. Is it difficult to access space and machines, ellipticals, treadmills, etc in the 8:30am timeframe? Thanks!

Edited by 7680
Rewording

On the first day the gym is the most crowded.  The crowd thins after that. Never had any issue getting a machine. Since you mentioned a treadmill,  there is a terrific walking/jogging track on deck 6.  Just over 2 times around the track for a quick mile!

M

• Like 1

The track on the Oasis class of ships is by far the best of any cruise ship. It's a true track and has great views and shade. Strongly recommend that over the treadmills.

Crowds on the first day, especially if it's a sea day, are crazy. The worst part is that 50% of those people have no idea what they are doing and are sitting on equipment, using it incorrectly, or utilizing the gym as a social space. You will see some "interesting" things. After that day, the crowds are gone. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, CruisinSinceIwasBorn said:

The worst part is that 50% of those people have no idea what they are doing and are sitting on equipment, using it incorrectly, or utilizing the gym as a social space.

THIS. There is absolutely something in the air on that first sea day where people tend to flock to the gym like it's a New Year's resolution. Then suddenly, for the rest of the trip, they are nowhere to be found (thankfully). I was on Harmony in Nov and I can attest that the gym was so packed in the morning hours on the first day, that I actually came back in the afternoon, it was just too agitating. That said, the rest of the trip it was fine and when I would emerge around 9 am I had no issues with available cardio or weight equipment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, 7680 said:

Hello All,

Four in our group will be using the gym daily. Is it difficult to access space and machines, ellipticals, treadmills, etc in the 8:30am timeframe? Thanks!

Never had an issue using the gym in January.  I usually went a little earlier than 8:30, so that may be why.

The gym pretty well equipped so something should be available .  There are treadmills on both sides of the gym ,ellipticals lots of weight machines .

12 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

... Since you mentioned a treadmill,  there is a terrific walking/jogging track on deck 6.  Just over 2 times around the track for a quick mile!

you had me worried - I’m booked in a deck 6 balcony,  thought I’d be required to jog all the way to my cabin and back !  😂 would not be a pretty sight. 

just looked at a video - thankfully it’s on deck 5.  Wow, looks wonderful!

Edited by ocean sounds
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, CruisinSinceIwasBorn said:

The worst part is that 50% of those people have no idea what they are doing and are sitting on equipment, using it incorrectly, or utilizing the gym as a social space. You will see some "interesting" things.

And they usually walk around with a towel draped around their neck like they just went 15 rounds with Muhammad Ali. 

• Haha 6

9 hours ago, CruisinSinceIwasBorn said:

The track on the Oasis class of ships is by far the best of any cruise ship. It's a true track and has great views and shade. Strongly recommend that over the treadmills.

Crowds on the first day, especially if it's a sea day, are crazy. The worst part is that 50% of those people have no idea what they are doing and are sitting on equipment, using it incorrectly, or utilizing the gym as a social space. You will see some "interesting" things. After that day, the crowds are gone. 

oh yes you will!!!  My favorite was a couple in their robes and slippers walking on the treadmills.  Or just watching people sitting the wrong way on machines.  Or blue tooth speakers on between 2 treadmills.  I go 2 a days.  Early am and around 5-6pm.  Never a crowd.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, CruisinSinceIwasBorn said:

oh yes you will!!!  My favorite was a couple in their robes and slippers walking on the treadmills.  Or just watching people sitting the wrong way on machines.  Or blue tooth speakers on between 2 treadmills.  I go 2 a days.  Early am and around 5-6pm.  Never a crowd.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CruisinSinceIwasBorn said:

I think the worst part is the folks who block the running lane on the track.  Couples walking side by side blocking the jogging lane.  Folks on their phone walking in the jogging lane.  People taking photos acting clueless like it isn’t clearly a jogging track. At least the gym stuff ends after day one.  This stuff persists all cruise long.   

BTW, the track is on deck 5.  Don’t want to OP trying to jog on deck 6.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, topnole said:

I think the worst part is the folks who block the running lane on the track.  Couples walking side by side blocking the jogging lane.  Folks on their phone walking in the jogging lane.  People taking photos acting clueless like it isn’t clearly a jogging track. At least the gym stuff ends after day one.  This stuff persists all cruise long.   

BTW, the track is on deck 5.  Don’t want to OP trying to jog on deck 6.  

It's another reason I jogged on the Symphony and Allure early am (5-6).  No one on there but the workers.  A couple of sea days, yes, once 9am hit, the couples would casually stroll on there.  🙄

I'm travelling on Symphony this summer and it will be my first time on an Oasis class ship. I've watched some gym tours on YouTube and seen all the machines but I haven't noticed if there are dumbbells and/or kettlebells? Can anyone confirm or deny please? Thanks!

13 hours ago, gingerpeaches said:

I'm travelling on Symphony this summer and it will be my first time on an Oasis class ship. I've watched some gym tours on YouTube and seen all the machines but I haven't noticed if there are dumbbells and/or kettlebells? Can anyone confirm or deny please? Thanks!

Yes, free weights and machines with cable type weights.  Don't remember seeing kettle balls, but didn't specifically look either. There are mats and there's an adjacent room where they have stretching and other classes too.  Symphony and Wonder gyms very well equipped, IMO.  They also have 2 rowers which I personally like in addition to all the other machines.  Other types of exercise bikes too.  I believe there was a stair climber but can't remember for sure as didn't use it.