Sharing Voom Logins

We will have 4 cabins on Oasis.  I purchased the four device package for Voom.  It is my understanding that with this package that our group could have any number of unique devices sharing the four logins as long as only four are being used at one time.  Is that correct?  If so, what happens if all 4 logins are being used and a fifth device tries to go online?  Is it just blocked or does it provide a way for the fifth user knock one of the other users off?

A different question pertains to the RC App's messaging function.  Does this provide real time notification of an incoming message like you get with an SMS message on a phone or must you open up the App and manually check if you have a message?  How reliable is this feature?  Our kids will want to be able to use it to coordinate with each other pertaining to watching their kids and need it to be reliable.

Not sure on your first question.  On other threads I’ve heard mixed reviews on the app messenger.   Many state it isn’t reliable like normal texting.  Also, apparently you don’t get notifications like a text (unless they have recently changed that).  From my read of it, if you want fast real-time communication, not sure the app won’t feel disappointing.   But if a few issues here and there aren’t a big deal, it might do well enough for you.  That’s my read of it at least.  

If you don't want one of the other four devices to be randomly booted off when you log onto a fifth device, you can choose which device to log off by using the browser on that device and browsing to "logoff.com". 

54 minutes ago, JessyCruises said:

It is a single ID and password.  If a 5th person logs in, it boots off the device that has been signed in the longest.

In my experience, it ASKS if you want to switch devices.

11 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

It will ask on fifth device, right? Not on the first four 

8 hours ago, rjp50 said:

A different question pertains to the RC App's messaging function.  Does this provide real time notification of an incoming message like you get with an SMS message on a phone or must you open up the App and manually check if you have a message?  How reliable is this feature?  Our kids will want to be able to use it to coordinate with each other pertaining to watching their kids and need it to be reliable.

The Royal app chat feature has been unpredictable for many.  Sometimes you will get notifications right away and other times you will not get anything until you check manually.

One theory is that a device operating system, ios or android for example, doesn't recognize that Royal is a chat app like the well known chat apps so when the app has been idled it's put to sleep to save battery.  The Royal app doesn't know it's been put to sleep by the os.  

Another issue could manifest in the way that devices are constantly checking to see if they have an active connection to a cloud service.  Apple devices check to see if they can reach iCloud for example, android tries to reach google, etc.  If they can't reach their cloud they determine there is no internet so they disable some communication to save battery, only allowing communication to try every so often. 

If you have a paid Voom plan then notifications work better since your device is connected to the internet but that doesn't matter if the person you are trying to reach doesn't also have a paid Voom plan and their device is blocking the notification.  If you both have a paid Voom plan then you can text normally and you don't need the chat in the Royal app.  Catch 22.

Whatever is causing it is somewhat irrelevant to us mere humans.  The chat feature in the app doesn't appear to provide reliable notifications for many.  

Maybe they are doing this intentionally to motivate people to pay for Voom.  

From recent experience using the message function in RC App

Both parties have to have the APP open 

Message app shows who is online 

I messaged an online party and they got msg and we conversed 

Red bubbles will indicate a msg has been received, no IOS notification 

I messaged another who was not online, they got message 2 hours later when they opened the Royal APP

This was my experience, I am sure updates will be done and my experience will be history 

YMMV

Happy Days!

13 hours ago, Tatka said:

It will ask on fifth device, right? Not on the first four 

That is correct. The person that drops off will get no notification it is going to happen. The wifi will just stop working. 

If someone has already logged off of one of  the devices before #5 joins, they won’t be asked if they want to switch devices, it will just connect

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

That’s how it was on Rhapsody on our March Sailing. When the device that exceeded the sign on limit tried to sign on it asked if we wanted to switch device. 

If  you only purchase one 4 device package the username and password will be the same on all 4 devices. That is how it knows you exceeded the device limit.

If you want separate user names and password you will have to purchase an account for each user name and password. We buy one package and use the D+ discount and share that until the last 48 hours. Then I create my own account and use my D+ benefit. We only by the package on the 7 night or longer cruise.