Nationwide Travel Insurance - thanks!

jeanlyon

Can I just thank those who advised me about the above travel insurance.  I am now covered for annual worldwide cover with 2 medical conditions (we are 76 and 85)  for the amazing sum of £401.  Just wish I had know about this before.  Been with the NW for over 20 years!  LOL

Cheapest other quote was £850 and most other were over £1K.

I learnt something interesting.  Having declared my hip replacement, I was told that as I wasn't on any meds and had no problems in the last 12 months, I don't need to declare it.

• Like 7

Would just like to also confirm that I commented on my op regarding long travel insurance and to thank people for their generous assistance, now got the same insurance albeit as we are considerably younger than the ages Jean has mentioned, nice to know that should we reach the ages quoted and we still are able to cruise we will not have to worry about insurance👍

• Like 2

and I can add, an even further reassurance, we have had two largish claims with NW insurance in the last ten years and both have been settled. One was a medical emergency and the other a lockdown covid cancellation. 

Same for me. I declared a heart condition that had been treated by surgery ... all is well, no meds, no follow ups etc, NW had no problem with that. 

Similar scenarios with other quotes. Using the same information as given to NW  .... it was cheaper to buy Annual rather than Single Trip, and quotes given ranged from £800 to £3000.

The phrase "rip off" springs to mind.

Just a little bit of research was required ... 

2 hours ago, Harters said:

Is this only available to those who have a Nationwide bank account, or do they sell insurance to the more general public? Thanks.

It is my understanding thet you have to have an account, nationwide flex plus and a monthly fee of £13 which also gives you vehicle breakdown and mobile phone cover, we have changed our packaged account to this one 

• Like 1

Just now, gsmt47471015 said:

It is my understanding thet you have to have an account, nationwide flex plus and a monthly fee of £13 which also gives you vehicle breakdown and mobile phone cover, we have changed our packaged account to this one 

That, spelling error🤔

2 hours ago, Harters said:

Is this only available to those who have a Nationwide bank account, or do they sell insurance to the more general public? Thanks.

Yes you have to have a Nationwide Flexplus account.  It's £13 a month which is £156 a year and covers you for worldwide travel, mobile phone and breakdown cover.  Our upgrade for 2 med conditions for my husband was £141.40 - age extensioin for both of us £65 and cruise cover (missed ports, cabin confinement) £40.  Total for us £401.  I almost cannot believe the price considering my lowest quote for only European cover was £850 and up to £1500.

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 1

Thank, both. I thought that would be the case but wanted to check.

We used to have really good cover through our NatWest account till about three years ago when they declined to insure us, because of our various conditions. So we went with Staysure who were great . We currently can't get any insurance as my companion in life has undiagnosed issues. Then we'll have to see who will insure us for our conditions, plus an "awaiting surgery" for one of us. I know some insurers will cover the latter but at one heck of a cost.

Edited by Harters
  • Like 1

On 4/6/2023 at 5:01 PM, jeanlyon said:

Can I just thank those who advised me about the above travel insurance.  I am now covered for annual worldwide cover with 2 medical conditions (we are 76 and 85)  for the amazing sum of £401.  Just wish I had know about this before.  Been with the NW for over 20 years!  LOL

Cheapest other quote was £850 and most other were over £1K.

I learnt something interesting.  Having declared my hip replacement, I was told that as I wasn't on any meds and had no problems in the last 12 months, I don't need to declare it.

So pleased you were able to obtain the cover you need Jean. As I said previously you would have to go a long way to beat Nationwide even with the £13 a month fee. 

13 hours ago, sandancer said:

So pleased you were able to obtain the cover you need Jean. As I said previously you would have to go a long way to beat Nationwide even with the £13 a month fee. 

Just wish you had told me 5 years ago!!  🤣  Also, can't think why I never looked into it myself.  

We only upgraded recently Jean. Before that we were able to have the insurance through our flexaccount. We don’t need the breakdown cover or mobile phone cover but still worth having. The other advantage is being able to use an ATM to withdraw foreign currency with no commission. 

• Like 1

Glad you're sorted. Unfortunately our experience is the complete opposite.  We'd banked with Nationwide for years and did have the travel insurance which, when it works, is brilliant.

But

In 2018 DH, who was 74 at the time, suffered a very mild stroke.  He had/has no lasting symptoms, takes no medication and was discharged from the hospital with no need for any follow up.  He was not admitted to hospital, just treated in A&E.  However, the advice was to mention it to our insurance company. Nationwide's response?  We won't cover you for a stroke and whilst we are at it, we will no longer cover you for your diabetes and High blood pressure  - all of which they had previously covered us for.  So basically they refused to cover him for any of his previously noted conditions !!!

Fortunately we found a company that accepted us, no questions asked (including medical ones!) and this year's annual insurance, including the States and the Caribbean is £450 for the two of us.

3 hours ago, Sarnia 432 said:

@babs135 who did you use in the end?

If you or any close member of your family are serving or have served in any of the Armed Forces you can, for a small fee, join the Forcespensionsociety.org and you are then able to get travel insurance. I have my late father's service number from the Second World War so time is not a factor.  The insurance is with a Lloyds Syndicate.  They asked no medical questions other than 'do you have a terminal illness' and 'do you have any mental health issues.  They will not accept anyone over 80 but if you're already a policy holder you can remain, but health questions may well be asked at this point.

Hope this helps.