Port of Lisbon Taxi Bandits

conman

Just back from the 10 day Spain intensive on the Onward.  Will try and write a review later.  I will say this the service, food, and the “Amazing Evening” in Seville, SP were outstanding.   Have read that many cruise lines have cut back on services and perks.  I did not get that impression at all as this was our third time in Azamara.  Okay, so the main purpose of this thread is to warn all of you, no matter what cruise line you are on to watch out for the taxi bandits at the Port of Lisbon.  If you google search taxi fares from the port to the airport you will find prices near 15 to 20 Euro.  It’s a short drive.  The cabbies charged my wife and I 35 euro and my friends behind me their cabbie charged them 40 euro.  My third group of friends got an Uber and it was approximately 15 euro.  Lesson learned in Lisbon pre arrange your ride to the airport and stay away from those taxi bandits.

• Thanks 2

I hate to admit it but the same thing happened to us ! We were on a sort of freeway and saw signs to the airport, our driver took a left and took us through back streets with roadworks and traffic lights and we also ended up paying €35 ( no tip given) We laughed it off as lesson learned, ask before the trip what it would cost and take a photo of his registration number. There was a meter but he kept his arm along the back of the seat so we couldn’t see it properly. 

Rosalyn

Edited by cruiseaholic78
  • Like 1

Lisbon is particularly bad. Unfortunately we got stung $30 to the Intercontinental. We always photograph the plate when getting in the car now. Last year driver wasn’t happy at that but tough. 
Trouble with Uber is their drivers can’t get in to do pick ups you have to drag your luggage a distance in Lisbon. Seems to be happening more and more our local airport now has issues as to what firms are allowed in the main pickup area. 

Always make sure the meter is on and take their badge or number. If they do rip you off report them even if you are home. They moan about Uber but this is why people use them over the metered taxi.

• Like 1

The worse places for cab rip off for me has been New York, Chicago and Miami, my husband drove a Black cab in London for 40 years , under such strict regulations , the best in the world , if anyone’s knows what they go through to complete the knowledge they would fully understand that an Uber is an absolute no , no to us.

Always check the fare before getting in and if they ask for a lot extra just refuse to pay it, and always act in a confident manner

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rosroz said:

The worse places for cab rip off for me has been New York, Chicago and Miami, my husband drove a Black cab in London for 40 years , under such strict regulations , the best in the world , if anyone’s knows what they go through to complete the knowledge they would fully understand that an Uber is an absolute no , no to us.

Always check the fare before getting in and if they ask for a lot extra just refuse to pay it, and always act in a confident manner

The biggest problem we’ve had is trying to get a taxi from Heathrow to Slough a few years ago. All of the black cabs in the taxi queue refused our fare, or grudgingly offered to take us to our hotel in Slough for the same price as a trip onto the centre of London (£60, at that time!) This was with the full cooperation of the dispatcher. We solved the problem by phoning the hotel to send a mini cab to pick us up. These days, we’d arrange an Uber. No wonder Uber is popular! The black cab drivers that day deserved to lose a lot business. No sympathy for them after the way we were treated. 

Edited by lisiamc
  • Like 1