Regent First Timer Onboard - Reasonable Expectations?

D&L Thomas:  

I would gainsay that other contiguous shipmates of yours have experienced some of the shortfalls in service you have described concerning that "missing in action" steward.  He may not even be currently onboard; or possibly ill?  

We have been fortunate in over 25 years' with Radisson/Regent not to have had to deal with a similar situation.  Suite attendants (or Butlers, on occasion when coordinating duties with those attendants) have been responsive to requests when advised either verbally, or by a note left on the bed.  

Do not be reticent to review this ongoing situation with Housekeeping.  You will also have the opportunity to fill out a mid-cruise evaluation.  Yet another venue for communication with ship's management.  But, no need to wait to do that.  Regent staff strives to do things right.  Give them the opportunity to do that.  

GOARMY!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Do you really believe that a cabin steward can accurately predict the time it takes for laundry to be done?  Can you show me where it is promised “same day service.”  I can’t seem to find it anywhere on the Regent website.

does it have to be on the website to be "a promise?"

If the butler says it will be back same day, that is a promise.

Not sure why you have to defend poor service.

• Like 1

Just mention it in the mid cruise survey which you should have by now if you like. My stewardess did tell me ours would by 9PM the next day, which it was. Possible language issue?

So far, we have had zero disappointments on this cruise. Weather has been super nice (Bermuda, right now keeping the streak going), service and food have been absolutely great. Excursion this AM was nice. No disappointments anywhere yet. Well, the comedian last night wasn't great, but be more not my type of comedy (prop comedy isn't my thing).

Looking forward to the bbq tonight.

19 hours ago, mrlevin said:

We had one ship where there was issue with stewardess picking up laundry but leaving it in work area on our deck until she went down for lunch; thus it wasn't in by 9 to laundry.

Agreed.
In our experience slower than expected laundry or pressing is normally down to the steward’s timeliness in delivery to and/or collection from the laundry rather than the efficiency of the laundry.

As others have advised, if you have continuing issues with the servicing of your suite then do not hesitate to ask reception for a visit from the Chief Housekeeper or his/her assistant.

On Regent there is no reason to lower your expectations unless those expectations are unreasonable, which yours are not.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise 😎

Edited by flossie009
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Nachosdelux said:

does it have to be on the website to be "a promise?"

If the butler says it will be back same day, that is a promise.

Not sure why you have to defend poor service.

“Does it have to be on the website to be a”a promise?” Yes. If you are going to hold the entire cruise line responsible for something then yes, it has to be a promise from the cruise line in writing. Otherwise it’s simply a promise from a specific individual.  A butler or cabin steward cannot make a promise for Regent if Regent doesn’t publish that promise.

”if the butler says it will be back same day, is that a promise?”  The butler doesn’t speak for the laundry, the head of the dining room, shore excursion desk, or even the Captain. So no, the butler saying it will be back same day is not a promise unless he SAYS it’s a promise.  Regent TRIES to do same day service but there are 700 passengers plus crew plus Housekeeping that are all trying to use the same laundry. To expect for absolute certainty that YOUR laundry WILL be done in a matter of a few hours is, in my opinion, an unreasonable expectation.  But if your butler keeps making “promises” he can’t deliver, take it to his superior if you are so bothered by it.  

I don’t defend poor service, I just don’t come on social media and complain  before attempting to correct the problem.  And I don’t find having reasonable expectations as “defending poor service,” I see it as having reasonable expectations.  

Almost every “complaint” on Regent is resolved to the satisfaction of the passenger.  All one has to do is bring it to the attention of the appropriate individual.  So why do YOU think it reasonable to come on social media and complain then say “I really do not want to complain and get anyone in trouble…. I’m planning to give it another day or two” BEFORE actually trying to get it resolved?  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

“Does it have to be on the website to be a”a promise?” Yes. If you are going to hold the entire cruise line responsible for something then yes, it has to be a promise from the cruise line in writing. Otherwise it’s simply a promise from a specific individual.  A butler or cabin steward cannot make a promise for Regent if Regent doesn’t publish that promise.…….

I don’t defend poor service, I just don’t come on social media and complain  before attempting to correct the problem.  And I don’t find having reasonable expectations as “defending poor service,” I see it as having reasonable expectations.  

Almost every “complaint” on Regent is resolved to the satisfaction of the passenger.  All one has to do is bring it to the attention of the appropriate individual.  So why do YOU think it reasonable to come on social media and complain then say “I really do not want to complain and get anyone in trouble…. I’m planning to give it another day or two” BEFORE actually trying to get it resolved?  

Exactly!! If something needs attention be proactive and talk to a supervisor. There is no need to stew about something. Regent will do all in their power to try to please but the passenger has to speak up.

• Like 2

I agree that if one feels that the device is not up to standards one should consult with a supervisor.  However, it is incorrect to think that one should not rely on what is told by a butler, or that Regent is not responsible when one of their employees gives incorrect information.  Regent hires and trains their employees and, in any other business situation, a company is responsible for the actions of their employees, unless that employee goes way outside of their authority.  If a butler didn't know when laundry would be done, all he had to do was use his phone to call the laundry and ask them. before answering the question.  If the butler doesn't know an answer, just say so.  Otherwise, it is a failure not just for that employee but also for Regent.  Again, in order for Regent to correct the problem, the appropriate supervisor need to know about it.

Personally I am not too bothered but as we were also told by our room steward that if we left our laundry out before 9 it would be back at turn down then the staff are obviously being told to say this and hence, by default, Regent are setting an expectation for their customers. The problem with setting the bar too high is it increases the risk of failure.

Surely it is better to have a slightly longer time frame as the expectation and then delight the customer by achieving said service in a shorter time frame.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2023 at 10:08 AM, D&L Thomas said:

A I would talk to the steward directly but we have yet to meet him. The assistant has been by but she was not aware of any of our requests so maybe there are communication difficulties between the two of them.

I will try leaving notes.

The phone in your cabin will ring to your room steward.  Ask him to come and meet you and when it will be convenient for you..

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pcardad said:

As an additional data point, about 98% of the crew are hired by and work for this company, not Regent.

http://www.theapollogroup.com/

But they do represent Regent and provide an onboard service that Regent is directly responsible for and Regent directly manages. I’ve had hundreds of contractors in my workplace over the years and if there was an issue with the work quality or work quantity of a contractor, I was directly responsible for fixing the issue. Those contractors represented my department to my internal customers as much as a full time employee and most times, my internal customer never knew if they were an employee or a contractor. I will stress that is extremely important for the employee/contractor and their supervisor to get feedback so they all know if the person is doing a good job or needs improvement. Everyone should be given a chance to improve and get better at their job but they need feedback. Sometimes, and I found it to be rare, that a person just doesn’t improve and needs to be replaced. Many times it isn’t the person but it’s a process issue or a policy/procedure issue that is the root cause. 

When Regent changed their policy and added free laundry for all, many of those who had this as a Seven Seas Society benefit came on these very boards and "suggested" that this would make the laundry turn around time very long (days not hours).  But it has had very little impact.   If you actually believe that putting your laundry in the hall by 9 am will GUARANTEE that it is back by that evening then your expectations are absurd.  In my experience it GENERALLY is back by that evening, but not always.  So it comes back the next day.  Those of you who are totally "offended" by the "breaking of a promise" are being ridiculous in my opinion.  This is a wonderful benefit that didn't exist a few years ago.  When we did a 44 night cruise in 2018 we had to pay for our laundry or do it ourself.  I thought the ability to put my clothes in the wash and order a martini to the laundry room was a pretty good benefit.  But NOTHING like putting it out for them to do and have it returned in perfect condition, folded neatly in a great box and allowing me to spend my time doing something OTHER than laundry.  

So complain if it makes you feel better, but I sure won't.  

Oh...by the way... the crew, especially the butlers and cabin stewards, work EXTREMELY hard to make your experience wonderful.  Maybe appreciate THAT rather than getting upset because your laundry showed up the next day instead of same day. 

And I can just imagine cabin stewards and butlers getting on the phone to the laundry all morning long asking them when the laundry for cabin xyz will be done GUARANTEED!   Can you even imagine the workload that the laundry personnel has to do EVERY DAY?  

Ok....let the flaming begin. 😏

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pappy1022 said:

But they do represent Regent and provide an onboard service that Regent is directly responsible for and Regent directly manages. I’ve had hundreds of contractors in my workplace over the years and if there was an issue with the work quality or work quantity of a contractor, I was directly responsible for fixing the issue. Those contractors represented my department to my internal customers as much as a full time employee and most times, my internal customer never knew if they were an employee or a contractor. I will stress that is extremely important for the employee/contractor and their supervisor to get feedback so they all know if the person is doing a good job or needs improvement. Everyone should be given a chance to improve and get better at their job but they need feedback. Sometimes, and I found it to be rare, that a person just doesn’t improve and needs to be replaced. Many times it isn’t the person but it’s a process issue or a policy/procedure issue that is the root cause. 

I was adding a data point, not taking sides. I am grateful for laundry and don't care when it comes back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, papaflamingo said:

When Regent changed their policy and added free laundry for all, many of those who had this as a Seven Seas Society benefit came on these very boards and "suggested" that this would make the laundry turn around time very long (days not hours).  But it has had very little impact.   If you actually believe that putting your laundry in the hall by 9 am will GUARANTEE that it is back by that evening then your expectations are absurd.  In my experience it GENERALLY is back by that evening, but not always.  So it comes back the next day.  Those of you who are totally "offended" by the "breaking of a promise" are being ridiculous in my opinion.  This is a wonderful benefit that didn't exist a few years ago.  When we did a 44 night cruise in 2018 we had to pay for our laundry or do it ourself.  I thought the ability to put my clothes in the wash and order a martini to the laundry room was a pretty good benefit.  But NOTHING like putting it out for them to do and have it returned in perfect condition, folded neatly in a great box and allowing me to spend my time doing something OTHER than laundry.  

So complain if it makes you feel better, but I sure won't.  

Oh...by the way... the crew, especially the butlers and cabin stewards, work EXTREMELY hard to make your experience wonderful.  Maybe appreciate THAT rather than getting upset because your laundry showed up the next day instead of same day. 

And I can just imagine cabin stewards and butlers getting on the phone to the laundry all morning long asking them when the laundry for cabin xyz will be done GUARANTEED!   Can you even imagine the workload that the laundry personnel has to do EVERY DAY?  

Ok....let the flaming begin. 😏

Right on!  Gone are the days of running from deck to deck looking for an available washer/dryer in one of the laundry rooms.  Present are the days when I can bag up the laundry and get it back cleaned, pressed, folded, - whether it be today or tomorrow.  Thank you Regent!!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Have found that a written note to the steward, even if you speak in person, is very helpful.  Especially if you are asking for a specific wine, liquor or soft drink. Sometimes the steward might not be familiar with that particular item, but if it is written down, they can get help tracking it down.

• Like 5

On 4/8/2023 at 9:08 AM, papaflamingo said:

Do you really believe that a cabin steward can accurately predict the time it takes for laundry to be done?  ...

I was going to make that point myself.  They are run off their feet usually.  That being said, the OP should arrange to meet their steward and straighten out expectations on both sides.

• Like 1

Ok,  so on our last cruise, I did add my one neutral colored bra to the laundry with the promise it would be back sometime later that night (it was put out well before 9am and it was picked up, also).   Well, that night I didn’t have it, the next morning I didn’t have it, either.  This was going to cause some issues in my clothing choices.  I’m not a fan of the black bra under the white shirt look!  

Our room attendant, very nice wasn’t quite getting my need  -  until I explained that my missing laundry had my only beige colored bra in it.  I had that laundry in my room 10 minutes later.  I washed  it myself after that.  Mind you all of my husbands Tshirts always came back that night! 

1 hour ago, irishwitchy said:

Ok,  so on our last cruise, I did add my one neutral colored bra to the laundry with the promise it would be back sometime later that night (it was put out well before 9am and it was picked up, also).   Well, that night I didn’t have it, the next morning I didn’t have it, either.  This was going to cause some issues in my clothing choices.  I’m not a fan of the black bra under the white shirt look!  

Our room attendant, very nice wasn’t quite getting my need  -  until I explained that my missing laundry had my only beige colored bra in it.  I had that laundry in my room 10 minutes later.  I washed  it myself after that.  Mind you all of my husbands Tshirts always came back that night! 

I don’t want to hijack this thread, but can you tell me more about the laundry? We have our first Regent cruise in August to Alaska. I don’t put a lot of things in the dryer at home - I’m assuming all laundry done on board is dried? I’m concerned about some things shrinking and others being damaged if washed incorrectly.